Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineYamidude
Stranger

Dry PC ??
    #5798167 - 06/28/06 03:35 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Ok heres the situation. I was just PC'ing some WBS jars. My pc is a 10psi weighted one so i was shooting for 90 minutes PC time. I have pre tested the water levels to see how long i could pc for. Apparently a variable changed. About an hour and 15 minutes into pc i heard the steam slow down considerably then sound like it was really about to stop. I removed it from heat and released the pressure.

The WBS looks ok, not dark or badly burnt or anything. I closely inspected them and i noticed little bitty tiny specs of darkness like almost burning on some of the pieces of seed.

So ? being. If they got a little bit too hot for about 5 minutes should they still be ok most likely? I can still see moisture and it looks right on as far as moisture level goes. Just a few slightly overheated pieces..

thanks for any advice.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Dry PC ?? [Re: Yamidude]
    #5798179 - 06/28/06 03:42 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Should be fine unless they are obviously dry.

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

Re: Dry PC ?? [Re: fastfred]
    #5798189 - 06/28/06 03:45 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
Should be fine unless they are obviously dry.

kinda what i was thinking, i just wanted some other input. I figured unless they were obviously baked to hell and dry that they would be ok. I checked all of them and the moisture level seem pretty dang good.

I used Foo Mans WBS tek. seemed to work pretty well aside from the lame PC going dry on me. But at an hour and fifteen minutes i think they are good to go.

Z-strain will meet WBS tomorrow morning.

Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, East Coast
    #5798592 - 06/28/06 09:50 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yamidude writes:
"I removed it from heat and released the pressure. "

I'm told that releasing the pressure on a PC will cause moisture to be sucked out of the jars and possibly cause them to crack.

"So ? being. If they got a little bit too hot for about 5 minutes should they still be ok most likely? I can still see moisture and it looks right on as far as moisture level goes. Just a few slightly overheated pieces.."

If they look fine, sure, try it. But if it were me I'd redo the grains. $3 and an hour of your time gets you back to square 1 with no worry.

That's not advice so much as how I'd handle it.

splif

--------------------
First Grow: Ecuador -> LC -> HPoo/Straw -> Monotub
Build a Do-It-Yourself Magnetic Stirrer in thirty minutes with no money.

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dry PC ?? [Re: splifner180]
    #5798607 - 06/28/06 10:04 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

splifner180 said:
Yamidude writes:
"I removed it from heat and released the pressure. "

I'm told that releasing the pressure on a PC will cause moisture to be sucked out of the jars and possibly cause them to crack.

"So ? being. If they got a little bit too hot for about 5 minutes should they still be ok most likely? I can still see moisture and it looks right on as far as moisture level goes. Just a few slightly overheated pieces.."

If they look fine, sure, try it. But if it were me I'd redo the grains. $3 and an hour of your time gets you back to square 1 with no worry.

That's not advice so much as how I'd handle it.

splif

I always force the pressure out. Wether the jars are sealed air tight or have air able to move about. I havent run into a problem as of yet and i been doing this for quite some time now.

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dry PC ?? [Re: Citric]
    #5798797 - 06/28/06 11:51 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You should NEVER release pressure from the pc. Always allow it to cool naturally. You also should never run out of water during a 90 minute cycle. 1/2" of water in the bottom will easily last that long. It's important to turn down the stove once pressure is reached in order to find the minimum setting that will maintain the desired pressure. If you leave the stove on high, the water will boil out very fast.

There is also a very good chance your pc is ruined. They're not designed to be on a hot burner while dry. If it's warped in any way, don't use it again.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

Re: Dry PC ?? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5798936 - 06/28/06 12:48 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
You should NEVER release pressure from the pc. Always allow it to cool naturally. You also should never run out of water during a 90 minute cycle. 1/2" of water in the bottom will easily last that long. It's important to turn down the stove once pressure is reached in order to find the minimum setting that will maintain the desired pressure. If you leave the stove on high, the water will boil out very fast.

There is also a very good chance your pc is ruined. They're not designed to be on a hot burner while dry. If it's warped in any way, don't use it again.
RR

is there some reason why one should not release the pressure aside from that's how it's normally done?

I turned the stove down to MED-Low after pressure was reached. I also had at least an inch in the PC.

It was not on a hot burner dry for more than 4 or 5 minutes. After i took it off the burner steam was still blowing out like old faithfull so it couldn't have been dry for very long if steam and moisture was still coming out right?

Im going to just innoc 3 jars as a trial to see if what happenend ruined them or not. The rest im just going to re-do.

Edited by Yamidude (06/28/06 01:03 PM)

Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, East Coast
    #5799813 - 06/28/06 05:38 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Citric writes:
"I always force the pressure out. Wether the jars are sealed air tight or have air able to move about. I havent run into a problem as of yet and i been doing this for quite some time now. "

Don't get me wrong, you're certainly welcome to have spider-monkey sex with your PC if you so desire. But that doesn't change the fact that you'll cause moisture to escape your jars when you do.

I didn't make up physics. I just live here. =)

splif

--------------------
First Grow: Ecuador -> LC -> HPoo/Straw -> Monotub
Build a Do-It-Yourself Magnetic Stirrer in thirty minutes with no money.

OfflineYamidude
Stranger

Re: Dry PC ?? [Re: splifner180]
    #5800085 - 06/28/06 06:59 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

splifner180 said:
Citric writes:
"I always force the pressure out. Wether the jars are sealed air tight or have air able to move about. I havent run into a problem as of yet and i been doing this for quite some time now. "

Don't get me wrong, you're certainly welcome to have spider-monkey sex with your PC if you so desire. But that doesn't change the fact that you'll cause moisture to escape your jars when you do.

I didn't make up physics. I just live here. =)

splif

I do agree with you splif , when you look at things from a physics POV, this morning i checked them again before innoculating and they still seemed to have pretty much the perfect moisture content. No sludgy mess, no standing water. Just well moisturized WBS.

iono. I mean i do agree with you about relieving the pressure and i would not have done that had there still been water in the PC. But when i found out it was running dry i kinda went into rescue mode and wanted the jars out ASAP to prevent scorching/burning.

Oh well, lesson learned. We'll see how they turn out.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation