Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
OfflineTwister
Lucrative
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Let's discuss inner monologue [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #4443974 - 07/23/05 05:54 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HELLA_TIGHT said:
I doubt you'd really think because your brain wouldn't be developed.

What about people that are deaf and mute. Or blind as well like Helen Keller. The fact that Keller was able to learn to "speak" shows that just becasue they can't express their thoughts, at least initially, doesn't mean that they don't think. The brain will still develop, it will just develop in a manner that consists of functions outside of the missing senses.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinericyjo
I'm a teapot

Loc: -53.121600, 73.763943
Re: Let's discuss inner monologue [Re: AvatarofAtavism]
    #4443987 - 07/23/05 05:57 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

what if two crazy people were having an interior dialogue and then discovered they were actually talking to eachother through strong thought? would that be considered crazy or just plain fucking cool?

OfflineKhaunshar
Stranger

Loc: BE
Re: Let's discuss inner monologue [Re: Twister]
    #4444193 - 07/23/05 06:45 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i talk to myself intensely when im riding a bike,
i like the sound of me  :rolleyes:

cheers :mushroom2:

--------------------
fashs and cops, both go down, as the aggro spreads across town, bricks n bottles fall like rain, evil coppers double up in pain

OfflinePuZuZu
Board Bum
 User Gallery

Loc: Idaho (USA)
Re: Let's discuss inner monologue [Re: Khaunshar]
    #4444549 - 07/23/05 08:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Khaunshar said:

Totally dude. I'm probably always talking to myself on a bike. I ride to everything on a bike. Only downfall is there is no radio on a bike. hehe. THats alright though. I'm able to entertain myself and think out very logical things on a bike.

Can relate to that very much. :thumbup:

--------------------
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you would never get on."
Lance Armstrong

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Let's discuss inner monologue [Re: AvatarofAtavism]
    #4444576 - 07/23/05 08:14 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Inner dialogue eh? Well, nothing wrong with that either, as long as it is productive.

I talk to myself a lot, never when people are around. But, walking to work I tend to hold conversations with myself about things. Just, taking numerous positions on an opinion, and arguing them out vocaly. I know that would be a bit odd to anyone listening in when I get into a heated argument with myself. I get going pretty fast and loud when I think I am on to something, heh.

YES! I argue and debate with myself. And I'll honestly like..practically take 2 sides and really debate. I've had this conversation already.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
Re: Let's discuss inner monologue [Re: Krishna]
    #4444624 - 07/23/05 08:33 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Krishna said:
I've noticed that I've also begun to think/talk-to-myself not just in English (which is my mother tongue), but also in danish and norwegian - since i very rarely speak english nowadays. makes for a confused jumbled mess in my head!

Interesting, I actually do that all the time in English, Spanish and very rarely some Japanese expressions. The first time I noticed I was thinking in a foreign language was when I was in the bathroom and thought "where's the TP?" :lol:
Amazing, coming from someone who began learning English at age 15.

On a side note, when I'm playing any musical instrument I end up thinking in sounds, or relating the sounds I'm hearing to very concrete ideas/sensations.  It shows a lot when gigging, I begin to play the set and slowly start thinking in sounds, until I just think in sounds at the middle of the show... and when the songs are over, I need some time to recover and start thinking in words again :grin:

Food for thought  :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

OfflinePuZuZu
Board Bum
 User Gallery

Re: Let's discuss inner monologue [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #4445248 - 07/23/05 11:39 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Deepman said:
Quote:

Krishna said:
I've noticed that I've also begun to think/talk-to-myself not just in English (which is my mother tongue), but also in danish and norwegian - since i very rarely speak english nowadays. makes for a confused jumbled mess in my head!

Interesting, I actually do that all the time in English, Spanish and very rarely some Japanese expressions. The first time I noticed I was thinking in a foreign language was when I was in the bathroom and thought "where's the TP?" :lol:
Amazing, coming from someone who began learning English at age 15.

On a side note, when I'm playing any musical instrument I end up thinking in sounds, or relating the sounds I'm hearing to very concrete ideas/sensations.  It shows a lot when gigging, I begin to play the set and slowly start thinking in sounds, until I just think in sounds at the middle of the show... and when the songs are over, I need some time to recover and start thinking in words again :grin:

Food for thought  :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

Yeah. I played Everquest so much that I'd type out actions in my head or start abbreviating things with game nicknames into real life. Its interesting because it really makes the mind flow smoothly.

Theres no boundaries. Only familiar places.

--------------------
Lance Armstrong

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Re: Let's discuss inner monologue [Re: PuZuZu]
    #4445496 - 07/24/05 01:09 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

PuZuZu said:
Quote:

Khaunshar said:

Totally dude. I'm probably always talking to myself on a bike. I ride to everything on a bike. Only downfall is there is no radio on a bike. hehe. THats alright though. I'm able to entertain myself and think out very logical things on a bike.

It's the rythm. Take a walk, step step step, as you stride along. Ride a bike, pedal pedal pedal, at an even pace. Keep going, it becomes a pattern. It's something to work from. A concrete base on reality. Logical developing thought ensues. The vein grows longer, or maybe you're just travelling deeper.

If you know what I mean.

I love when I walk home and I know the way so well that it requires no concious thought. An hour turns into one long moment. Am I home already?

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

OfflinekAAk
Connor Intergalactic
Male

Loc: northern europe
Re: Let's discuss inner monologue [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #4445935 - 07/24/05 04:12 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

But, walking to work I tend to hold conversations with myself about things. Just, taking numerous positions on an opinion, and arguing them out vocaly.

I do this too. Especially if I know I'm going to have a quarrel of some sort in near future with someone. It helps to anticipate the other ones reactions, and usually results in verbal ownage and humiliation. Other times, it might go all upside down. But I do this inner dialogue-thing almost all of my time, so I'm quite good at it already. :sun:

--------------------
Smoke City - a board game about stoners!
Kickstarter opens on 4/20!

OfflinePuZuZu
Board Bum
 User Gallery

Re: Let's discuss inner monologue [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #4446875 - 07/24/05 01:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

hobbitcg said:
Quote:

PuZuZu said:
Quote:

Khaunshar said:

It's the rythm. Take a walk, step step step, as you stride along. Ride a bike, pedal pedal pedal, at an even pace. Keep going, it becomes a pattern. It's something to work from. A concrete base on reality. Logical developing thought ensues. The vein grows longer, or maybe you're just travelling deeper.

If you know what I mean.

I love when I walk home and I know the way so well that it requires no concious thought. An hour turns into one long moment. Am I home already?

Yeah. A repetitive route everyday can make itself a place in my head. Its funny. You start to hate parts of the route, love parts of the route, avoid parts of the route (like mailboxes in the middle of the sidewalk) and know the time real well. I've been doing this one route for 8 weeks and I'm happy its over this last week.

I love the simplicity of a walk or pedal stroke. It doesn't take much thought but it does so much for you.

--------------------
Lance Armstrong

Offlinesensesreal
trippinnn.
Female User Gallery

Loc: california
Re: Let's discuss inner monologue [Re: freddurgan]
    #5804795 - 06/29/06 10:00 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

its pretty crazy that you bring this up because my last trip, thats all i could think about.
i always think to myself, ever since i was little, i've just talked in my head. like, i can perfectly hear my voice and everything, but my mouth does move, and i make no sound.

the trip before that, i was so convinced that i was speaking outloud.
so like after being silent and thinking to myself, i'd be like "you know?"
and i totally confused my friend that i was trippin with.

i hate it though, it's like i'm communicating with my concious!

--------------------

"I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human,
with the soul of a clown which forces me to
blow it at the most important moments."

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
Re: Let's discuss inner monologue [Re: sensesreal]
    #5804885 - 06/29/06 10:33 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I wonder if mute/deff people have the same problem. Will they make symbols with there fingers and hands while thinking deeply?

I dont so much vibrate my vocal coard while thinking, more like my lips and tung feel the urge to creat speach. I'm sure if you watch me for long enouph you'll see me twitch my lips or you might see me use my tung muscles. I'm pretty sure theres a way you can tell if someone is using there tung even if the tung isnt visable.

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offlinebobjones
Male

Loc: Tx
Re: Let's discuss inner monologue [Re: freddurgan]
    #5805088 - 06/29/06 11:27 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

i do that as well...except it happens most of the time in my car.
i'll be driving along and suddenly 'wake up' and wonder where it was that i was going.

as far as internal dialogs are concerned, i've discovered 3 disctinct voices that come and go inside my head. but only two of them are ever voiced out loud.

--------------------
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read"
-Groucho Marx

Offlinesome1whoisntme
Stranger

Re: Let's discuss inner monologue [Re: sensesreal]
    #5805164 - 06/29/06 11:45 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

sensesreal said:
its pretty crazy that you bring this up because my last trip, thats all i could think about.
i always think to myself, ever since i was little, i've just talked in my head. like, i can perfectly hear my voice and everything, but my mouth does move, and i make no sound.

the trip before that, i was so convinced that i was speaking outloud.
so like after being silent and thinking to myself, i'd be like "you know?"
and i totally confused my friend that i was trippin with.

i hate it though, it's like i'm communicating with my concious!

The last time I tripped I had a conversation with myself in the mirror. It was crazy, like I really was talking to another person. That goes on in my head all the time though; I don't have an inner monologue I have an inner dialogue. Usually one of the "voices" so to speak thinks the other's ideas are stupid, which sometimes leads to me getting pretty down on myself, but once I realized that's what I was doing I don't get so depressed.

--------------------
"Ignore the distortion you're forced to percieve and believe that what supercedes is love, but who agrees?"

Offlinesome1whoisntme
Stranger

Re: Let's discuss inner monologue [Re: Idiot]
    #5806304 - 06/30/06 08:48 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Idiot said:
I wonder if mute/deff people have the same problem. Will they make symbols with there fingers and hands while thinking deeply?

I dont so much vibrate my vocal coard while thinking, more like my lips and tung feel the urge to creat speach. I'm sure if you watch me for long enouph you'll see me twitch my lips or you might see me use my tung muscles. I'm pretty sure theres a way you can tell if someone is using there tung even if the tung isnt visable.

The other day while driving I saw a deaf man signing to himself and laughing next to me at a red light, so, yeah.

--------------------
"Ignore the distortion you're forced to percieve and believe that what supercedes is love, but who agrees?"

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds