Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineomnikk
Stranger
 User Gallery
I've spent hours. Please help identify
    #5810751 - 07/01/06 08:22 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

These mushrooms were found in western pennsylvania, US.
It's just about july. I found these landscaping. They was growing in
mulch of some sort. There was locust and birch trees nearby.
I've spent alot of time trying to figure out what these are and can't quite find an exact match.
Approx. 80 degrees

While searching for a match I temporarily came to the conclusion it was some sort of lepiota

FRESH:
Cap: White with brown .. scales? about 3 cm to 10 cm
Gills: white/light brown, not connected to stem
Stem: bulb like at base when shroom is taller, partial ring about 3/4 of the way up. approx. 1/2 cm at top to 1.2 cm at base (varying by size of mushroom of course)
Spore Print: Couldn't seem to get one from these?
Scent: Smells about the same as any other shroom I've picked from mulch.

DRY:
Cap: Pinkish/dark brown with brown .. scales? about 3 cm to 10 cm
Gills: beigh/to dark brown, not connected to stem
Stem: bulb like at base when shroom is taller, partial ring about 3/4 of the way up. approx. 1/2 cm at top to 1.2 cm at base (varying by size of mushroom of course)
Spore Print: Couldn't seem to get one from these?
Scent: A bit stronger than when fresh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
Re: I've spent hours. Please help identify [Re: omnikk]
    #5810784 - 07/01/06 08:39 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Lepiota seems like a reasonable guess. Hard to know a species with those pictures. The spore print should be white, so if you put the cap down on white paper that could be why you didn't see a print. Try some black paper and let the cap sit over night.

Nice job on the pic and description and welcome to the shroomery.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: I've spent hours. Please help identify [Re: xmush]
    #5810928 - 07/01/06 09:45 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

rotten lepiotas

InvisibleshroominDole
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: O.C . S o. C a l .
Re: I've spent hours. Please help identify [Re: xmush]
    #5810935 - 07/01/06 09:47 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

With Lepiota ( or any )you want to mention bruising rections where handled or cut.....sometimes spore prints can be kind of quik or not and like X mentioned gotta watch out for white spores on white paper.....if those are Lepiotas bruising reddish they could be quite deadly......also alls I see is a bunch of shadows.....anyway to get some CLEAR well lit close - ups showing gills, stem, etc......job well done on the descriptions that looks like was a lot of work.....but I would say just from descriptions alone and pic you might of done well on that I.D. and very possibly a deadly type of Lepiota.....what were you using for I.D. just internet or.....?

--------------------
Worlds Largest 'Liberty Cap' (Cali Libs Confirmed !)
' Comments On Hallucinogenic Agarics And The Hallucinations Of Those Who Study Them '
Alexander H. Smith
Mycologia vol.69 1977

OfflineDrunkenAttempt
Chemically Inclined
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nova Scotia, CANADA
Re: I've spent hours. Please help identify [Re: shroominDole]
    #5810951 - 07/01/06 09:55 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

it's way to hard to give a good ID with those pics, go to the spot you picked them and try to find some fresh ones...my guess would be lepiota spheniscispora but something is telling me they're not even lepiotas

--------------------

Nature is my God, Science is my religion.

Offlineomnikk
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5811128 - 07/01/06 10:53 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

First of all... I'm completely new to mushroom hunting. I've gone over many of texts and photos. The lepiota sites though seems to lack quite a bit of information.

Sadly I cannot give a better picture at the moment. My camera isn't working... I had to scan those :smile:. I did use the internet to identify them. As far asthe spore prints most came up white though there were a few that left slightly orange prints. My conclusion is lepiota americana. I think the pictures and descriptions of this particular shroom is the closest. It mentions that these (if they're the var. americana) are edible. It does say though that they contain toxins which may upset stomachs. One thing I can't find though is quite which chemical's they contain. My hope is that they're psychoactive but no site seems to mention this aspect.

The mushrooms, by the way, were alot lighter in color (whitish/pinkish) when freshly picked and also had white gills. The darkness I'm assuming is because I had to transport them in a plastic bag for an hour in order to hide them from my boss :smile:. I've noticed that alot of mushrooms that have rings, bulb-like bases, and scales combined tend to be either real potent or real deadly. Of course this may not be the case.

One last thing. There was (I don't know if this helps) brown mushrooms that looked like the (can't recall the name) 'wavy capped' psilcybe.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #5811158 - 07/01/06 11:07 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

The size range you give for the caps is a bit low for Lepiota americana. While it's possible that's what they are, I sure wouldn't bet on it.

The smaller species of Lepiota, especially the brown capped ones, include several species with high levels of amatoxins, the stuff that makes deadly Amanita species deadly.

Quote:

It does say though that they contain toxins which may upset stomachs. One thing I can't find though is quite which chemical's they contain. My hope is that they're psychoactive but no site seems to mention this aspect.

The reason they don't give any info about the chemicals is that they still haven't been studied enough for any professional to stake their professional reputation on the results. As far as being psychoactive, I know of no reports of psychoactive Lepiotas. Since several of the species are deadly, it's a bad genus for experimentation.

All of the species of Lepiota that are worth eating (and reasonably easy to identify) have caps that are 4 or more inches across when expanded. Since these max out at about 4 inches (according to your numbers above), they should not be eaten.

Nice description, which helps us a lot.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineomnikk
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5811169 - 07/01/06 11:14 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Oh um ... heh
No, I'm not dumb enough to eat one but .. I am dumb enough to taste one. They made my tongue somewhat numb. I don't know if this is a trait of any specific chemical or not but ....

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Unless the numbness is a good sign, these are going into the trash.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale