Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
U.N.: Worldwide Marijuana Use "Out of Control"
    #5793738 - 06/26/06 08:10 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

WASHINGTON — Marijuana use worldwide is out of control because the plant grows everywhere, is in high demand and erroneously is considered by many to be harmless, a U.N. agency said Monday.

Antonio Maria Costa, executive director of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, highlighted the marijuana problem at a news conference in releasing his office's 2006 World Drug Report.

Marijuana, also known as cannabis, is a danger because it contains THC, a banned substance, Costa said.

While governments around the world generally have succeeded in containing use of heroin, cocaine and amphetamines, marijuana is a different story, Costa said.

"It's out of control in supply because it's a weed; it grows everywhere. It's out of control in demand because it's erroneously considered a light drug," he said. "But, and indeed, it is extremely problematic because of much-increased THC, tetrahydrocannabinol, content."

John Walters, head of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, agreed that marijuana is "a massive global problem."

"It's not just a gateway, it is a dead end as well as an opening for many other people who go on and use other things, and are polydrug users. It has been for a long time," said Walters, who joined Costa at the news conference.

The U.N. report released by Costa generally was upbeat, boasting gains including that opium poppy cultivation was down 22 percent in 2005.
On the negative side, the report found that cocaine use is reaching alarming levels in Western Europe.

It attributed the decline in opium poppy cultivation to cutbacks in the three main source countries of illicit opium in the world: Afghanistan, Myanmar and Laos. Opium is the main ingredient for heroin.

"In Afghanistan, in 2005, opium poppy cultivation decreased for the first time since 2001," the report said. Still, it said, that country accounted for 89 percent of opium production worldwide.

The State Department's annual report on illicit drugs, issued in March, acknowledged that opium production is hampering democracy-building efforts in Afghanistan.

"Afghanistan's huge drug trade severely impacts efforts to rebuild the economy, develop a strong democratic government based on rule of law, and threatens regional stability," the report said.

Despite the sharp decrease in the total area under cultivation in all opium-producing countries, the U.N. report said production was down only 5 percent due to more favorable weather conditions during the 2005 growing season in Afghanistan.

Does anyone find it funny that the UN is more uneducated on this issue then the current and previous administrations of this country and the entire world that support the Eradication of a common plant that at one time grew around the world.

Does anyone find it ironic that the UN is trying to destroy and eradicate a indigenous plant that grows worldwide. To me this is the most mind boggling illogical heap of bullshit ive ever heard. The UN needs to be drowned in their own bullshit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: U.N.: Worldwide Marijuana Use "Out of Control" [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #5793740 - 06/26/06 08:12 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Just when I thought the UN could get any more worthless, they publish some bullshit like this.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: U.N.: Worldwide Marijuana Use "Out of Control" [Re: Redstorm]
    #5793812 - 06/26/06 08:31 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Just when I thought the UN could get any more worthless, they publish some bullshit like this.

tell me about it, the UN just disgusts me anymore, they have to be the biggest bunch of inept and corrupt douchebags in the world.

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
    #5794193 - 06/26/06 10:14 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The UN hardly invented this drug war propaganda. It sounds like their reading a page from the DEA. Almost exactly like it. The DEA was an invention of Nixon and the Republican party.

I've got a lot of respect for some of the things that come out of the UN. And I don't think they are "usless as tits on a bull" or whatever else some people say about them.

What is with the hatred of the UN anyways?

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: U.N.: Worldwide Marijuana Use "Out of Control" [Re: carbonhoots]
    #5794237 - 06/26/06 10:28 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I can name many off hand but if you want ill list a few reasons of why i dont like them to much.

The Srebrenitsa massacre in 1995. When 8,000 bosnian men were in a stretch of a few days carted off from their homes and shot and had their bodies dumped, a Dutch UN "peacekeeping" unit was in the town with over 2000 men and didnt do anything to stop the massacre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srebrenica_massacre

The WHO organization spreading massive amounts of AIDS and Hepatitis contaminated vaccines in the late 70s has put Africa into the shithole that it now resides into this day.

Their lifting of DDT from the markets has caused Malaria deaths in thirld world countries to boom to a million deaths a year.

The UN's complete apathy of sending charity, Not ensuring that the food they donate is put into the right hands. Usually the charity is received by warlords or the government and used as leverage towards their opponents.

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
    #5794355 - 06/26/06 11:06 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

i wonder if they'll stop calling it a "controlled substance".

--------------------

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: U.N.: Worldwide Marijuana Use "Out of Control" [Re: wilshire]
    #5794611 - 06/27/06 12:42 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

What I fail to understand about that article is that I was fairly sure opium cultivation was way way up in Afghanistan. The Taliban had a LOT of horrible faults, but they cracked down on regional opium cultivation, whereas with the warlords now back in control of many regions of Afghanistan, opium is the major cash-crop for many of them. I can't help but wonder if that U.N. study looked only into areas around Kabul and Khandahar.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: U.N.: Worldwide Marijuana Use "Out of Control" [Re: Panoramix]
    #5794619 - 06/27/06 12:46 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The question that needs to be answered is who is profiting off the opium trade.

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
    #5795103 - 06/27/06 08:23 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Fortunately the UN is simply a whine-and-bitch machine that doesn't really do anything other than whine and bitch.

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
Re: U.N.: Worldwide Marijuana Use "Out of Control" [Re: carbonhoots]
    #5795117 - 06/27/06 08:35 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

carbonhoots said:
The UN hardly invented this drug war propaganda. It sounds like their reading a page from the DEA. Almost exactly like it. The DEA was an invention of Nixon and the Republican party.

I've got a lot of respect for some of the things that come out of the UN. And I don't think they are "usless as tits on a bull" or whatever else some people say about them.

What is with the hatred of the UN anyways?

Originally it was the League of Nations, designed to get the world to know one another (perhaps the rise of modern diplomacy) so as to make sure another catastrophe like World War II did not occur again. Today I'm not sure if it's anything other than a powerless council that issues ignored edicts one after another. Somehow the UN thinks it can apply somekind of objective protocol that everyone must follow, such as here, demanding that the world "gets serious" with marijuana use.

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: U.N.: Worldwide Marijuana Use "Out of Control" [Re: Basilides]
    #5795120 - 06/27/06 08:38 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

it only makes sense to blame drugs on terrorists as well.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
Re: U.N.: Worldwide Marijuana Use "Out of Control" [Re: kotik]
    #5795605 - 06/27/06 11:34 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Same bullshit, different day..

--------------------
:orly:

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: U.N.: Worldwide Marijuana Use "Out of Control" *DELETED* [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #5795658 - 06/27/06 11:53 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by faslimy

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineRosettaStoned
Stranger

Loc: North America
Re: U.N.: Worldwide Marijuana Use "Out of Control" [Re: faslimy]
    #5796182 - 06/27/06 03:44 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

faslimy said:
the UN will be openly in control of the world soon

Yeah, and the US will be the flagship.

But about this article...ohhhh nooooo not the evil marijuana, the world is going to fall apart cuz more people are smoking pot THE HORROR!

:lol:

--------------------
"Government big enough to provide you with all you need is also big enough to take everything you have." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"Without stupid, faggy potheads we wouldn't have wars." - Zappa

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
Re: U.N.: Worldwide Marijuana Use "Out of Control" [Re: wilshire]
    #5802474 - 06/29/06 08:57 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

wilshire said:
i wonder if they'll stop calling it a "controlled substance".

Hahaha yeah I wonder if maybe, just maybe, they didn't try to control it, they wouldn't consider it to be "out of control."

--------------------
Here comes the sun, do n do do,
Here comes the sun, and I say,
It's alright...

OfflinexDuckYouSuckerx
xBannedx
 User Gallery

#5802488 - 06/29/06 09:06 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

The UN is a complete clusterfuck. They put CHINA on the fucking human rights commission, and spend their time bitching about the US's guns and drugs. How about the UN just fuck the fuck off? I think we should declare war with the UN, send in the Marines to take over the building in NYC and execute every motherfucker in there.

--------------------
Unions are the bastions of the mediocre. - luvdemshrooms

OfflinexDuckYouSuckerx
xBannedx
 User Gallery

#5802497 - 06/29/06 09:08 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.stopungunban.org/

The UN wants your guns. Why do they want them? So that we have no effective means of resistance to shit like this? When the blue-helmets start coming to your house to help with no-knock warrants because you are part of the "pandemic" of marijuana abuse, you can thank the disarmament pushers.

--------------------

OfflineRosettaStoned
Stranger

Re: U.N.: Worldwide Marijuana Use "Out of Control" [Re: xDuckYouSuckerx]
    #5803368 - 06/29/06 01:56 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe the UN bitches about alot of stuff but we only hear about what has our country's name in it?

--------------------
"Government big enough to provide you with all you need is also big enough to take everything you have." ~ Thomas Jefferson

OfflinexDuckYouSuckerx
xBannedx
 User Gallery

Re: U.N.: Worldwide Marijuana Use "Out of Control" [Re: RosettaStoned]
    #5803385 - 06/29/06 02:02 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Yea right.

--------------------

OfflineRosettaStoned
Stranger

Re: U.N.: Worldwide Marijuana Use "Out of Control" [Re: xDuckYouSuckerx]
    #5803451 - 06/29/06 02:22 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

You honestly believe the only thing the UN does is sit around and bitch about the US?

Now I don't have a high opinion of them by any means, but I find it very this quote very hard to believe.

Quote:

spend their time bitching about the US's guns and drugs

Love them or hate them, it is laughable to think an organization comprised of most of the countries on earth, spends the entirety of it's time bitching about one country. And they probably do spend alot of their time talking about the US, but we dominate their policy so they don't have much of a choice. China and Russia may have a fair say in things, but the US sets the tone of any piece of debate they have.

So don't act like this is something new by someone bitching about our drugs and guns, because if our own govt wouldn't have bitched about them first, the UN wouldn't say shit about it. But I suppose it's more patriotic to ignore your own govts shit and focus on outsiders who say the same things instead.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds