Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebeatnicknick
The Innovator
Male User Gallery

How big/how long can mycelium spread?
    #5820390 - 07/04/06 03:18 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

If I were to take one of my cakes and put it in a giant tub of brf/verm, and it was not full colonized, would the myc fully colonize the tub? And if so, would I have a forest on my hands?

If myc just keeps on spreading until you give it the go ahead, then all i would need is a shit load of brf/verm to have the biggest yield I've ever had.

--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
Re: How big/how long can mycelium spread? [Re: beatnicknick]
    #5820401 - 07/04/06 03:22 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

until it meets a contamination.

it grows as large as it can.

when spawning, brf/verm is a very poor choice for a bulk substrate.
try using horse poo or coco coir.

and one cake won't do very well.

you'll need 1/4 as much spawn (colonized cakes or grains) as bulk substrate for it to work. 1/10 is possible, but at that low of a
ratio, contaminations have a long time to set in and grow.

there is no easy answer.
don't you think someone else would have already thought of it if there was?

keep on learning.

--------------------

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5820409 - 07/04/06 03:23 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

in theory, sure it will.  the largest living organism on earth is a gigantic underground mycelium network.  however in the actual practice of home cultivation, and especially if using brf/verm, your tub will contaminate or dry out long before the mycelium gets a chance.  what you're speaking of is basically bulk spawning, where colonized grains or crumbled brf cakes are added to a bulk substrate to expand the total amount of substrate you're dealing with.  but generally it takes more than one cake depending on what you want to do.  its usually done in a 1:4 ratio (1 part colonized crumbled cakes or grain spawn to 4 parts bulk substrate), and things such as horse manure, compost, or coir are used as the bulk substrate because they colonize very quickly in this manner.  by using a spawn ratio like that and a quickly colonizing substrate, you can get it done in time before contams or moisture become an issue.  search around for monotubs, they use the basic idea you speak of but with the method i speak of. :smile:  :thumbup:

Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
Re: How big/how long can mycelium spread? [Re: creamcorn]
    #5820424 - 07/04/06 03:25 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

jinx.

you owe me a joint.
:hehehe:

--------------------

Offlinebeatnicknick
The Innovator
Male User Gallery

Re: How big/how long can mycelium spread? [Re: monstermitch]
    #5820757 - 07/04/06 05:13 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Alright so i could take a fully pooped out cake (I have around 6 cakes starting to colonize but I'm going to fruit before I try this bulk substrate thing) and put this fully pooped out cake in someting with about 4 jars of sterilized substrate, have that fully colonize, take that giant substate, and put it in a thing with about 12 jars worth of substrate and have that colonize, and I could just keep repeating the process, and once I fruit, I'll have a VERY large yield.

--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
    #5820766 - 07/04/06 05:17 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

yes, in theory. however, it would get contaminated after a few transfers... people have contams just with their spawning and casing... and that's just one transfer

--------------------

Offlinefaceyneck
Legitimate Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: upper body area
Re: How big/how long can mycelium spread? [Re: liamtheloser]
    #5820793 - 07/04/06 05:23 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

There isn't any point in theorizing about this stuff, beatnicknick. Generations of cultivators have already worked this basic shit out so that you and I don't have to. Follow the bulk teks, or innovate on your own after mastering their strategies.

--------------------
Anything posted here, is total bullshit.
My Meyers-Briggs Personality: INTJ
New growers, or anyone else just needing help; I'm always glad to help right here. :grin:

We give cultivation advice here. :super:

AMU Q & A - We're glad to help
My Doggy Door Greenhouse!          First Ever Shmuvbox Tek!          Do Manure Right!

Offlinekranked
it'smushtastic!!

Re: How big/how long can mycelium spread? [Re: faceyneck]
    #5820814 - 07/04/06 05:28 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

An endless supply of myc would be nice. Could you imagine one of those 200L rubber maid bins full of spawn? You just dip in for some whenever you need it, and add more nutrient/moisture from time to time.

--------------------
"When it went off in New Mexico, that first atomic bomb, we thought of Alfred Nobel and his hope, his vain hope, that dynamite would put an end to all war"

-Robert Oppenheimer 1945

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds