Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Order in English [Re: Basilides]
    #5746777 - 06/13/06 06:42 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Basilides said:
Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Your disability must be extreme indeed if you can't figure out how to order a sandwich in another language. Do you think this guy should be obligated to provide a fucking translator? And what languages? Just Spanish? Why?

Feel free to boycott his store. Feel free to boycott my company, as well, because I will no longer hire anyone who can't speak English. I haven't for over 10 years.

Would you hire someone who can clearly communicate in English, just poorly and heavily accented?

Where do you draw the line?

He has to be able to understand ME. Not nod his head and then demolish the wrong building. I am reasonable about muddling through an accent. I have even gone so far as to hire Texans. And will again. They seem to be able to understand what I tell them.
Quote:

Language seems to be the last 21st century bastion of 20th century racism.

Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. I ask again? Is it only Spanish????? Why only Spanish? Why shouldn't we accomodate Afrikaans? Because there aren't so many? Populationist! How about Portugese? You got something against Brazilians? And Chinese? There's lots of them. You know what? I'm starting to think you might be the racist. You think one particular group of non-English speakers should receive preferential treatment over other non-English speakers, some of whom are actually of other races (unlike Hispanics).

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
Re: Order in English [Re: zappaisgod]
    #5746843 - 06/13/06 06:57 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Go with portions. How many people in your area speak Spanish as compared to Swahili or something? I come from an area that is split down English and French, and most businesses attempt to accomadate both languages. If you're living in an area that has alot of Spanish speaking people, learn some Spanish. If you're living in an area that has alot of Swahili speaking people, learn some Swahili. A few decades from now there are going to be areas in the states that will be mostly Spanish speaking if there isn't already. If you're the minority, are you still going to demand people to speak English in a neighborhood that is 70% Spanish or something?

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

#5747058 - 06/13/06 07:48 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Just a side note, he has never refused business to anyone even if they can't speak english, they just point and order. The sign simply points out to please order in english. It does not say i will refuse to service you if you don't speak english. I listened to a radio interview with him this morning.

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Re: Order in English [Re: Ramlaen]
    #5747095 - 06/13/06 07:57 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

A simple "Please take your order in English" would suffice. Instead he dons his sign with a bald eagle and "This is America"

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

#5747127 - 06/13/06 08:05 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The Guy is a multi millionaire he doesnt care about loss of business its down to a principle issue with it. He has come out and stated he has pleanty of money to fight their stupid lawsuit

Offlinewilshire
free radical
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE PA
Re: Order in English [Re: Phred]
    #5747155 - 06/13/06 08:10 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

definitely geno's. it's private property and they can hang a swastika up for all i care.

--------------------

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Re: Order in English [Re: Ramlaen]
    #5747180 - 06/13/06 08:15 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I hope he wins. That doesn't change the fact that he's a racist douche

--------------------

Offlinequillini
one meanmotorscooter
Male

#5747542 - 06/13/06 09:58 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Basilides said:
I hope a Native American goes to that stand tries ordering a sandwich in Cree. When the owner points to the sign the Native can say, "We were here first, bitch." :lol:

:thumbup:

But seriously, in no case whatsoever do I think the gov't ought to intervene on the basis of discrimination.  This isn't discrimination.  Nobody alive in the US today knows what discrimination is; it's just become this wonderful catchphrase used as a last resort by people when things don't go their way.  Like Christians when a courthouse won't post the ten commandments, "thar discriminatin' agin ma jayzus!"  What bullshit.  It's just a fucking sign, it's not the end of the world.  If you want to see the ten commandments, go to church.  If you want to order something in Spanish, go to Taco Bell.  It's a free country, and nobody is infringing on your rights.

Sooner or later, though, we're going to have to recognize that, while the majority of the US population speaks English, the same is not true for the entire landmass on which we live, ie the Western Hemisphere.  English speakers are vastly outnumbered in North and South America, and Spanish is really where it's at.  If present trends continue, it will probably be the dominant language in the US before too long.  That doesn't bother me because Spanish is much more consistent and easier to learn than English.  I'll always have a fondness for English though, it's just so colorful and theatrical in a way Spanish can't be.  But I digress.

If I walked into Ginos and saw that sign I would probably roll my eyes at the ultimate absurdity of it, but that wouldn't stop me from ordering a sandwich.  If I'm in Philly I'll be eating the sandwiches, cultural sensibilities be damned!  If I was in Mexico looking for some Mexican food and they had a sign like that, I would play ball and not feel insulted.

I wonder how many people will become Republicans because of the uproar surrounding this. :sad:

--------------------
No; truth, being alive, was not halfway between anything. It was only to be found by continuous excursions into either realm, and though proportion is the final secret, to espouse it at the outset is to insure sterility.

Only connect...

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#5748131 - 06/14/06 12:56 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

he can do whatever he wants.

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #5749222 - 06/14/06 10:55 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Remeber this ?

America is evolving to hate other cultures, like the nazis did with the Jews, just this time is about Mexican immigrants. Sure the owner has the right to post that sign, the nazis had the same freedom in regards to discriminate others. But is this the kind of freedom americans really want ? "America fuck yeah!"

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Edited by MAIA (06/14/06 11:02 AM)

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Order in English [Re: MAIA]
    #5749225 - 06/14/06 10:57 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

Re: Order in English [Re: Silversoul]
    #5749266 - 06/14/06 11:10 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I'm familiar with Godwin's law. The thing is, i'm not hiperbolizing here. I'm making a direct reference in regards to the subject "discrimination".

:lol:

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #5749269 - 06/14/06 11:10 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

MAIA said:
America is evolving to hate other cultures, like the nazis did with the Jews, just this time is about Mexican immigrants.

Bull. Political Correctness is alive and well and white people continue to fawn over minorities because of it.

I haven't gathered that the anti-illegal immigration movement is racist or intolerant of other cultures. I think their concerns are about taxes, social benefits, resource shortages, employment problems, etc.. In my opinion these are all valid concerns. Why should Pedro and his 8 kids waltz into my country and be given free housing, free education, and probably free health care?

OfflineMAIA
Male User Gallery

Re: Order in English [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #5749328 - 06/14/06 11:24 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Political Correctness is alive and well and white people continue to fawn over minorities because of it.

Agreed, but IMHO that's not the main problem.

Quote:

I think their concerns are about taxes, social benefits, resource shortages, employment problems, etc.. In my opinion these are all valid concerns.

This time i'll give more reasons for Silversoul to laugh. Those were the same problems German people had back in the 30's. They were led to think that Jews were the ones to blame. Do you think the Mexicans are the ones to blame or is it your government performance ?  :smirk:

MAIA

--------------------

Voltaire

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #5749358 - 06/14/06 11:34 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

MAIA said:
Quote:

I think their concerns are about taxes, social benefits, resource shortages, employment problems, etc.. In my opinion these are all valid concerns.

Do you think the Mexicans are the ones to blame or is it your government performance ?

The Mexicans aren't to blame for every ill in the country. But, I get pissed when a Mexican works under-the-table, doesn't pay any taxes, and manages to get his kids enrolled in public school. Americans who do pay taxes then have to pay for the education of these kids (the average bill to educate a child in public school is about $10,000 a year I believe). And we have to go out of our way to teach the kids in Spanish.

Basically, I have a problem with them using our services and not contributing into the tax base at all.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5749361 - 06/14/06 11:36 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

No one said Mexicans, or even illegal immigrants, can't eat at that guys shop. Just because the employees speak English and it would be very unproductive to teach his employees a second language just so he can sell a sandwich doesn't mean he's racist.

It should just be common sense. If I went to a Spanish-speaking country, I would expect to cater to their language, not the other war around.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Order in English [Re: Redstorm]
    #5749371 - 06/14/06 11:39 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Agreed. If you go to another country that has a different language and a different culture you should attempt to assimilate so that you can function in the new society. You should not expect your host society to change and cater to you.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Order in English [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #5749377 - 06/14/06 11:41 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think you should necessarily have to assimilate completely, but you should adopt the appropriate customs and skills to be able to operate in your new habitat.

Offlinequillini
one meanmotorscooter
Male

#5749400 - 06/14/06 11:49 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Political Correctness is alive and well and white people continue to fawn over minorities because of it.

Bull. White people who fawn over minorities do so because they choose to, and then they blame "political correctness" so they can avoid taking responsibility for their own actions and decisions.

I'm white, and I'm just as much of an asshole toward minorities as I am toward everybody else.

--------------------
No; truth, being alive, was not halfway between anything. It was only to be found by continuous excursions into either realm, and though proportion is the final secret, to espouse it at the outset is to insure sterility.

Only connect...

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #5749405 - 06/14/06 11:50 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Exactly. You should not forsake your identity and your heritage, but you should not expect everything to change for you and to be handed to you.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale