Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsiloptile
a legal alien
Male User Gallery

One of the tastiest and most overlooked mushrooms..
    #5805371 - 06/30/06 12:29 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I know this is mostly about psilos.. I'm going to deviate a bit. The Kombucha mushroom (tea mushroom) is really easy to cultivate, extremely resillient to any contam, and tastes great.. Basically just chills in a jar full of really sweet tea.. It feeds on the sugars while flavoring and carbonating the tea.. tastes great..

--------------------
Everything I write is false.. I made it up.. Or did I? Yep.. I did.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

Re: One of the tastiest and most overlooked mushrooms.. [Re: Psiloptile]
    #5805408 - 06/30/06 12:38 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

MMmmmmm I want some....where do I get it?

Invisiblealbino_shroom
you say early, Isay already
Male

Loc: everywhere but here
Re: One of the tastiest and most overlooked mushrooms.. [Re: Zwieback0]
    #5805428 - 06/30/06 12:44 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Whats it taste like? Would it appeal to someone like myself who does not like the taste of mushrooms?

--------------------
"If it wasn't for my white guilt, I'd make you cry."

OfflinePsiloptile
a legal alien
Male User Gallery

Re: One of the tastiest and most overlooked mushrooms.. [Re: albino_shroom]
    #5805470 - 06/30/06 12:59 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

It's difficult to describe the tast.. It's sort of tangy, I guess? If any of you are russian, and Familiar with KVAS, it's similar to that. It doesn't taste like mushrooms at all.. More like a carbonated soft drink.. sweet and sour at the same time.. Really refreshing. Stick it in the fridge for 10 minutes, and it's set.

You can get it all over the internet, just google Kambucha. Or you can get one from a friend, if he's growing one (I got mine from my girlfriend's dad).. If you care for it, it'll be with you for a veeery long time. They always grow new fruitbodies, right on top of the old one.. SO you throw out the old used up shroom, and keep the nice new one.

Those who are interested in cultivating, order the mushroom, and when it arrives, brew up a couple of tea bags.. and dump in a bunch of sugar.. 5-6 tea spoons for a gallon jar. Let the tea cool and throw the shroom in. he'll sink to the bottom at first, it'll take him a couple of days to aclimatize.. Once he does, give him two days or so, and pour. Just keep making him tea.

--------------------

Edited by Psiloptile (06/30/06 01:01 AM)

OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
    #5805489 - 06/30/06 01:04 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

That is seriously weird man, that is crazy,

But it does sound interesting, to grow and check it out, thanks for sharing :thumbup:

--------------------

Atheist Chat

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #5805668 - 06/30/06 02:04 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

It might be worthwhile to mention that technically it is not a mushroom, but a symbiosis of dozens of species of bacteria and yeasts.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: One of the tastiest and most overlooked mushrooms.. [Re: Anno]
    #5805848 - 06/30/06 03:11 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I had one of those a long time ago. They are pretty damn cool. I wish I had spent some time studying it. It seems to grow like a fungus, but apparently it's not. I don't know how a symbiosis of single celled bacteria and yeasts could produce a complex multicellular organism. Amazing.

Here is an interesting article by Paul Stamets on it.
http://fungi.com/info/articles/blob.html

-FF

OfflinePsiloptile
a legal alien
Male User Gallery

Re: One of the tastiest and most overlooked mushrooms.. [Re: fastfred]
    #5806156 - 06/30/06 07:02 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Oh, not a mushroom? I guess i should've researched it more before spreading the news.. Sorry guys, for the mis-info.. And thanks for the corrections.

--------------------

OfflineCapless
Student
 User Gallery

#5806169 - 06/30/06 07:11 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Psiloptile said:
Oh, not a mushroom? I guess i should've researched it more before spreading the news.. Sorry guys, for the mis-info.. And thanks for the corrections.

According to that article you did nothing wrong. That missconception has been floating around for some odd hudreds of years. None-the-less it's probably one of the cooler things I've come across. I would consider it almost a premordial developing animal of sorts.

--------------------
http://www.toolband.com/
"... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember, We are eternal.
all this pain is an illusion...."

OfflineCubenisseur
Mad Props
Male

Loc: Indian Land
Re: One of the tastiest and most overlooked mushrooms.. [Re: Capless]
    #5806200 - 06/30/06 07:47 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

~Far out man~  :afro:

Offlineretro_killa
[d-_-b]
I'm a teapot
Loc: Texas Flag
Re: One of the tastiest and most overlooked mushrooms.. [Re: fastfred]
    #5806219 - 06/30/06 07:58 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
I had one of those a long time ago. They are pretty damn cool. I wish I had spent some time studying it. It seems to grow like a fungus, but apparently it's not. I don't know how a symbiosis of single celled bacteria and yeasts could produce a complex multicellular organism. Amazing.

Here is an interesting article by Paul Stamets on it.
http://fungi.com/info/articles/blob.html

-FF

It's been claimed that Kombucha:

* Increases longevity
* Cures cancer
* Cures rheumatism
* Improves vision
* Prolongs sexual appetite and performance
* Cures bronchitis and asthma
* Cures kidney illnesses
* Cures cataracts
* Cures cardiac illnesses
* Cures diabetes
* Cures diarrhea
* Takes away white hair
* Grows black hair
* Is effective against herpes
* Increases appetite and helps digestion
* Cures insomnia
* Lowers hypertension
* Reverses the symptoms of AIDS

--------------------
- Get outdoors it's amazing!
- Enjoy life to the fullest \m/ d-_-b \m/
- RESPECT

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: One of the tastiest and most overlooked mushrooms.. [Re: retro_killa]
    #5806287 - 06/30/06 08:41 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Mrs Rabbit has been growing them for years. What nobody seems to have mentioned is it produces 1% to 2% alcohol, so in addition to any health benefits, you also cop a mild buzz.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePsiloptile
a legal alien
Male User Gallery

Re: One of the tastiest and most overlooked mushrooms.. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5806619 - 06/30/06 11:53 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

"In every step of the preparation process, it is important that hands and utensils (anything that is going to come into contact with the culture) are kept extremely clean so as not to contaminate the kombucha. The only adverse reactions that have been observed in conjunction with kombucha use or preparation were connected to improper storage or contamination of the culture."

--------------------

Offlinekristen
Burn out..don't fade away
 User Gallery
    #5806967 - 06/30/06 02:35 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the tip-off. Found someone in my area that I'm getting a culture from.

Offlinejohnhenry
Minderbinder
Loc: capital-evil empire
Re: One of the tastiest and most overlooked mushrooms.. [Re: kristen]
    #5807126 - 06/30/06 03:34 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The no adverse effects is incorrect. About 10-15 years ago these were real popular amongst new agers. I can't recall exactly what happened but some people out in California got real sick, and it wasn't from contamination. I think it somehow threw off their ph balance, but I could be way off base. I used to drink a cup of tea every morning and I felt great. After reading the article about people getting sick after long term use I quit. You need to research adverse effects before assuming that all is positive about Kambucka tea. Peace

Invisiblecappa
Nerd
Re: One of the tastiest and most overlooked mushrooms.. [Re: johnhenry]
    #5808247 - 07/01/06 12:13 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Wild sauce. I want a pet Kambucka!

--------------------
Their are 10 types of people. Those that understand binary, and those who don't.
~Cappa.

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: One of the tastiest and most overlooked mushrooms.. [Re: cappa]
    #5810688 - 07/01/06 07:41 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Hey now!
Good taste of the tea aside, I wanted to throw in my two cents of caution for anyone considering using/cultivating this. During a visit to Stamets' farm many years ago he cautioned heavily about this specific species. Thanks also to Fastfred for finding that article! I copied a few parts with his calls for caution so that it was easier for those with limited time to see what his concerns are without having to read through the whole piece.

here it is;

I do not see the advantage of taking Kombucha by people in good health. Given the detrimental effects seen from prolonged exposure to antibiotics, the repeated, long term use of Kombucha may cause its own universe of problems. I wonder about those people who have adverse reactions to antibiotics? What about those with sensitivity to the microorganisms in Kombucha? I personally believe it is morally reprehensible to pass on this colony to sick or healthy friends when, to date, so little is known about its proper use. At present there are no credible, recent studies as to the safety or usefulness of Kombucha, despite decades of hype.

Many people who are sick are taking Kombucha with false hopes of a miracle cure. If their Kombucha has become contaminated, and they continue drinking it, their spiral into ill-health may actually be exacerbated. In this case, the negative effect of Kombucha use may be masked by the underlying illness for which a cure is sought.

This is one of the suspect causes being investigated with a woman in Iowa who died from drinking Kombucha (See Newsweek, April 25th, 1995, pg. 6). Ironically, the same acidic conditions that prevent bacterial contamination may give rise to its own toxic side-effects.

High acidity of the broth aside, I have seen several of my vessels spontaneously contaminate with molds. Of most concern are the species of Aspergillus I have found floating around with Kombucha. I fear that amateurs could think that by merely pulling out the Aspergillus colonies with a fork, that the culture would be de-contaminated, a dangerous, even deadly presupposition

The water-soluble toxins of Aspergillus can be highly carcinogenic. Several species are known killers. Since the public can not be expected to distinguish a clean fermented culture from one which is not, I fear that the unreserved use of this tea will result, has resulted in illness, if not death. (See Newsweek, April 25th, 1995, pg. 6.)

Okay well that's all, just wanted to chime in here,
Light and Love,
Jeremy Davis

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: One of the tastiest and most overlooked mushrooms.. [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #5811887 - 07/02/06 09:07 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I've known paul for many years, but you have to consider the source. People have also died from eating poisonous mushrooms, but he doesn't advise against eating mushrooms, or even antibiotic mushrooms such as oysters.

People have been drinking kambucha tea for at least several centuries. Folk medicine should be receiving the respect it deserves since it has developed over thousands of years based on human experience. In fact, mrs rabbit was raised with, and learned about kambucha from her father, a medical doctor and surgeon.

Mrs Rabbit makes her kambucha LC on the kitchen counter right next to where she also keeps her cultures for buttermilk and sourdough bread. She's never had a cross contamination yet, and I know-I put a few drops from every batch on a microscope slide to study. As correctly stated above, kambucha is not a mushroom.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineCoolMojo
Imagination iswhat you make ofit
Folding@home Statistics
    #5812233 - 07/02/06 11:51 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

There was a problem with it a few years back. A few people that shared starters in a town got sick. One person died from aparently lactic acidosis (sp?). Kombucha is very acidic and aparently caused the problem. Or more acuratly the problem existed, the kombucha just gave it a nudge.

When I hear all this "this will kill u don't do it" stuff it just gets anoying. Everything can kill you, stop trying to live forever.

The taste I can best describe as apple cider with a hint of tea flavor. I find that generally if u like cider you'll like kombucha.

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
    #5812244 - 07/02/06 11:55 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

No doubt! Respect given fully to folk medicine. I guess all substances will have some few people with unexpected side effects, etc. Also definitely the source must be considered :-)

As a brief aside, Paul did also caution against eating mushrooms, those that aren't cooked, specifically. I'll have to google for the antibiotic in oysters (I know of the 27+ polysaccharides, triterpenoids, sesquinols, etc. but must've overlooked the antibiotics (probably easily found in the Mycomedicinals book, no?))

Also just puttin' in my two cents as caution is always advisable in anything you're considering.
Love ya brother!
Light and Love to all,
JD

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds