Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetexasjoehotdog
Loc: Farmington, Maine
help with casing??
    #578803 - 03/14/02 01:16 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

if i make a casing with perlite in the bottom, do i just then put it in a terrarium with no other humidificatioin source? say... just place it in a rubbermaid container? Does andyone know a good place where i can read more about casings??

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: help with casing?? [Re: texasjoehotdog]
    #578826 - 03/14/02 01:42 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

FAQ! It has tons of info on casings. Casing teks are everywhere... Use Verm/Coir, or verm/peat... or just verm for a casing layer.

Hey, dont put perlite on the bottom...The bottom layer acts as a resivor for water, and a spounge to collect any deposits from the casing.

YOu still have to put the casing itself inot something that will keep the humidity high and temperature optimum.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #578830 - 03/14/02 01:48 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

wait wait wait... if i am to understand what your saying right... did you place the perlite INSIDE the pan/dish/whatever that your casing in, and THEN your puting in a rubbermaid dealy? that doesnt sound right to me, but im a little stoned.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: help with casing?? [Re: Todcasil]
    #578843 - 03/14/02 02:08 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Perlite is used for humidification, not in the casings. People DO use it in the casings, but I believe it sort of defeatst the purpose of a bottom casing layer. Just put damp verm on the bottom.

Perlite is put in the bottom of a TERRARIUM to up the humiditiy :wink:

Offlinetexasjoehotdog
Re: help with casing?? [Re: angryshroom]
    #578849 - 03/14/02 02:21 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

thanks thats what i was wondering...

another question... how do i lower the humidity in the terrariumn to initiate pinning? just fan more? and then stop fanning to raise the humidity to start the second flush?

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
    #578881 - 03/14/02 03:28 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

i say dont use a bottom casing layer.

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#578989 - 03/14/02 05:48 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Dude, you have to keep the humidity HIGHER to initiate pinning. Once they have formed to be about 1/4" high, THEN you lower your humidity.

Once piked, and patch cased, then up your humidity higher.

Yes you fan more to lower your humidity. However this isint the best way. Poke holes and fill with polyfill or sterlized cotton balls.

OfflinedDigitalPimp
Loc: PA
Re: help with casing?? [Re: angryshroom]
    #579195 - 03/14/02 10:20 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

i was wondering something similar about casings, how do i regulate RH if im using perlite?

Offlinetexasjoehotdog
Re: help with casing?? [Re: dDigitalPimp]
    #579447 - 03/15/02 07:20 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

word

Offlinefiddler4u
enthusiast
Loc: Where the shrooms are gre...
    #579453 - 03/15/02 07:38 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

You really need to read the FAQ....lol
It's real simple...no need to make it complicaded(spelling?).
The keys to pinning are.....fresh air......alittle light.....and cooler temps. Just think of mushrooms growing in the wild and how the mycl. act's to changes in the environment when they come to the surface. These 3 things will get you shrooms....trust me.
As far as the perlite......it's used to keep the surrounding air moist. To use it as a casing layer is a bad idea. However it has been done with sucsess. The perlite goes in the bottom of your terr.. This will keep the air nice and humid. Then you take your cake pan, tupperware bowl, what ever your using to hold your casing, and place that on top of the perlite in the bottom of your terr.
You wont need alot of humidity in there because your casing will also have water in it. Fan when you need to.
GoodLuck!

--------------------
I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me, and I in him, he will bare much fruit.
Apart from me you can do nothing. john 15:5

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #579466 - 03/15/02 08:06 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

ok.
find closeable/sealable container thats at least 8-10 inches tall. put 1/2 inch damn perlite on the bottom. put your substrate (2-3") on top of that. put your casing on top of that (1-1.5"). mist the walls and inside cover and incubate it all by itself (but its closed up). after 2 or 3 days just fruit it in the same container. just make sure it is large enough for them to grow. .5 + 2 + 1.5 is 4 inches that will be covering the bottom; and with a 10 inch terrarium that will give your dudes 6 inches of breathing room.
i would use weatherstripping on the closeable top in this instance as there is no other means of humidification; but depending on your containers seal this may not be necessary.
this is not the right or wrong way. this is just how i personally get 200+ gram flushes.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom