Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecookiewhore
enthusiast
Humidifiers (coolmist / ultrasonic)
    #575638 - 03/11/02 07:53 AM (22 years, 23 days ago)

Recently discovering some humidity problems in my rather large chamber. posting in here because most people in "Mushroom cult." have cooler operations it seems.
Do the ultrasonic humidifiers put out any more humidity than the cool mist (wick) style humidifiers?
the large chamber needs large air exchange, and the coolmist inside is just not keeping up.
the coolmist is right inside now, and theres a computer fan for exhaust.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
Re: Humidifiers (coolmist / ultrasonic) [Re: cookiewhore]
    #575723 - 03/11/02 10:09 AM (22 years, 23 days ago)

if your humidifier is inside your terranium cookiewhore then you are not getting any air exchange. your humidifier is simply recycling the air inside your terrnamium. think about it for a second. does your co2 have anywhere to go? is there any way outside oxygen is gettin in?

do you have casings inside your terranium now?

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

Offlinecookiewhore
enthusiast
Re: Humidifiers (coolmist / ultrasonic) [Re: XAZIA]
    #575728 - 03/11/02 10:16 AM (22 years, 23 days ago)

Oh yes, i have casings in, and produced a first flush. the problem is, there wasnt enough exchange, and then put a computer fan (3") in the bottom
now i think theres too much exchange, and the humidifier just isnt keeping up.
theres an intake at the top too which has a 99.97 filter attached.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #575761 - 03/11/02 10:51 AM (22 years, 23 days ago)

Ultrasonics produce much more humidity than coolmists. And Ultrasonics produce virtually no air exchange. All an ultrasonic puts out is a mist of fog. There usually is no fan at all. BTW, I doubt you have too much air exchange. Too low humidity perhaps, but probably not too much fresh air. Never seen your setup though, just a hunch.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Humidifiers (coolmist / ultrasonic) [Re: mycofile]
    #575818 - 03/11/02 11:52 AM (22 years, 23 days ago)

>All an ultrasonic puts out is a mist of fog. There usually is no fan at all.

Every ultrasonic I?ve seen so far has a small fan. But as you said, a coolmist gives way more air.

Read http://www.shroomery.org/findorgrowthem/sghumidifier.html .

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
Re: Humidifiers (coolmist / ultrasonic) [Re: Anno]
    #575860 - 03/11/02 12:35 PM (22 years, 23 days ago)

also with out seeing your set-up, i would agree with myco file and say maybe your problem is low humidity due to TOO much air exchange. try setting your fan on atimer just to kick on once every couple of minutes in an hour. i have an ultrasonic and fan and when you turn on the fan the humidity immediately drops. youCAN't run then both at the same time.
gluck!

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #575949 - 03/11/02 02:43 PM (22 years, 23 days ago)

I burned out two ultrasonics before switching to cool mist. Save yourself the money and skip the ultrasonics. In my experience, the ultrasonics last about one year before they give out. I was using a sunshine model 696 ultrasonic which had a fan and gave more air exchange than I wanted... until it fried.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinecookiewhore
enthusiast
    #575975 - 03/11/02 03:17 PM (22 years, 22 days ago)

well the previous setup had a fish tank bubbler in the bottom running 24/7. the terrarium is large. top has a 3" hole with a filter over it for intake. bottom has a 3" computer fan running 24/7 now, where there used to be a fish tank bubbler.
with the bubbler, it got real stuffy and just wasnt doing much good,. but the humidity was right. it was just WAY too hot with that thing running. now its nice and cool (the same as the room) but humidity drops too fast, and the casings are drying out. like i said, the computer fan is 3" sucking out the bottom hole, and the cool must humidifier is right inside. only air coming in is from the top 3" hole equipped with filter.

Offlinecookiewhore
enthusiast
Re: Humidifiers (coolmist / ultrasonic) [Re: Seuss]
    #575979 - 03/11/02 03:19 PM (22 years, 22 days ago)

i already burned out a coolmust too. heh. t'was a kenmore ;P

so maybe the trick is a timer for the fan then.

can you get timers the repeat the same program every hour? instaed of a 24 hour timer? like get one that runs on an hour cycle, and run the fan for 30 minutes?

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #576172 - 03/11/02 07:25 PM (22 years, 22 days ago)

Interesting, I've seen at least 5 different ultrasonics, and none of them had fans. They just put out a very slow steady fog.

Anyway, if I remember from other posts, your terrerium is like 6'X3'X3' or something, right? Then the coolmist may not supply enough humidity, especially with the fan on 24/7. Try hooking the fan up to a timer if you'd like (I personally think constantly circulating air is good as protection from contams), or increase humidity in other ways. An ultrasonic would probably produce more humidity, maybe too much and require a timer. A couple of bowls of moist perlite would raise humidity, if you have some spare real estate in the terrerium. Or, just misting the sides of the terrerium as you can will help a bit.

I recomend the ultrasonic (get a cheap one, they do tend to burn up after about a year), and timer if neccessary. But the other options may be required for monetary or other reasons and should suffice in some combination.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinecookiewhore
enthusiast
    #576208 - 03/11/02 08:18 PM (22 years, 22 days ago)

yeah myco, you're right, that is the size of the terrarium.

I DO like the constant airflow. it keeps it much fresher in there, and good air exchange.
maybe i should leave the coolmist there (its in the bottom) and add an ultra sonic..
would you add the ultrasonic to the top of the terrarium, or put it in the bottom. i'm not totally sure on these, because ive never really seen one at work. if they have no real fan, i assume the fog somewhat rolls out of it, and down the sides?
Thanks for your help. Maybe doubling up the humidifiers is the plan. does the ultrasonic put out much heat? or is it a cool fog?

Invisibleshaggymane
PHARMER

Loc: great white north
    #576257 - 03/11/02 09:17 PM (22 years, 22 days ago)

ultrasonic put out no heat. And mine doesn't have a fan

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract