Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: The concept of a "sound" has no boundaries. [Re: Syle]
    #5816174 - 07/03/06 02:12 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Oops, no. We become more and more dependent of them, that is why we use so much technology to get aware and even better aware of what our senses can't support.
But the conglomeration of all information must not be disregarded by this view..
Only the sum and the 'diversity' make sense 'together'.

It is about getting as much information as possible about something what matters to us.
For best ways for our interaction.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
Re: The concept of a "sound" has no boundaries. [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #5816269 - 07/03/06 02:43 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Hmmm, it still seems to me that perhaps in 1000 years or 10,000 years, however long it takes, our senses might regress to a 1/4 or 1/10 or whatever, of the acuteness they are now simply because we do not rely on them anymore to be perfectly trained. Perhaps I am just talking about classical conditioning of the 5 senses to only things that matter to us anymore (in modern times, hearing = music, entertainment, communicating, whereas it used to be hearing = protection against predators in the wild, etc)

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

Offlinecapliberty
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5816344 - 07/03/06 03:08 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

huh

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #5816499 - 07/03/06 03:59 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

But we just recognized that we only can experience a small range of natural information directly, yet. We will need all our senses to develop means to recognize the other range of that spectrum.
Total mind-journey without outside-relations will not give valuable feedback, so our senses are in no danger to go dull.
Perhaps overinformation will make some senses dull.
That is why we have to evade 'unnatural' overload of information from time to time...to sharpen our senses.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Re: The concept of a "sound" has no boundaries. [Re: BlueCoyote]
    #5816820 - 07/03/06 05:32 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BlueCoyote said:
Perhaps overinformation will make some senses dull.
That is why we have to evade 'unnatural' overload of information from time to time...to sharpen our senses.

This is what I was talking about. Through societal conditioning, TV, loud music, etc (and if we keep up the sensory overload for a millenia lets say...) then our senses will regress.

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #5816832 - 07/03/06 05:36 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I don't understand the logic behind that. If the sensory devices are recieving an overload of sensation, then it would make more sense that the senses would evolve to better receive the higher amount of sensory data that is interacting with the device.

:earth: :sun: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Re: The concept of a "sound" has no boundaries. [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5816852 - 07/03/06 05:40 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
I don't understand the logic behind that. If the sensory devices are recieving an overload of sensation, then it would make more sense that the senses would evolve to better receive the higher amount of sensory data that is interacting with the device.

Well, take this example. Take your average human who has been overloaded with TV, music and any other type of sensory overload you can think of.

Then throw them out into the woods and see how well they can hear a cougar hunting them. Or whehter or not they can hear a flowing river in the distance.

I doubt this person would be as well prepared "sense-wise" as someone who doesn't get all this modern sensory overloading.

Now, if this is kept up for centuries and centuries, don't you think that our instinctual senses will regress?

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #5816878 - 07/03/06 05:48 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

What do you mean by "sensory overload"? More sensory input than what the device can detect, or a certain kind of sensory input that is doing physical damage to the device?

I don't understand how a sense that is normally exposed to higher levels of sensory input is somehow going to be less able to detect sounds when there is not as much sensory data, unless the device itself receives physical damage... which makes one wonder if, over time, the device would evolve to the point where it would not be damaged by higher levels of sensory data. :grin:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

#5817055 - 07/03/06 06:36 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Oh! Interesting thought!

I suppose I was refering to "damage to the device" when I was talking about overload.

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #5817608 - 07/03/06 08:44 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
What do you mean by "sensory overload"? More sensory input than what the device can detect, or a certain kind of sensory input that is doing physical damage to the device?

I don't understand how a sense that is normally exposed to higher levels of sensory input is somehow going to be less able to detect sounds when there is not as much sensory data, unless the device itself receives physical damage... which makes one wonder if, over time, the device would evolve to the point where it would not be damaged by higher levels of sensory data. :grin:

Your ear has a sensory clamp. If you expose yourself to too much volume of noise/music for too long a period, your ears will put about a -20 dB pad on themselves.

Im sure you have noticed that when you come out of a loud concert you feel like you need to pop your ears.....

this happens with smell as well... im not sure about sight though.

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Re: The concept of a "sound" has no boundaries. [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #5817670 - 07/03/06 09:04 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
Quote:

fireworks_god said:

Your ear has a sensory clamp. If you expose yourself to too much volume of noise/music for too long a period, your ears will put about a -20 dB pad on themselves.

Im sure you have noticed that when you come out of a loud concert you feel like you need to pop your ears.....

this happens with smell as well... im not sure about sight though.

Damn't...someone can always explain what's in my head better than i can  :crazy:  Good post

--------------------

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

#5817683 - 07/03/06 09:07 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:

I wonder, even if we are consistantly exposed to high volumes, wouldnt the mutation leading to the eventual evolution still require some benefit to survival for it to be effectively passed on to subsequent generations?  Unless the people who are exposing themselves to high volumes die if their ears do not adapt, I cant see how this could become an evolutionary advancement. Maybe if the deaf people lose their sex appeal, that would actually do it.

I imagine though, that if the ears evolved to the point of non-damage at high volumes, it would be a de-sensitization to the sonic input, therefor resulting in a downregulation of the sense. I think the range of what we hear would remain relatively consistent, which in essence would only put us more out of sync with the natural world, and more in tune with that of man and machine. 

:heart: Peace :heart:

:hippie:

Edited by Quoiyaien (07/03/06 10:00 PM)

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #5824174 - 07/05/06 04:03 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Image if sound were like time. Immeasureable (sp?).

but its not, a soundwave is like a lightwave or any other wave. its a vibration.

Quote:

But, what if we could hear without our ears and actually tap into the unaltered sound waves.

ever heard of a neurophone?

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Re: The concept of a "sound" has no boundaries. [Re: kotik]
    #5824665 - 07/05/06 06:06 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

ohh, what's a neurophone?

--------------------

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

#5824772 - 07/05/06 06:39 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Syle said:
ohh, what's a neurophone?

Neurophone

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: The concept of a "sound" has no boundaries. [Re: Quoiyaien]
    #5825221 - 07/05/06 08:30 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

This profound digital engineering offers a quality of ultrasonic transmission that is more accurate and rich in harmonics than an analog representation, offering a more enriching and stimulating experience.

this is complete bullshit. Poo on the neurophone. This thing is such a piece of crap it probably never made it onto the 4 am Popeil show.

Profound digital engineering.....HA! The day will come when the sample rate of digital audio will be able to accurately replicate analog audio, but never will digital audio surpass analog audio.

This is like trying to say that there is a color out there that is whiter than the purest white......

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Re: The concept of a "sound" has no boundaries. [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #5828003 - 07/06/06 03:08 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:

Profound digital engineering.....HA! The day will come when the sample rate of digital audio will be able to accurately replicate analog audio, but never will digital audio surpass analog audio.

Amen brother!

Edited by Quoiyaien (07/06/06 05:47 PM)

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #5828855 - 07/06/06 06:44 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

If we don't blow ourselves up or anything, over the next century some people will almost certainly begin to use genetic engineering to enhance the senses we already have. Maybe even add senses we don't have now. We'll probably figure out the implant scene sooner than later, first to repair broken senses (give sight to the blind) and then to enhance anyone's senses.

Actually it will only start to happen this century. I think it will take a while for most people to get used to, and will probably be banned in many countries. I think it already is in the US.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Re: The concept of a "sound" has no boundaries. [Re: trendal]
    #5828870 - 07/06/06 06:47 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
If we don't blow ourselves up or anything, over the next century some people will almost certainly begin to use genetic engineering to enhance the senses we already have. Maybe even add senses we don't have now. We'll probably figure out the implant scene sooner than later, first to repair broken senses (give sight to the blind) and then to enhance anyone's senses.

Actually it will only start to happen this century. I think it will take a while for most people to get used to, and will probably be banned in many countries. I think it already is in the US.

What other senses could there be?

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #5828891 - 07/06/06 06:52 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

None that I can think of, it's just a possibility. Who knows what they could do after 200 years of genetic engineering? Or 1000 years?

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale