Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerazorbladeshoes
Friend
Female
Loc: Californ-eye-aye
Non-active ID request...
    #5750268 - 06/14/06 04:59 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I just got interested in mushrooms a few weeks ago, and I'm trying to rack up some experience with mushrooms in general just to learn about them (not just the active ones). Since it hadn't rain here in Georgia for the past couple weeks (until yesterday), I hadn't gotten a chance to go out hunting. But last night I found this popping up in my yard, and it's the first mushroom I've found that I'd like to ID:

Habitat: Front yard, couple feet from a pecan tree
Gills: White, not crowded (close?), I believe these would be considered free gills.
Veil: None noticed... no veil remenants noticed either.
Stem: White and fibrous, tough, browning areas on surface (see picture).
Cap: White with tan/brown splotches. Broken at 4 places along edge. approx 3" dia.
Spore print color: White
Bruising: None noticed

I checked one guide and I think it's either a Tricholomopsis Platyphylla or a Pluteus Cervinus...?

Thanks for any help!
Jason

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Non-active ID request... [Re: razorbladeshoes]
    #5750286 - 06/14/06 05:08 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The white spores rule out Pluteus, and though it is difficult to see from the photos, I would bet that your mushroom has attached gills. In mushrooms with free gills, there is a distinct ring of non-gillness where the stem attaches to the bottom of the cap.

OfflineMisterShroomGuy
NoOb
 User Gallery

Re: Non-active ID request... [Re: shroomydan]
    #5750707 - 06/14/06 07:15 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, this ones a Pluteus Cervinus...I had similar ones out in my yard...not edible, though.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Non-active ID request... [Re: MisterShroomGuy]
    #5750853 - 06/14/06 07:43 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

No, it is not Pluteus cervinus. Pluteus cervinus drops pink spores, not white spores. They are also rare in terrestrial habitats, usually found on rotting logs.

InvisibleshroominDole
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: O.C . S o. C a l .
Re: Non-active ID request... [Re: shroomydan]
    #5751960 - 06/14/06 11:57 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

So many mushrooms are similiar to yours which many times can be only seperated by a microscope but practice on this one by doing a couple of the basics by cutting off the stem leaving a little behind on the shroom then from the top cut the cap in half. Are the gills attatched to the stem at all or completely free from it only in contact with the cap ?

Also always want to check to see if base of stem is growing out of any kind of bag or sac at the ground level.

Then go get the book Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora....its the best

It can help you easily ID alot of mushrooms.

One of my local libraries has 4 copies and you check them out for like month at a time I believe.

So go print your shroom......definately not active and definately dont eat this one.

--------------------
Worlds Largest 'Liberty Cap' (Cali Libs Confirmed !)
' Comments On Hallucinogenic Agarics And The Hallucinations Of Those Who Study Them '
Alexander H. Smith
Mycologia vol.69 1977

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom