Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinehousefreeeek
Stranger
Would like advice please
    #578471 - 03/14/02 06:24 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Hi There,

Here's the situation. I grew some mushrooms for the first time using the MMGG with jars and brown rice flour. Everything went according to plan and i finished with 9 out of 12 jars which fruited (Golden teachers).

Recently i've tried again but with the hope of speeding up the colonisation of my cakes. Here's what has happened so far.

2 weeks ago, i mixed my brown rice flour, vermiculite, and distilled water, and pressure cooked as usual for 1 hour. Left overnight to cool STILL IN the PC.

Innoculated the jars and returned the aluminium foil back on top of the lids.

I placed these into an incubator which consists of a large plastic box with lid (sterilized with alcohol), a aquarium heater set to 82oF and about two inches of water. The jars were placed in and left for two weeks.

I've checked the temperature of the water and the humidity which are at 82oF and 70% humidity, and after almost three weeks there is still no growth on most of the jars. One jar is about 10% colonized. I've removed the foil from the lids in case there wasn't enough air exchange but still nothing.

Secondly, i tried to create some liquid mycelium using the honeywater method. I have managed to get mycelium syringes which i injected into two of the uncolonized jars about a week ago and still no growth. The mycelium inside the honeywater jar now has a few black and red spots growing on them. Is this contamination?

Could anyone tell me if there is any chance of seeing some life, and what would be the reasons for this failure. The strain is Mazatapec btw.

Many thanks. C.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefiddler4u
enthusiast
Loc: Where the shrooms are gre...
Re: Would like advice please [Re: housefreeeek]
    #578482 - 03/14/02 07:01 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well if your doing/did the same as you have done before, but this time without results, I'd be conserned if your temp. guage is correct. Maybe a bad/weak syringe, or possibly your moisture level is to high/low.
As far as the Black/Red spots......get rid of it before it contaminate's anything else.... A.S.A.P.
Without being the bad guy, and pointing the finger at vendors, it sounds like your spore's are inactive.
GoodLuck!

--------------------
I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me, and I in him, he will bare much fruit.
Apart from me you can do nothing. john 15:5

OfflineGaNjAShRooM
===SPUN===

Loc: Southern United States
    #578489 - 03/14/02 07:15 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

was those the same spores that the golden teachers came from?
sounds like a bad syringe-

--------------------
Cultivation Laws Of America Suck

Offlinehousefreeeek
Stranger
Re: Would like advice please [Re: GaNjAShRooM]
    #578494 - 03/14/02 07:34 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

The first syringe of Golden Teachers came from a different source than this batch of syringes. I'm in the UK so i've been using Dutch companies.

OfflineGaNjAShRooM
===SPUN===

Loc: Southern United States
    #578524 - 03/14/02 08:55 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

that might be your problem then-

--------------------
Cultivation Laws Of America Suck

Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
    #578650 - 03/14/02 12:18 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

It seems that the problem isn't the spores being inactive if you do have a little growth in some jars.  It sounds to me like your problem is bacterial contamination, you can confirm this by taking one of your jars that has no apparent growth and opening it and taking a little whiff, it'll probably reek a rotten sour smell.  This is most likely from the water in the bottom of that box, its a breeding ground for bacteria.  One thing that might help this is suspending the jars over the water somehow ex. hardware cloth from hardware store, its a wire mesh.  The box should still heat up since the water will radiate the heat.  Or you could put the water in a jar with the aquarium heater in the jar and cover the jar with aluminum foil and just place your jars around the heat jar.  You can loosen the foil or put holes in it to let some water evaporate to increase humidity.

Hope this helps.  :smile: 

PS  I feel for you if it is bacteria like I said, same thing happened to me, very frustrating :P

--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

I wish you all ceaselessly flowing moments of happiness.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation