Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetwelvelookslikeu
Stranger
 User Gallery

Do you hunt alone?
    #5816442 - 07/03/06 03:43 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Who here hunts alone?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Do you hunt alone? [Re: twelvelookslikeu]
    #5816446 - 07/03/06 03:44 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

95% of the time, yes.

Miles in the middle of nowhere too.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Do you hunt alone? [Re: eris]
    #5816468 - 07/03/06 03:51 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Same here.

Alone in the deep woods, often several miles from the nearest road. I almost never tell anyone where I'm going. I don't carry a cell phone either.

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
    #5816474 - 07/03/06 03:53 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

50/50....I do however enjoy the lack of words spoken when one is alone.
The sounds of the woods can be quite loud.
:wink:

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Do you hunt alone? [Re: shroomydan]
    #5816530 - 07/03/06 04:07 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I take nothing with me but a paper bag and camera most of the time. I don't even own a cell phone. :crazy:

Sometimes a bottle of water and a stick.

--------------------
The OG Thread Killer

InvisibleAmatoxin
Injected With A Poison

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not So Great Britain
    #5816558 - 07/03/06 04:16 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I hunt alone. Mesh bag, mushroom knife, a snack, bottle of water and a sat-nav to pinpoint good spots for future reference  :wink:

--------------------

Sectioned Under The Mental Health Act Sat 20-10-07 to Thurs 01-11-07 for playing TECHNO music

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

#5816600 - 07/03/06 04:24 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I always bring a backpack with food and water, usually a liter of mountain dew, paper bags, a camera, flashlight, lighter, poncho, and multi-tool. I find my sticks along the way.

When hunting alone in the woods you have to be very careful not to injure yourself. I have never encountered another person in the woods, except on a marked trail. If you hurt yourself in the deep woods, chances are no one will find you for weeks.

I once jumped over a log and twisted my ankle pretty bad. The thought of having to hobble out of there on one leg was sobering. After a few minutes the throbbing stopped and I was able to put weight on it. Another time my foot slipped on a rock as I was trying to jump a small creek three miles from the road and way off any beaten path. I landed on my shoulder in the water. Had I landed a little differently, I might have knocked myself out and drowned. I am much more careful crossing creeks these days. I have also encountered bears, rattle snakes, and hornet nests. I was also once stalked by a feral dog. The dog was probably just looking for a friend, but you can't be too careful when you are alone in the woods.

Gods speaks to me out there.

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
    #5816713 - 07/03/06 04:51 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

twelvelookslikeu said:
Who here hunts alone?

Gotta creepy feelin you want to molest me in the woods... :shocked:. j\k. Yeah most of the time by myself. rest of the time with my wife. I don't feel the need to list all the inanimate items I take since I didn't think thats what you asked. I prefer to hunt alone.

Offlinetwelvelookslikeu
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Do you hunt alone? [Re: Pinhead]
    #5816721 - 07/03/06 04:54 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Hahahahaha! Yea it does kinda sound that way.

--------------------

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5816735 - 07/03/06 04:59 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Good point - better safe than sorry.

Once I flipped a log over out there but part of it was still attached to the ground(it must have been a stump that looked like a log). It made a loud snap noise and before I knew what happened I had hundreds of bees on me! :shocked:

I jumped up and ran as fast as I possibly could, dropping a big bag of edibles that I had spent hours hunting and a machete.
I only got stung two times somehow, so I guess I was lucky. I used to be on the track team, so I'm pretty fast but I could have tripped on something and got injured or stuck out there.

Sucks that I lost those mushrooms because I had some really cool things in the bags. Some that were new to me which I wanted t take home to identify. Also a bunch of edibles that were in prime eating condition. :sad:

I have ran into people more than once. it is kind of startling. Especially when they are hunters that are packing shotguns and rifles. I try to avoid anyone if possible when out there.

--------------------
The OG Thread Killer

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

#5816762 - 07/03/06 05:09 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I have about three huge Bee hives I have stumbled upon.. Its not the best feeling when you walk right up on them...

This hive is over 8 feet tall and 48 inch's plus around...

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

Edited by YESSUP (07/03/06 05:11 PM)

Offlinehomegrownusa
OrganicMechanic
Male
Loc: Central Florida
    #5816810 - 07/03/06 05:27 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I pick alone most of the time and I've had some scary shit happen out there today I had a big ass boar chase me. I saw the heard but he wasnt with them so I'm walkin the woodline finding monster cube colonies and this thing came barreling through the woods grunting I ran like shit into the herd of cows and he left me alone but the young bull got pissed but he let me be. I hunt fields before light sometimes usually eating as I pick its eiry out there by yourself. I got shot at 7 times 8 years ago by myself had to pull a superman over the wires, I was so spun I've never run so fast he was only like 25 yards from me told me to not move,I said sorry sir I'll get off your field he said again dont move, thats when I wheeled he was behind a tree I couldn't see him i darted back and forth like a deer. My burlap bag got caught on the fence, I ran back to my truck and peeled down the road jumped out and grabbed my bag off the wires, yes I had to grab my bag there was like 2 dry lbs. I'm happy I didnt die to some rednecks hands and my corpse lay rot like some of the cattle I see thats probably what would have happened. I wish I could get permmision for more fields but Its hard to find the housees and when you do theres people standing there with shotguns want to blast dready hippie kyds. Why cant everybody live in peace

Offlineghostofbmarley
booyakasha
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: author's mind
Re: Do you hunt alone? [Re: homegrownusa]
    #5817027 - 07/03/06 06:31 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

For me it is a lot easier to hunt alone.  I am a mushroom-picking noob, so I could see the benefit of going w/ others who have more experience.  However I feel a lot more stealthy and aware of my surroundings w/o having to worry about someone else's safety.  (Fellow NC'ers who want a partner sometime, PM me  :wink: )

I carry a cell phone just in case, id, camera case (mushie basket), and camera.  I am sure I eventually will get out of range the longer I search for these caerulipes.

@homegrownusa - That is the situation I am most scared of...trigger happy land owners.  I have asked permission before, but I am trying to use google earth to get an idea as to what areas to avoid when permission has been denied or I have not yet req'd it.

I hadn't considered the threat of a bee nest in the woods.  Hmpf.  Something to consider...

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: Do you hunt alone? [Re: ghostofbmarley]
    #5817048 - 07/03/06 06:34 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Don't ignore that faint buzzing sound. You can usually hear bees long before you are close enough for them to feel threatened.

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

#5817073 - 07/03/06 06:39 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

shroomydan said:
Don't ignore that faint buzzing sound. You can usually hear bees long before you are close enough for them to feel threatened.

The hive above was very very quiet...
However the hive I came across last week was so alive I heard it from about 50 feet away.

The huge threat here is Africanised Bee's.. You don't just run away from them and most folks that get attacked by them don't make it home.....

--------------------

Offlinehomegrownusa
OrganicMechanic
Male
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Do you hunt alone? [Re: ghostofbmarley]
    #5817877 - 07/03/06 09:55 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I feel you ghost I am much more aware alone plus I dont like slackers and I move quick

Anonymous

Re: Do you hunt alone? [Re: homegrownusa]
    #5817987 - 07/03/06 10:24 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

yes. but im a girl and i hate those damn ticks that get on me even if i use a spray.

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
Re: Do you hunt alone? [Re: ]
    #5818022 - 07/03/06 10:34 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

stillpure said:
yes. but im a girl and i hate those damn ticks that get on me even if i use a spray.

In the woods alone?.. I'm good at getting the ticks off. :wink:

OfflineTomcat23
Shoomery Noob
Male

Loc: Central Florida, Gulf Coa...
Re: Do you hunt alone? [Re: Pinhead]
    #5818098 - 07/03/06 10:54 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I hunt alone 85% of the time, I find it ALOT stealthier and I dont have to worry about some prick getting me caught, plus its kinda peaceful. I hunt fields that are complete unknown territory and fields that are sometimes close to busy roads, but I've never been spotted before. I also carry a cellphone just incase, and id, and grocery bags (but I hate em) and I have to get used to not taking a flashlight with me. On the other hand its nice to have a buddy there whos got your back.

--------------------
Mescaline man, im in need!!!

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Do you hunt alone? [Re: Tomcat23]
    #5818149 - 07/03/06 11:10 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I hunt alone most of the time also. Yes, peaceful.
But, I like it too when my girl comes along, it's like we find twice as mush :cool:

Good words of advice shroomydan. Alot of people don't think about things like that  :thumbup:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates