Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Question about Myco Grow Bags
    #581496 - 03/17/02 05:36 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I have been wanting to grow shrooms for years, but I am none to good with plans. But, I saw those Myco Grow Bags off sporeworks and thought I would give them a try.

I have got two questions for you:
1. I live in a cold climate. I know that I need to keep them at good temperature. My solution would be a incadesent light, but would be worried about the light interfering with colonization and growth. If I put them in a box, will the heat still get through?

2. How much yield (dried) should I get from each bag? I am sure it varies by strain (I bought Puerto Rican off Sporeworks), but just a guess would be nice (2 grams? 5 grams? 10 grams? )

Thanks in advance

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Psilocybe Microscopist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Question about Myco Grow Bags [Re: wagley]
    #581551 - 03/17/02 06:57 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Exposure to light doesn't hurt anything. I know it says to keep them in the box but the worst that could happen is fruiting before the substrate was fully colonized. But since you periodically mix the substrate through the bag, its an unlikely problem. You do want to avoid direct contact with a heat source. A light is fine but don't let it get too hot in an enclosed place and its best to shield the bag from the direct light since an in candescent light bulb gives off a lot of infrared heat. A small flourescent light for heats tends to be a better choice and would likely keep a box in the right range with less danger of overheating. It is best to setup your heating idea with a max/min thermometer and let it stablized before you risk cooking your substrate. The top of a refrigerator is usually warm enough for most species.

Dry yields have been averaging 1/2 ounce (14 grams) per bag after all flushes have been harvested. Most of the crop will be available in the first two flushes with meager fruits there after. I haven't heard of any flushes beyond the 4th.

Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

#581620 - 03/17/02 08:39 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I'm having what I think is probably exceptional luck with the bags. I use the boxes the bags ship in and just put the box directly on a Kmart heating pad that I keep at medium heat the whole time, except when I get the mycelium growth all over and move to fruiting phase, I turn the heat off for 20 hours and open the box tops. They are near a window. No direct sun, but lots of ambient natural light. I turn the heat back on to medium. In this batch, my yield is 20g dried per bag. I used the Equadorean spores. You can see my reports here:

Thanks [Re: tappuck]
    #581757 - 03/17/02 11:36 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I appreciate your helpful advice. Thanks.

#17939222 - 03/11/13 05:19 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

hi i have a growbag question. my bag is fully colonized and is pinning mostly on the side.i wanted to know if i can just case the bag in perlite and put on foil in a pk tek setup to fruit.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation