Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Edibility/Psychoactivity of Hygrocybe conica (the witch's hat)
    #5778905 - 06/22/06 12:19 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

After a report from horseonsandhill about eating these and reporting a definate sensation, a quick check to see how poisonous they were actually created more questions than it answered.

It would seem from www.mushroomexpert.com that the only poisonous report(and this one is a deadly report) from these mushrooms comes from 1917 preindustrial China. Not exactly the best place for an accurate ID. :grin:

It seems there are people who have eaten these and reported them edible. Also it seems that they are psychoactive too. It looks like these had their reputation ruined by the China "ID" so long ago that noone really knows what the deal is.

It sounds to me like these are "edible", horseonsandhill didnt report any poisonous effects, only psychoactive ones.

MushroomJohn or anyone else have any thoughts? If they popped up I think I'd probably give them a trial run, (very low dose).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTacticalBongRip
Curious Observer
 User Gallery

Re: Edibility/Psychoactivity of Hygrocybe conica (the witch's hat) [Re: Feelers]
    #5778977 - 06/22/06 12:37 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

That would be an interesting story if they are found out to be non-poisonous and even more interesting if they are psychoactive. Very neat looking mushroom.

Anonymous

Re: Edibility/Psychoactivity of Hygrocybe conica (the witch's hat) [Re: Feelers]
    #5779011 - 06/22/06 12:45 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

(It would seem from www.mushroomexpert.com that the only poisonous report(and this one is a deadly report) from these mushrooms comes from 1917 preindustrial China. Not exactly the best place for an accurate ID.) - I thought i read about some deaths that happened later in someones reply too, maybe im mistaken. However i could be wrong. Basically, Feelers until i found out that this is the debated poisonous mushroom " Hygrocybe Conica" otherwise called; witch caps... I THOUGHT THIS WAS A MAGIC MUSHROOM, a new species maybe, unfound, unchartered!!!!!-hence my ignorance in posting what i thought would be a completely new strain....... id love it to be TESTED for similarities to Active Magics.... Surely there must be a way of doing this, even if it is via a scientist/mycologist in a laboratory.. someone must be keen to no more. Like me! Could be a breakthrough, i can honestly say that it is psychoactive, i just can't say whether its the same chemicals inside it.. and whether it s safe to induce a larger dosage. the variations in strain could kill you alone i guess if people have died, so maybe you would want to come and get one of the exact ones i have tried for ingestion..... don't all magics have a relation in chemical structure to the serotonin in our brains... could it be a similar structure to the make up of all other magics, just an exception to the norm....>>?

Anonymous

Re: Edibility/Psychoactivity of Hygrocybe conica (the witch's hat) [Re: ]
    #5779039 - 06/22/06 12:51 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I thought it is the coolest looking magic you could find others might think otherwise.... Amazing the variety of colours it produces... when touched the staining is amazing.....its not black... at first.. anyhow... more purple green going black... also these puppies need it super wet and super cold thats what they seem to like!!! I love this NEw Shroom!!! Gives my soul new inspiration.... aswell as HOPE!

Anonymous

#5779054 - 06/22/06 12:55 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I can't believe no posts of others ingestion yet, am i and my two friends quite possibly the only 3 to consume this mushroom , enjoy the effects and come out alive in recent times, as in the last 10 years or are people out there trying this thing... err can anyone help me.... WHATS UP DOC??? mj come help us..... please...

Anonymous

#5779075 - 06/22/06 01:02 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

look at my picture,to me it looks active in shape and colour... to you, doesn't it look active as well!!!!!!!!!! As a mushroom enthusiast, i could sorta imagine what the effect would be like if consumption took place.. by imagining in my mind using speculation and polyangulation by some out-there sub-conscious guidance of the soul. Basically going by a feeling can sometimes be an amazing thing in itself....i consumed this cap in a tea, with pleasant results-

Edited by Horseonsandhill (06/22/06 01:05 AM)

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5779081 - 06/22/06 01:04 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I wonder, If these are active maybe the Bertrandia astatogala are also.
I have found and picked both species and the bruising in Bertrandia astatogala is more intense than Hygrocybe conica...hmmm!
Research should be done.
inski.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Edibility/Psychoactivity of Hygrocybe conica (the witch's hat) [Re: inski]
    #5779101 - 06/22/06 01:12 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Hiya Inski...Are Bertrandia astatogala the striped mushroom i saw that is very similar to the hygrocybe in shape, espiecially i noted it to be the same shape in all stages of growth....from your pictures i could see the blatent similarities between your find and mine... almost comicle similarities... im sure that we can find out .... eventually, whether this is a valuable mushroom....sacred and loving just like all the others......

Anonymous

#5779115 - 06/22/06 01:17 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I think it Deserves to be called a Witch cap or hat....it is very fitting, isnt it. Purely because of its extreme similarities to that of the pointedness of a witches caps. Also in relation to that comment i found that when i cam e across these amazingly colorful mushrooms  they captivated me instantly, like you'd expect a mythical witch too if they existed .... anyone else feel that way on stumbling upon the WITCHES CAP.... :mushroom2: :tongue2:

Edited by Horseonsandhill (06/22/06 04:23 AM)

Anonymous

#5779125 - 06/22/06 01:23 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: :uptosomething: :pirate: :captain: :hook: :uptosomething: :hehehe: :naughty: :grin: :smile2: :laugh: :smile: :cool:

Offlineslaterbot
Go hunt em down!
Male User Gallery

#5779134 - 06/22/06 01:28 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe i misunderstood, but you consumed this mushroom ofter getting a 'feeling' it was active?... You are a brave person..

Anonymous

Re: Edibility/Psychoactivity of Hygrocybe conica (the witch's hat) [Re: slaterbot]
    #5779139 - 06/22/06 01:30 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

HAHA HEll YEs I am quite into my GUT FEELINGS... :blush:... Bloody lucky... could of died...  :mushroom2: :thumbdown: :confused: :mad: :eek: :stoned:

Edited by Horseonsandhill (06/22/06 01:32 AM)

Anonymous

#5779152 - 06/22/06 01:35 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

More so i thought it Looked to good to be true... But then what is goodness and what is truth.... I Went looking for a different strain of mushie actually one mentioned to be found in the sandhills of taranaki... and i found them... just not the ones from taras... had my inner instincts with me and made a split second decision they were good to consume, my mind works like this.... i wouldnt go eating a bright red mushroom now would i....

Anonymous

#5779178 - 06/22/06 01:45 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

however the subject of the matter is that little people, or no one, has been bothered to investigate the effects of this mushroom on the human mind.....in recent history, can anyone confirm any other ingestion reports of this fantastic specimen apart from the chef who felt a buzz... but didn't obviously know the first thing about magics.... wouldn't he, surely.... of documented his amazing find... maybe he had no desire to document his finds..... some people are like that....hrrrrmmm i fully considering another ingestion, however i find other mushies to be so much more appealing right now with all the poisonous calls.... Wicked Times 4 hygrocybe conica... I'm sure its quietly chuckling away at us... LAUGHING

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5779405 - 06/22/06 02:56 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Bertrandia astatogala is the colourfull mushroom in my post called "Help with id of very colourfull Coprinus species" (Not a Coprinus species) previously named Hygrocybe astatogala!
Can anyone tell me why the name was changed?
inski.

--------------------

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Edibility/Psychoactivity of Hygrocybe conica (the witch's hat) [Re: inski]
    #5779694 - 06/22/06 06:35 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

This details the regions that the mushroom grows:
http://nzfungi.landcareresearch.co.nz/html/data_descriptions.asp?ID=33-WNN-95&NAMEPKey=858
"Notes: The lectotype of this striking species, originally collected in Madagascar, was studied (Horak 1968: 118) and compared with the N.Z. material. No apparent differences were found. According to our present knowledge B. astatogala Heim occurs in the tropical-subtropical belt of Africa (Cameroon, Congo, Madagascar) and SE-Asia (Philippines, New Zealand)."

Looks like this site has a check-list of traits (phenotypes) for specific orders, family, and genus that then indicate with a key, which species or lower taxonomic category display the trait.
http://nzfungi.landcareresearch.co.nz/html/data_keys.asp?ID=33-WNN-95&NAMEPKey=858

Names Details for: Bertrandia astatogala
http://nzfungi.landcareresearch.co.nz/html/data_names.asp?TID=858&ID=33-WNN-95&NAMEPKey=29687

Names Details for: Hygrocybe astatogala
http://nzfungi.landcareresearch.co.nz/html/data_names.asp?TID=858&ID=33-WNN-95&NAMEPKey=17525

Hygrocybe and Bertrandia are both described as "wax gills".

....Wow, I so did not answer your question.  I'm sorry. But I'm sure if you spend some time to understand these charts that the reason for re-classification may become more evident.... maybe not.  Hehe    :grin:

--------------------

OfflinePortAngeles
Stranger
    #5780769 - 06/22/06 03:07 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah me and a friend of mine picked over 50 of these little suckers and then gobbled them all up. They have a very good taste to them although to tell you the truth i don't think there active seeing as how i dident get much from it. Then again i'd been drinking and smoking all day so what do i know? I did feel really good, but then again i felt really good while i was picking also which leeds me to beleave some resin and a couple beers was the culprit.., Then again now that i thnk of it my mushrooms might have been different ones? Mine looked EXACTLY the same but they were more of a bright RED than a bright orange. The older mushrooms seemed to lose there color and turn a brown/black color, but the younger ones were Bright Red with Orange/Yellow/Red stems... Could there be two mushrooms out there that look like this? Otherwise i doubt there poisonous, and they probly arent that active if at all.

Edited by PortAngeles (06/22/06 03:09 PM)

Anonymous

Re: Edibility/Psychoactivity of Hygrocybe conica (the witch's hat) [Re: PortAngeles]
    #5781846 - 06/22/06 08:30 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds like a distinctly different variety... but possibly similar.... i noticed that after they were boiled in a tea a bout a year ago they turned a crazy colour of black and white, as in dalmatian colour... now. Other Species such as SUbs..l do not go anything like this... Crazy stuff...

Anonymous

#5781870 - 06/22/06 08:37 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Over 50...... you mad dog...... man you must of felt something , maybe they were completely inactive......

Anonymous

#5781877 - 06/22/06 08:40 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The crazy colouring conica go after boiling the mushroom. It leaves me to beleive that they are not so safe for ingestion.... however maybe they are if you don't ingest a certainly large amount... Stranger how interesting, where, did you find these... they dont sound active.... you would of tripped out.....

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder