Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRedHead
composted cow manure experiment
    #577923 - 03/13/02 02:13 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

hey,
i got a 1.4 qt clear tupperware container (with lid) yesterday.  then i went to farm and fleet and got this 40lb bag of cow manure compost i have been looking at.  the bag is white and has a picture of a cow head on it and it says "america's best." it says it's grade 0.5-0.5-0.5.  something like: at least 0.5% nitrogen, 0.5% phosphoric acid, 0.5% potash.  from what i have read stuff like this is hit or miss.  so i thought i'd try to get a hit  i put some in the 1.4 qt tupperware i got- mixed in some distilled water and nuked it for 10 minutes.  i let it cool in the microwave overnight.  when i checked it this morning it was quite dry (i hope this isn't what happens to worm castings)- so i added some moisture back in using an h202 solution (1/4 cup h202:4 cups distilled water) in a spray bottle.  then crumbled up a 1/4 pint pf (b+) cake and tossed it in and put the lid on (the lid has a small hole punched in it and polyfill was taped over the hole)  i did all this after sterilizing my hands and gloves with alcohol.  i also worked in the draft of the oven.  i put it in my incubation bin (~85 degrees) and we'll see what happens.  hopefully i have 40lbs of usable substrate :smile:  i hope i added the right amount of water.  how long should it be until i notice growth (if it grows at all that is)?  anyone have a better way of doing this?

red

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
Re: composted cow manure experiment [Re: RedHead]
    #577931 - 03/13/02 02:26 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Growth can be expected to be noticeable anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks. You'll see the cake peices whiten up pretty early on in this time frame, but it may take awhile before the growth spreads out......it takes some time for the mycelium to get used to the new substrate medium and begin to digest it.......after that the mycelium will run straight through that dung in no time flat!!

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OfflineRedHead
Re: composted cow manure experiment [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #577956 - 03/13/02 02:53 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

do you think this stuff will work?

Invisiblenight trainV
Stranger
Male

Loc: Midwest US
    #578044 - 03/13/02 05:16 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

When using store bought compost/manure, it's best to cut it with vermiculite or coir to fluff it up a little so it doesn't turn into a big brick. Generally 50% compost/manure to 50% vermiculite is a good mix.

--------------------
Lil' Shop of Spores - Exotic Mushroom Spores From Around the World
Save 10% Off Any Order Use Coupon Code: SHROOMERY

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #579259 - 03/14/02 11:37 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Never used that stuff so I don't know......but for the most part I have had very limited success indoors with store bought composts.......if it doesn't work inside, you can bet it will outside.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #579356 - 03/15/02 02:30 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I'm betting nothing will happen.
Or the mycellium will grow a little on the cake spots but won't run through the manure.
Store bought stuff is generally over composted.
The best results i've seen via store bought was steer manure/compost mix. that was allright.
The analaysis .5-.5-.5 is real low so I'm betting it's not going to work. All the nutrients have been used up. I have bought manure with that same analaysis long story short it didn't work.
Hope yours does though that would be pleasantly refreshing :smile: 

Offlinekayaman9
enthusiast
Loc: windy city
Re: composted cow manure experiment [Re: psilocybinjunkie]
    #579584 - 03/15/02 10:26 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

My friends had great success with the store bought composted manure. It was the New plant life brand and He just mixed it with straw for great results. He found that mixing it with anything else didn't work very well. Although there was one brand of mushroom compost they used to sell at home depot that wasn't spent compost, and he got DB style results from, Huge flushes. hope this helps a little

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: composted cow manure experiment [Re: kayaman9]
    #579641 - 03/15/02 11:58 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

cool thats great to hear...

OfflineRedHead
Re: composted cow manure experiment [Re: psilocybinjunkie]
    #579667 - 03/15/02 12:35 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

well it has been about 48 hours and there has been quite a bit of growth. it looks quite white in many places- especially on top. i really can't see that well because of the nature of the container- but it looks like nice rhizo growth. hope it continues. if, for some reason, it stalls (i don't think it's going to) i may get some wheat straw and mix in with it. anyone know a good way to prepare that?

red

Offlinebadjessejames
G HEAD

Loc: :) Passed out on my co...
    #579727 - 03/15/02 01:41 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Keep us posted!...

--------------------

"My generation played a really mean trick on me. I thought we were all
goofing off together, but it turns out everybody else went and got rich
while I was sleeping." Mission Hill

OfflineSkankfeet
journeyman
    #580008 - 03/15/02 07:26 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Just cut the straw into short pieces and boil it (sometimes you gotta set a plate or something on it to hold it down) like you would jars. I saw a while back about using the straw in a layer between 2 layers of the manure. I tried your method years ago ...worked for me but I can see where it would be very dependent on the manure... and besides stunk like dookey when cooking...better half made me stop...I just case with potting soil now

--------------------
I'm never SURE of anything

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: composted cow manure experiment [Re: kayaman9]
    #581134 - 03/17/02 05:27 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Home depot, (or any other large chain) has never sold mushroom compost that wasn't spent. The only reason they sell "mushroom compost" is to put in a vegetable garden, not to grow mushrooms with! Unspent compost intended for mushrooms would be worthless to a gardner, therefore they have no reason to sell it. And no, they will not sell a compost for all those mushroom growers, because there aren't anywhere near enough to make it econmically viable especially given the relatively short shelf life of premium compost.

But if you found a compost there that worked well, good for you. It just wasn't an unspent mushroom compost.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order