Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePr0_X
CultivationLifer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Igloo's and polar bears
Bulk straw/manure Question (Guru's pls)
    #5790610 - 06/25/06 09:16 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Hey, this question is geared towards some guru's, Rogerrabbit, hippie chick, road kill, anyone with experience useing straw/manure as bulk substrate :smile:

K, I bought some All natural, pre-composted manure that came straight from a local farm. I took it home placed it in tray's and leeched it just to be safe, its been drained and dryed and is looking good, here's a pic.

I also purchased Whole wheat straw from a local pet store

so what is the bulk mixture, 70% straw 30% manure? what is a good working formula that will produce some good results.

I will be useing a 500ml pfcake innoc'd with B+ (it'll be done colonizing tommorow)

I want to put it in a blender to break it up really fine, will this be ok? or will it damage the mycellium? should I wash the blender with anything before useing it to break up the cake?

I have tin based turkey pan's about 4 inches in depth, fairly large in diameter, is this ok to use? and also how resistent is pasturized straw/manure to airborn contams since I have to let it drain/cool off before use....

When I go to add my spawn should I put a layer of straw+manure/spawn/straw+manure and then compress it down, cover with tinfoil, poke some holes and let it colonize?

And how long on average should it take to colonize at room tempature?

assuming all goes well and it does colonize I'll be useing a verm/coir casing....

Will this produce some nice results? Thanks in advance for the help I just want to make sure ive got my information down pat before I give this a go.

--------------------
It's okay to hurt my feelings
cause you know, they're so numb anyway.
but I guess it's what I get
for being to fuckin stupid to stay away - Jake

- Support the FSR at www.fsrcanada.com and www.fsre.nl

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bulk straw/manure Question (Guru's pls) [Re: Pr0_X]
    #5790646 - 06/25/06 09:31 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

The compost needs to be properly composted for mushroom growing. Typical manure compost is too composted for mushroom cultivation. You may have some luck with the straw mixed in, but if your compost has a dirt-like consistancy, chances are it won't work well.

You're using only one cake to spawn that big container? One other thing I noticed is that you said the cake will be done tomorrow. You should wait at least a few days, if not a week, so that you can ensure that the jar is completely colonized inside and out. I wouldn't use a blender. A simple cheese grater would work well, but again, I would use alot more then one cake.

Good luck bro.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix