Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Order in English [Re: Redstorm]
    #5772190 - 06/20/06 11:30 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
No one said Mexicans, or even illegal immigrants, can't eat at that guys shop. Just because the employees speak English and it would be very unproductive to teach his employees a second language just so he can sell a sandwich doesn't mean he's racist.

It should just be common sense. If I went to a Spanish-speaking country, I would expect to cater to their language, not the other war around.

Agreed. In fact, i also think immigrants should learn the language of their host country. I was also an immigrant in Venezuela and i had to learn how to speak spanish, it was an experience that made me richer in the way i can express myself and understand others. BUT the issue here is about the sign and the way the owner of that restaurant wants people to order in english. As i see it, and as it is worded, the sign screams discrimination, and i believe he might have chosen better words to express the idea "please learn and use the english language".

On the other hand, if you ever come to Portugal and visit ANY restaurant in Algarve (the most touristic zone) and many other places, you'll have every menu written in portuguese, english, german and dutch. I guess the attitude is a bit different here, it's good to learn the language basics of any host country, but we accept that not all people have the same skills to do so. Some do, some don't, but hey, i don't see that much difference when comparing to what happens in that restaurant: some do speak but some don't.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Order in English [Re: Phred]
    #5772448 - 06/20/06 01:02 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Im for the restaurant owner.

If a company can not hire me because I smoke or drink......then any restaurant should have the right to serve whom they please.

As far as the sign goes........I think that sign should be placed in EVERY public place.

If your going to come here to work.....learn the local language......don't expect me to learn your language :rolleyes:

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Order in English [Re: Phred]
    #5773866 - 06/20/06 08:00 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I don't understand the controversy. He privately owns a business. He chooses to enforce rules upon ordering from his establishment. People have the right and freedom to order from any store they want.

If they have a problem with it choose to order from another store. How hard is that?

OfflineIamHungry
Stranger
Re: Order in English [Re: newuser1492]
    #5780137 - 06/22/06 10:59 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

To be fair, the sign in the window does say "Please" before "Order in English." I'm afraid this whole thing was taken out of context. It's a very busy cheesesteak shop, and the whole English thing was done for economic reasons, namely to expedite the ordering process. It was not done to discriminate as much as it was done to make sure they got everyone's order in a timely fashion.

Edit: I know because I live about an hour away and have been to both Geno's and Pat's (the competing cheesesteak place across the street). I'm sure both places are seeing an upswing in business. Geno's has to be profiting because it's so famous now, and Pat's has also got to be profiting because of all the people "boycotting" Geno's.

--------------------
Here comes the sun, do n do do,
Here comes the sun, and I say,
It's alright...

Edited by IamHungry (06/22/06 01:42 PM)

Invisiblegone
gone
Re: Order in English [Re: IamHungry]
    #5781572 - 06/22/06 07:18 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I'm behind the owner 110%. The owner probably doesn't speak spanish, what is he supposed to do hire a translator, paying money out of his own wallet?
I live in AZ, and when my buddies and I go to mexico we speak spanish any time we are able to. When we order food it's simple:
1)look at menu
2)read menu
3)repeat item on menu to best of ability
4)say "por favor"

I don't know spanish, but i do my best to honor their customs when i'm in their country. Being in a foreign country is a privilege, not a right.

Edited by hornet (06/22/06 07:19 PM)

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
Re: Order in English [Re: IamHungry]
    #5781602 - 06/22/06 07:26 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I think a greater question would be whether this restaurant owner has had any problems with people ordering in foreign languages before or if he just put the sign up without a preceding cause and effect.

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Order in English [Re: Basilides]
    #5782648 - 06/23/06 12:40 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I think it's a pretty pointless sign. Presumably, if people can read English, they can order in English. So what's the point of having a sign like that that's in English?

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Order in English [Re: Silversoul]
    #5783028 - 06/23/06 05:34 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Publicity?

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: Order in English [Re: niteowl]
    #5788496 - 06/25/06 02:41 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not thrilled to be on this side of the debate, but I think the store-owner can put up any sign he likes he his restaurant.  That doesn't change the fact that he's a publicity hog and a jackass to boot.

"And how fucking hard is it to order a sandwich? Jambon croissant, anyone? And I never took one single French lesson." -- Zappaisgod

I guess that explains why you got it wrong.  Enjoy your lump of ham and croissant, buddy.

"The sign simply points out to please order in english." --Ramlaen

I'm just taking this from what I read in the article that was provided, but the sign DOESN'T say please order in english.  It says This is AMERICA... WHEN ORDERING SPEAK ENGLISH.  That's what makes this guy an asshole, to my mind.  Whatever language they happen to be ordering in, they know what country their in and it's insulting to insinuate otherwise.  A 'please' would be good, too.  Nice of you to add that for him, Ramlaen.  Never mind that for his sign to be proper english, he'd need a comma after 'ordering'.

"I reserve the right to refuse service to anybody for any reason what-so-ever." I don't see how my sign is any different than his "Please speak English when ordering" sign. If anything, mine is a bit more rude" --Seuss

Really?  'Cause I think your sign is much more polite.  It doesn't single people out in regards to their language or imply that they're idiots just because they happen to have been brought up speaking a different language.  He could have gone with 'I won't be able to serve you if you don't order in english' and not sounded like such a jerk, but he wouldn't have gotten all of this attention if he had, now would he have?

How do you say "Cheesesteak" in Cherokee? -- BabyHitler :thumbup: :thumbup:

Would any of this have been brought to any of our attention if midterms weren't coming up in the U.S.?  I sincerely doubt it...

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Order in English [Re: Panoramix]
    #5788710 - 06/25/06 06:24 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

The sign does say please, the lovely reporter left it out for shock value thank you. Also note he has never refused business from non english speaking customers, simple makes them point to what they want.

OfflinePanoramix
Getafix
Male

Loc: Everywhere else
Re: Order in English [Re: Ramlaen]
    #5789469 - 06/25/06 01:59 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

"The sign does say please, the lovely reporter left it out for shock value thank you."

So that's what that '...' was about then, eh? Well, my apologies, Ramlaen, and a hearty fuck-you to that reporter for writing such a misleading report.

--------------------
Don't worry, I'm wrong.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order