Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShadyConfessions
Stranger
New Grower Questions
    #5796036 - 06/27/06 02:45 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Hi I'm a soon to be first time grower and wanted to ask some questions.

1. Instead of using jars for cakes couldn't I get those aluminum foil trays and cover them with plastic with holes punched in it? Or would it have a lesser effect than the jars.

2. How much mushrooms do you get from a half pint cake?

3. If someone used something other than jars for the cakes to germinate then could you please tell me?

4. I was just wondering, if you put marijuana in the cake with the brown rice flower and vermiculite, would that possibly add THC to the mushrooms or would you just be wasting pot?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAtheist
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: New Grower Questions [Re: ShadyConfessions]
    #5796049 - 06/27/06 02:50 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ShadyConfessions said:

4. I was just wondering, if you put marijuana in the cake with the brown rice flower and vermiculite, would that possibly add THC to the mushrooms or would you just be wasting pot?

:rolleyes:

Invisibletoole
white-thumb (Onewhackmycophiliac)
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: spore #1203 - bas 2.34 - ...
Re: New Grower Questions [Re: Atheist]
    #5796155 - 06/27/06 03:34 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Hahahaha

1. Yes, but it would not be done in the same way you do a jar, read about casings if you like trays.

2. I use quarts..

3. Most people use jars. They work well.

4. When you make ganja brownies, do you just toss bud in your batter? Or do you melt down the bud's wall in a fatty substance?

..Don't melt down your bud into a cake..

Shrooms are shrooms, weed is weed.

--------------------
-the adventures of suse and prescott.9-

..and the neverending triscut of doom !

Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, East Coast
Re: New Grower Questions [Re: Atheist]
    #5796168 - 06/27/06 03:39 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

ShadyConfessions writes:
"Instead of using jars for cakes couldn't I get those aluminum foil trays and cover them with plastic with holes punched in it? Or would it have a lesser effect than the jars."

You can use anything you want so long as the material (a) survives the PCing (or boiling if you're doing PFtek), (b) the material doesn't leech chamicals into your cakes and (c) the material keeps all contams out until the inoculated cakes are completely colonized.

There might be other factors I'm not considering but it would be advisable to do jars if you can. They're cheap, they're ubiquitous and all the teks are written for them. Don't re-invent the wheel until you've achieved some serious knowledge. This hobby is both easier and harder than you think.

"How much mushrooms do you get from a half pint cake?"

You will be annoyed by the answers you get because the truthful answer is somewhere between "nothing" and "a lot." Take my advice; count on getting nothing. Read until your eyes bleed and your girlfriend is pissed that you spend more time on Shroomery than you do with her. Ask intelligent questions and then read s'more.

If you really want a number, 1/2 oz (14 g), dried. But I can pretty much guarantee that number is wrong. Not trying to be a dick. It's just a harsh reality of this hobby.

I'm on my third attempt (see sig). I'm seeing pins on my most recent grow but the first two didn't even result in mycelium, much less shrooms.

"If someone used something other than jars for the cakes to germinate then could you please tell me?"

Germinate? I assume you mean colonize; the span between injecting your cakes with spores and that cake being overrun by mycelium. That can take anywhere from a week to a month but from what I read it's generally around 2 weeks. My first grow took 13 days. And that was after a two runs that never colonized (about a month wasted).

"I was just wondering, if you put marijuana in the cake with the brown rice flower and vermiculite, would that possibly add THC to the mushrooms or would you just be wasting pot? "

No. I strongly recommend you take every bit if info you know about cannabis cultivation and forget it. From lighting to NPK to hydro to cloning, no techniques that apply to cannabis applies to cubensis.

Good luck.

splif

--------------------
First Grow: Ecuador -> LC -> HPoo/Straw -> Monotub
Build a Do-It-Yourself Magnetic Stirrer in thirty minutes with no money.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: New Grower Questions [Re: splifner180]
    #5796198 - 06/27/06 03:48 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

yep, the other missing point on the jars is you want to work with a container you can see inside, so that you know when they're done, and can spot contamination early.  half pints are most used with cakes because their size allows them to be colonized in an acceptable length of time without risk of stalling as sometimes occurrs in larger jars, and the shape of the jars allows cakes to slide out when completed.  a colonized cake is a big solid chunk, and you won't get it out of a container whose opening on top is smaller than the rest of the container.  if you're looking for something besides jars, read up on spawn bags (aka filter patch bags).  usually these are used with grains or other quicker colonizing substrates, you won't have much success with a brown rice/vermiculite mix in a spawn bag for the same reason you don't really want to use a jar larger than a half pint: it will take forever (and probably dry out and/or contaminate in the process.)

you almost definitely won't get a 1/2oz dried from any half pint cake, that's more than optimistic.  more like between 1/8 and 1/4 on the average.  some perform better, some perform worse.  some won't perform at all.  you can almost approach 1/2oz from a half pint worth of substrate, when cased... but you'll need to crumble and case several cakes to get a thick enough substrate depth to achieve such results.

and no, mushrooms will not "absorb" thc... you would be wasting weed.  make yourself some pot brownies with a mushroom chocolate frosting instead. :smile:

OfflineShadyConfessions
Stranger
Re: New Grower Questions [Re: creamcorn]
    #5796642 - 06/27/06 06:06 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Also couldn't I just use a store bought dehydrator for the mushrooms after they have been picked? or will that was mess up the potency?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale