Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
“Drug control is working, and the world drug problem is being contained.”
    #5795163 - 06/27/06 10:56 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

This is news to me

Quote:

Marijuana use 'out of control’ worldwide: UN official
(AP)

27 June 2006

WASHINGTON - Marijuana use worldwide is “out of control” because it grows everywhere, is in high demand and erroneously is considered by many to be harmless, a senior United Nations official said on Monday.

Antonio Maria Costa, executive director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, highlighted the marijuana problem at a news conference as he released his office’s 2006 World Drug Report.

Marijuana, also known as cannabis, is a danger because it contains increasingly potent amounts of THC, a banned substance, Costa said.

While governments around the world generally have succeeded in containing use of heroin, cocaine and amphetamines, Costa said marijuana is a different story.

Marijuana, he said, “is out of control.”

“It’s out of control in supply because it’s a weed; it grows everywhere. It’s out of control in demand because it’s erroneously considered a light drug.”

John Walters, head of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, agreed that marijuana is “a massive global problem.”

“It’s not just a gateway, it is a dead end as well as an opening for many other people who go on and use other things, and are polydrug users. It has been for a long time,” said Walters, who joined Costa at the news conference.

The UN report released by Costa generally was upbeat, boasting gains - including that opium poppy cultivation was down 22 percent in 2005.

On the negative side, the report found that cocaine use is reaching alarming levels in Western Europe.

It attributed the decline in opium poppy cultivation to cutbacks in the three main source countries of illicit opium in the world: Afghanistan, Myanmar and Laos. Opium is the main ingredient for heroin.

“In Afghanistan, in 2005, opium poppy cultivation decreased for the first time since 2001,” the report said. Still, it said, that country accounted for 89 percent of opium production worldwide.

The State Department’s annual report on illicit drugs, issued in March, acknowledged that opium production is hampering democracy-building efforts in Afghanistan.

“Afghanistan’s huge drug trade severely impacts efforts to rebuild the economy, develop a strong democratic government based on rule of law, and threatens regional stability,” the report said.

Despite the sharp decrease in the total area under cultivation in all opium-producing countries, the UN report said production was down only 5 percent due to more favorable weather conditions during the 2005 growing season in Afghanistan.

“The world’s supply of opium has shrunk, but in an unbalanced way,” the study said. “Within a few years, Asia’s notorious Golden Triangle, once the world’s narcotics epicenter, could become opium-free. But in Afghanistan, while the area under opium cultivation decreased in 2005, the country’s drug situation remains vulnerable to reversal. This could happen as early as 2006.”

Assessing the gamut of illicit drugs, from heroin to cocaine as well as marijuana, amphetamines and ecstasy, the report concluded: “Drug control is working, and the world drug problem is being contained.”

Levels of drug cultivation and drug addiction are much lower than they were 100 years ago, it said.

“Even more importantly, in the past few years, worldwide efforts to reduce the threat posed by illicit drugs have effectively reversed a quarter-century-long rise in drug abuse that, if left unchecked, could have become a global pandemic,” the report added.

WTF, since when did the DEA take over the UN? Drug addiction lower than a 100 years ago? Global pandemic? Drug control working? It hasn't even made a dent, prices are lower, quality is higher.

--------------------
futuretribe.space

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: “Drug control is working, and the world drug problem is being contained.” [Re: cybrbeast]
    #5795182 - 06/27/06 11:02 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The more I read "Food of the Gods," the more shit like this makes me baffled and bewildered.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Offlinetheorganicdomino
Psychedelic ZenBuddhist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Here & Now
Re: “Drug control is working, and the world drug problem is being contained.” [Re: cybrbeast]
    #5795218 - 06/27/06 11:16 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Er, to state the obvious, prohibition isn't working...

...and never has!

--------------------
"You've got to get hold of the thread of marching time, pull the fuck thing down, get on the end of it and pang yourself to the infinitude of absolute mind"
Ken Campbell - Furtive Nudist

"The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved but a reality to be experienced" - Aart van der Leeuw

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: “Drug control is working, and the world drug problem is being contained.” [Re: theorganicdomino]
    #5795251 - 06/27/06 11:28 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

the world drug problem is being contained.

:lol:

contained to what?

the world?

bra-fucking-vo

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: “Drug control is working, and the world drug problem is being contained.” [Re: OJK]
    #5795343 - 06/27/06 12:09 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah it's completely ridiculous, how can the UN come up with the drivel? I though the UN usually brought out adequate and trustworthy reports. I remember a couple of months ago that there was a report which stated that the drug 'problem' was getting bigger and that current policies were failing.

On a related note:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5527847173427564456
This is a great documentary about the war on drugs and how much money it's making the police and law inforcement. If this doc was mandatory viewing there wouldn't be a drugs war IMO.
It's a Dutch documentary, a few seconds of the prologue is in Dutch, but the rest is in English with Dutch subtitles.
I'll translate the prologue:
"How Nacy Reagan pushed her husband to start a war on drugs, how the war grew to a very profitable endeavour in which the bill was presented to poor people, black people and woman. These are tonight's messages from The New World (name of the documentary program)."
Here is a better quality version (but it's in realplayer format)(and different prologue)
part one
http://www.vpro.nl/programma/tegenlicht/afleveringen/12490764/media/13723110/
part two
http://www.vpro.nl/programma/tegenlicht/afleveringen/12493841/media/13723393/

It really opened my eyes even wider to how fucked up America is.

--------------------
futuretribe.space

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
    #5795360 - 06/27/06 12:12 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Levels of drug cultivation and drug addiction are much lower than they were 100 years ago, it said.

How much H do you have to inject to make yourself complacent to believe this?

--------------------

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
Re: “Drug control is working, and the world drug problem is being contained.” [Re: OJK]
    #5795405 - 06/27/06 12:24 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Odiumjunkie said:
Quote:

the world drug problem is being contained.

contained to what?

the world?

bra-fucking-vo

Offlinemellowrubberduck
NDE on 7/8/06
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: “Drug control is working, and the world drug problem is being contained.” [Re: buckwheat]
    #5795452 - 06/27/06 12:41 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The UN is worthless. Not just because of this article, but because they have not helped/solved any problem that has come about since the start of it but try and make people believe they are accomplishing something. The sheer fact that they say the drug trade is under control, something as big as that, proves that they are doing nothing.. The UN should be dis-established. The UN can kiss my ass.

OfflineAsanteA
low dose - high adventure
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Netherlands Flag
    #5795460 - 06/27/06 12:45 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Levels of drug cultivation and drug addiction are much lower than they were 100 years ago,

about 100 years ago each bottle of Coca Cola contained a dose of cocaine and the Sears catalog featured Bayer Heroin HCl and syringe kits on the same page. Doctors prescribed psychoactive drugs for everything.
And they barely had any synthetics at all, so virtually all drugs had to be cultivated. Amphetamines, methaqualone and MDMA aren't cultivated but they are taking over the world.

Nowadays just about everybody uses either coffee, tea, alcohol, tobacco or prescription pharmaceuticals throughout the world. But umm, these aren't drugs, right?

World population in 1900: 1.700.000.000
World users of pot in 2000: 250.000.000
Get TF out of here! the number af marijuana-users is 1/7 of the entire world population of 100 years ago, and thats the weed alone.

The people who EARN FAT BUCKS because of the War on Drugs are the ones writing the reports. Watch Cybrbeast's documentary, you'll be amazed at the real face of the War On Drugs, when investigated by an independent team of reporters.

--------------------
CDC  COVID  SELF-CHECKER  :syringe:  COVID  MAIN  THREAD  #2
Get 1 month's supplies in case of illness or calamity and help loved ones.
Strengthen your friendship ties - and exchange more favors and advice !

OMNICYCLIC YOU  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI

personal Ethereum gifts w/o strings attached are very welcome at:
0x9e107aC7656A4b2Fc295Ef5157f06B8E313D7aFa    Ethereum?

OfflinePlok
Life is fractal
Male

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: “Drug control is working, and the world drug problem is being contained.” [Re: Asante]
    #5795505 - 06/27/06 01:02 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I agree .. or read Judge James Gray's book "Why Our Drug Laws Have Failed: And What We Can Do About It"

--------------------
Just say NO to the War on Drugs.

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: “Drug control is working, and the world drug problem is being contained.” [Re: Plok]
    #5798567 - 06/28/06 09:14 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Did anyone see the documentary? I really recommend it

--------------------
futuretribe.space

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #5798874 - 06/28/06 12:24 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Haven't watched it yet but got it bookmarked for when I have some free time to.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals