Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineprimatephreak
Mycologist

Loc: The Orwellian State
Mycological Acronyms and Lingo
    #4450350 - 07/25/05 11:57 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hey I'm new here and I'm just learning the acronyms and lingo that you all use. I am pretty sure that newbies as myself are quite confused when they read certian posts which seem like the posters are communicating in a secret coded mushroom language. If the admins were to make a sticky or another board of some sort that could list all of the acronyms and lingo we use here at the shroomery, it would help a lot of people out. Lets take a pole. Should we create an acronym/ lingo database?
Acronym/ Lingo
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (07/25/05 11:54 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

--------------------
Peace.
Infinite love is the only truth, everything else is illusion.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJellyRollMorton
Stranger Danger
Loc: Bobland
Re: Mycological Acronyms and Lingo [Re: primatephreak]
    #4450366 - 07/25/05 12:03 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Mycological Acronyms and Lingo [Re: JellyRollMorton]
    #5713914 - 06/05/06 03:59 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The glossary is lacking in a lot of ways. It doesn't seem to have many acronyms or abbreviations in it. We need to have a list that is either sticky or in a good location in the FAQ section.

I've been around for quite a long time and I'm still baffled occasionally by some acronyms. Usually it comes to me after a few minutes, but to a noob I bet it makes them feel like an outsider that can't understand the OMC language.

I was stumped by one just long enough to try a search for "abbreviations" and "acronyms" both of which came up with nothing on the site search. This was the first post that came up when I searched the posts. The shroomery glossary is pretty impressive, but doesn't contain that many acronyms and it would be nice to have a quick list that people could read through and feel like they know what's going on.

Here's a short list of a few that I can think of off the top of my head... Please add to it!

EDIT: Condensed terms to one list to save thread space.

I'm sure I've left out a lot. Some of these aren't specific to the OMC, but are commonly used and I've seen posts asking about them. Terms like LOL are a little too basic to be included, since this isn't an internet acronym list, but anything more advanced and in common use would be good to add. I'll alphabetize when the list gets a little larger.

-FF

Edited by fastfred (07/18/06 08:15 PM)

OfflineBabo911
Pooper Scooper
 User Gallery

Loc: Arizona Bay
Re: Mycological Acronyms and Lingo [Re: fastfred]
    #5714024 - 06/05/06 06:01 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

DT = Double Tub
MT = Mono Tub
Coir = Coco Coir derived from the coconut fiber, commonly found with the name Bed-a-Beast
FAE = Fresh air exchange

That is all I can think of at the moment

--------------------

Ronhero on the Growery is me

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycological Acronyms and Lingo [Re: Babo911]
    #5714088 - 06/05/06 07:03 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks! 5 Shroom rating for you!

I've remembered a couple more...

EDIT: Condensed terms to one list to save thread space.

Some of these aren't acronyms or abbreviations, but that's OK. Like "pin" which everyone knows, but I don't think it's used by mycologists or defined in any texts. And "karo" is a brand right? Lots of people have no clue what it is, and I had to look it up. I think it's all good stuff. Anything that's in common use and might be confusing to a noob, but not a dictionary word, is also good.

-FF

Edited by fastfred (07/18/06 08:15 PM)

OfflineBPJohnny
Stranger
Male

#5714103 - 06/05/06 07:25 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

hey guys this has been discussed already, and road kill gave the solution

check out this thread

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post5477044

there is a FAQ contribution forum you guys should start a guide up

its a great idea and like i said its been discussed but nobody followed
through

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycological Acronyms and Lingo [Re: BPJohnny]
    #5714131 - 06/05/06 07:45 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I'll submit it as soon as it's complete. I'm hoping people will read this post and at least add the acronyms that they use which aren't posted here yet.

Thanks for the link. It gave me a couple new ones. This list is already bigger than any of the abbreviation/slang posts I've found yet. And the vast majority of the terms aren't in in the glossary.

[EDIT: Condensed terms to one list to save thread space.]

I realize some of these are common internet acronyms, but there'll be time to organize it later. Maybe split off a section and call it "common internet acronyms you should know". Anyone can feel free to criticize the inclusion of any of them.

-FF

Edited by fastfred (07/18/06 08:16 PM)

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5715616 - 06/05/06 03:49 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

A few more...

Keep contributing, I'm sure there are at least a dozen more in common use!

-FF

Edited by fastfred (07/18/06 08:16 PM)

Offlinetonyperez420
Shaman Rasta

#5722650 - 06/07/06 12:09 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

its def neccessary in this forum, i am guilty myself for not knowing some of them especially when i was new

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycological Acronyms and Lingo [Re: tonyperez420]
    #5740574 - 06/12/06 01:36 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I think so too. I've been around a long time and read a ton and I still don't know them all. I wonder what reasons the people who are voting against needing a guide have? Do they really know all these abbreviations? I find that hard to believe.

Here are some more that I've come up with...

I'll post a alphabetized and consolidated list in just a bit.

-FF

Edited by fastfred (07/18/06 08:17 PM)

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5740601 - 06/12/06 01:57 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

OK here is the list so far! It's up to 63 terms! I'll submit this in to the FAQ submission forum soon. I'm hoping that a moderator would be willing to make this thread sticky for a little while (say 4-7 days) just so that everyone would get a look at it and have a chance to give their input. It would just be for a little while so that we can make sure it's complete. I was thinking I would start another thread in advanced in a little while since they use acronyms and abbreviations a bit more.

I've also attatched a text file version if anyone wants to save a properly formatted copy of it.

-FF

Edited by fastfred (07/18/06 08:18 PM)

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5748203 - 06/14/06 01:16 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Here are a few more... I'm guessing that nobody is posting any because the list is already pretty complete. I'd hate to think that nobody gives a damn.

-FF

Edited by fastfred (07/18/06 08:18 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5748398 - 06/14/06 02:33 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I prefer to type the whole words. It's not that hard and reduces confusion.
RR

Invisibleshroomerite
Apprentice

Re: Mycological Acronyms and Lingo [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5748439 - 06/14/06 02:54 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

ive seen a few people here use DEC. I asked before but got no replies. Does anyone know?

--------------------
  "For best results, learn to work with nature rather than against it. Mycelium has an amazing ability to cope with less than optimal conditions, and will often fruit when a grower does everything wrong. However, do everything right and watch your performance go through the roof." RR

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycological Acronyms and Lingo [Re: shroomerite]
    #5748534 - 06/14/06 03:50 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

> I prefer to type the whole words. It's not that hard and reduces confusion.

I usually do too, but then again if I knew someone could easily look up the definition I might be more likely to use abbreviations. Lot's of people use them extensively, so a list is needed anyway.

BTW abbreviation is kind of a long word... there should be an abbreviation for it.

> ive seen a few people here use DEC. I asked before but got no replies. Does anyone know?

No idea, which would make it an exceptionally good one to include. Do you remember the context at all?

-FF

--------------------
It drinks the alcohol and abstains from the weed or else it gets the hose again. -Chemy

The difference between the substances doesn't matter. This is a war on consciousness, on our right to the very essence of what we are. With no control over that, we have no need to speak of freedom or a free society. -fireseed

"If we are going to have a war on marijuana, the least we can do is pull the sick and the dying off the battlefield." -Neal Levine (MPP)

I find the whole "my drug should be legal but yours should be illegal" mindset disgusting and hypocritical. It's what George Bush and company do when they drink a cocktail and debate the best way to imprison marijuana users. -Diploid

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5748540 - 06/14/06 03:52 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Ha! I found it...

DEC = Double Ended Casing

-FF

--------------------
It drinks the alcohol and abstains from the weed or else it gets the hose again. -Chemy

The difference between the substances doesn't matter. This is a war on consciousness, on our right to the very essence of what we are. With no control over that, we have no need to speak of freedom or a free society. -fireseed

"If we are going to have a war on marijuana, the least we can do is pull the sick and the dying off the battlefield." -Neal Levine (MPP)

I find the whole "my drug should be legal but yours should be illegal" mindset disgusting and hypocritical. It's what George Bush and company do when they drink a cocktail and debate the best way to imprison marijuana users. -Diploid

Offlinedreadful
Lush
 User Gallery

Loc: SF bay area
    #5748543 - 06/14/06 03:53 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I think by DEC they mean double end cased, i.e., sticking wet vermiculite on either end of a cake.

How about also including

tek = technique.

I remember that word puzzling me when I first started reading cultivation guides. I figured out what was meant by it long before I guessed it was short for "technique".

--------------------
It's a grim kind of celebration, a dance on razor's edge ...
-- Scott O. Moore

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycological Acronyms and Lingo [Re: dreadful]
    #5748552 - 06/14/06 03:58 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

That's a good one, but I beat you to it by about 3 hours. It looks like I beat you on the DEC meaning by just 1 minute!!

But 5 shrooms to you for a good try. It's also just as good to post ones you don't know the meaning to, so 5 shrooms for shromerite too.

-FF

OfflineZEPH

Loc: Up
    #5748925 - 06/14/06 08:40 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

a martha .......is called a martha because it is made by martha stwert ie the zippered clothes closet...she is a billion aire.. maby she knows she designed the worlds best frutting chamber lol

anyway your descript was fine nice list btw :smile:

Edited by ZEPH (06/14/06 08:45 AM)

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycological Acronyms and Lingo [Re: ZEPH]
    #5748967 - 06/14/06 09:07 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ZEPH said:

a martha .......is called a martha because it is made by martha stwert ie the zippered clothes closet...she is a billion aire.. maby she knows she designed the worlds best frutting chamber lol

maybe we all should write to the bitch and thank her!~

:smirk:

Dear Martha,

I'm just writing to let you know that Cubensis Mushroom growers all over the USA are using your Martha Stewart Everyday Stationary Storage Closet to grow illegal mushrooms to spread the Love of the mushroom through out the world!~

I know your excited to hear this news since your an X con yourself now...
please visit the Shroomery and see how well your closet is working.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums
We would be very excited to have you join our community an share your various house hold tips that we might be able to use for growing.

Sincerly,
Roadkill...Moderator of the Shroomery

P.S. If you do join I'd be more than glad to give you growing tips and private lessons on growing.

:smirk:

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck