Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
FAMM Drive 2006
    #5794348 - 06/26/06 11:03 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Go to www.FAMM.org NOW and then come back and read this post.

Once again it is my personal pleasure to introduce you all to Families Against Mandatory Minimums, who they are and what they do.

Families Against Mandatory Minimums (FAMM) is a national nonprofit organization founded in 1991 to challenge inflexible and excessive penalties required by mandatory sentencing laws. FAMM promotes sentencing policies that give judges the discretion to distinguish between defendants and sentence them according to their role in the offense, seriousness of the offense and potential for rehabilitation. FAMM's 35,000 members include prisoners and their families, attorneys, judges, criminal justice experts and concerned citizens. FAMM does not argue that crime should go unpunished - but the punishment must fit the crime.

As a leading advocate for sentencing justice, FAMM works to end mandatory sentencing laws by educating the public, lobbying federal and state lawmakers, building coalitions and promoting grassroots efforts. Local chapters take the FAMM message to their communities and to federal and state lawmakers. Read more about FAMM's programs.

As a victim of Mandatory Minimum sentencing I served a 4 month sentence in jail for possession of 1.3 grams of hash and had to pay $100 for the almost ounce of weed I had.. Yup. 1.3 grams of hash = 4 months MANDATORY while the ounce = $100 fine.

I got out of jail August 16th, the night of my 21st birthday and soon after I found FAMM.

The rest is history.. Its time again for my yearly donation of $500 and I ask you dig deep and find a few dollars that you can give.
https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index...%2Findex2%2Ehtm

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: FAMM Drive 2006 [Re: GabbaDj]
    #5795784 - 06/27/06 12:45 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

FAMM does not argue that crime should go unpunished - but the punishment must fit the crime.

I'll throw down a few bones for the cause. I see these cats hangin' around some of the shows I go to.. and while I sometimes feel that some of the people gettin' busted under these laws are just careless about their activity.. sitting in jail for 4 months over something as non-violent and personal as a gram of hashish is absolutely outrageous! Let's leave this topic stickied until August 16th.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Re: FAMM Drive 2006 [Re: geokills]
    #5796075 - 06/27/06 03:00 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, they sound like good people, but why the site-wide sticky? overkill.

--------------------
buh

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: FAMM Drive 2006 [Re: shirley knott]
    #5796224 - 06/27/06 03:58 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Just for freshness!  I'll probably tone it down to a Pub forum sticky soon. :yesnod:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Re: FAMM Drive 2006 [Re: geokills]
    #5796327 - 06/27/06 04:33 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

ok then. look at my boobs wiggling  :laugh:

--------------------
buh

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Re: FAMM Drive 2006 [Re: shirley knott]
    #5796525 - 06/27/06 05:33 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Wow.. When you reply here it shows in all forums.

Thats a neat trick.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #5798195 - 06/28/06 01:48 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Awesome cause! This is something everyone here should be 100% for, so why not give it a site-wide sticky for awhile? If you can find a better, more worthy, and/or more likely to be achieved goal then I'm sure he would displace this sticky with it.

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
    #5816743 - 07/03/06 05:04 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

good cause, i'm in!

Offlineslaphappy
Its just me
 User Gallery

Loc: Norway, Eidsvoll, Råholt...
Re: FAMM Drive 2006 [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #5830537 - 07/07/06 04:26 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I'm in as well. I got fined for having 51 ecstasy in my home. I'm very happy that I'm not American.

Jails should be reserved for rapists and such.

--------------------
The argent messenger of truth beyond truth, the antithesis of life, cruel and bleak as interstellar space, pulseless and frozen as absolute zero, dazzling with the frost of irrefragable logic and unforgettable fact.

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
Re: FAMM Drive 2006 [Re: slaphappy]
    #5837888 - 07/09/06 04:46 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

jails were never built for criminals, they are built to do away with
the competition and people who talk to much.

also its a giant source of income that will be seriously deminished by any change in policy.

this will achieve nothing, and nothing ever will untill we start owning up to the reality of the situation.

heres a bitesise nugget:

Quote:

By Ken Ritter
ASSOCIATED PRESS

3:42 p.m. February 24, 2006

LAS VEGAS – Anti-tax crusader and author Irwin Schiff was sentenced Friday to more than 13 years in federal prison for advising people that no U.S. law required them to pay income tax.
Schiff, 78, remained defiant, declaring his innocence and accusing what he called a “fascist” government of stifling the truth. His lawyer pleaded for leniency, arguing that Schiff was mentally ill.

U.S. District Court Judge Kent Dawson said he was convinced Schiff knew what he was doing when he cast a “calculated and strategic” net using radio shows, seminars and advertisements to induce customers to buy his books and tax advice.
“It was a search for riches, and he had full control over his facilities, at least for the purpose of the violations that occurred,” the judge said.

Federal prosecutors had estimated 4,000 people filed so-called “zero” tax returns that Schiff espoused, costing the federal treasury about $57 million since 1999.

Dawson recalled Schiff's earlier boast from the witness stand that he helped thousands of followers avoid paying $2 billion in taxes, and used it against him.

“Thousands of tax returns; millions and maybe billions of dollars lost,” the judge said, branding Schiff and his Las Vegas company, Freedom Books, “a flimflam operation” that encouraged others to engage in a fraudulent tax evasion scheme.

“He took their money and left them holding the bag,” the judge said. “Of all those who have participated in this scheme, only he made money. He made lots of money.”

The judge picked the harshest sentence recommended in a federal pretrial report, 151 months, and added 12 months for contempt of court after ruling that Schiff improperly tried to influence the jury while serving as his own lawyer at trial.

Schiff was sanctioned 15 times during the five-week trial for what the judge called “false statements concerning the law to the jury.”

Schiff was unbowed Friday.

“There is no law that made me liable. There is no law that required me to pay the tax,” he declared.

The judge also sentenced Schiff to three years probation and ordered him to pay more than $4.2 million in restitution.

He was convicted of 13 conspiracy, tax evasion and tax fraud charges, and could have faced up to 43 years in prison.

The judge noted that Schiff was convicted twice before of failure to file income taxes. He served about four years in prison on a 1986 conviction.

Schiff was represented at sentencing by Chicago-based lawyer Michael Nash, who promised to appeal. Nash said two psychologists and a psychiatrist diagnosed Schiff with suicidal depression, bipolar mental disorder, paranoia and delusions that made him believe paying taxes was voluntary.

Two Schiff associates – Cynthia Neun and Lawrence Cohen – also have been sentenced to prison in the case.

Neun, 52, was sentenced Thursday to 68 months in federal prison and ordered to pay $1.1 million in restitution plus back taxes, interest and penalties. She was found guilty of 15 charges, including tax evasion and helping to file fraudulent tax returns.

Cohen, 65, was sentenced Feb. 3 to 33 months in prison on one conviction for aiding the filing of fraudulent tax returns.

Dawson said Schiff, who has family in New York and Connecticut, could serve his sentence at a federal prison in Danbury, Conn.

and thats just a guy who goes around telling people to not pay taxes after no1 is capable of showing him the law that says u have to...

tell me how a little pressure group is gonne mean anything to people like that?

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

OfflineDSD
devil

Loc: Bad,Bad person - minus ...
Re: FAMM Drive 2006 [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #5864293 - 07/16/06 04:06 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

i can't speak as ( eloquently ) well as the person before me - but there are many people suffering harsh sentences for antiquated drug laws - everyone that has a vote needs to be responsible in there choice. pick whoever - but know what and who you are voting for -- you see where we are now ! - every one has a choice - get your lazy ass out and vote - it could make a difference !!!

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
    #5864304 - 07/16/06 04:14 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

yeah like the last 2 elections healed america, im sure...

wake up people, your playing THEIR game, with THEIR constructs in THEIR ballpark.

if you want voting to matter your gonna have to start running for office people, cause the assholes who are there now are not going to listen to you.

remember how people voted massivly YES on the mdicinal MJ in california?
remember clinton saying fuck you?

voting only works if they like the results, and the massive ammounts of money they will loose by legalising weed and not putting half the county in jail is a shitload more then 99% of all murders are committed over.

so the only purpose this serves is to uphold the illusion and keep us firmly invested in THEIR systems, wich they know will lead us nowhere...

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Re: FAMM Drive 2006 [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #5867911 - 07/16/06 11:57 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

remember how people voted massivly YES on the mdicinal MJ in california?
remember clinton saying fuck you?

You mean the 56% victory that lets buyers clubs to operate here in California where people with a prescription can still today buy marijuana, smoke it and medicate their problems?

Even with ALL the anti-marijuana legislation, anti-marijuana government harassment and even the supreme court ruling that state laws cant supersede federal law (brought up specifically for prop 215) these clubs still operate and the sick and dying are still protected.

Did you read any of the FAMM site at all? Have you looked at FAMM's history in any way?

They have done more for the average citizen than even the ACLU has when it comes to unjust drug laws.

I just dont get what your saying? You sound against such things as FAMM and other groups like them. Do you want us to just accept our fate and not fight at all?

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Edited by GabbaDj (07/17/06 12:03 AM)

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #5876449 - 07/19/06 03:18 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Don't encourage him. :thumbdown:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds