Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFormer_AmigaUser
Stranger
Loc: Texas
Newbie looking for Terrarium construction help
    #573828 - 03/08/02 10:31 PM (22 years, 16 days ago)

Greetings fellow mycologists,

I am beginning my foray into the world of mushroom growing. I?ve been collecting various bits of equipment and I was hoping on gaining some insight and wisdom on a good terrarium design. My design goals for the terrarium are: long-term maintenance-free operation (3 days minimum) and of course superior design for optimal fruiting. My supplies that I have collected or have access to are as follows:

1) 18" x 2? x 18" Rubbermaid containers
2) Matching top w/ Plexiglas center
3) 120V AC high CPM 110mm ball bearing fan
4) Vicks Humidifier by Kaz (cool mist, disc-spinning type)
5) Digital timers capable of minute accuracy and 7 on/7 offs
6) Empty 2L coke bottles
7) Various sizes of plastic tubing + pvc pipe (left over from previous projects)
8) Circular 90mm filter discs (lots)
9) Temp/Rh digital meter

So, what should I do? Here are some questions. Should I run the cool-mist (non-ultrasonic humidifier) through the 2L coke bottles ala MMGG? Does the humidifier need to be run 24/7, from other people?s previous experience? Will seven 1-minute "exhausts" of air be enough each day? Too many? Should I use the fan to blow in or exhaust out?

In the case of having to run the humidifier continuously, I would be interested in expanding the capacity of the water chamber. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm assuming I can just hook the humidifier water chamber to another water reservoir via tubing. Should I be worried about bacterial growth in the water? Is there any water-soluble chemical that won't harm edible mushrooms and help keep the bacteria problem down (perhaps hydrogen peroxide)?

I apologize for asking so many questions. I've read most of what's available in the FAQs and scored the message board for equipment suggestions, I'm just looking for one last bit of direction before everything is assembled.

Thanks!
Former Amiga User

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCheshirePhat
Re: Newbie looking for Terrarium construction help [Re: Former_AmigaUser]
    #574048 - 03/09/02 05:34 AM (22 years, 15 days ago)

bumping for this dude........ his asking valuable questions!!

keep on trucking

--------------------
[orange]"Lets fuck this kat"[/orange] -Elroy "tasmanian babes fiasco"

InvisibleRedeyedElf
enthusiast
Re: Newbie looking for Terrarium construction help [Re: CheshirePhat]
    #574119 - 03/09/02 09:16 AM (22 years, 15 days ago)

Your best bet would be to set it all up with the 2L bottle filter to cut back on the amount of humidity, get a hygrometer, and experiment, there is no telling how many "exhausts" it would need, it would all depend on how it gets set-up.

This is science, experiment

--------------------
When the walls quit melting, I'll think of a sig

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Newbie looking for Terrarium construction help [Re: RedeyedElf]
    #574228 - 03/09/02 12:56 PM (22 years, 15 days ago)

You'll need to maintain proper humidity, fresh air exchange and light. It'll be rather easy. You'll need to rig your humidifier to give the right rh%, then, set up some sort of air bubbler for air exchange and a light on a timer. That'll be good enough to leave for a few days. Nobody can give you a dead on design because you'll defently have to play around a little.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

InvisibleMushroom_Madness
enthusiast
Loc: Quaint New England Villag...
Re: Newbie looking for Terrarium construction help [Re: Former_AmigaUser]
    #574618 - 03/09/02 10:10 PM (22 years, 15 days ago)

Start of with the MMGG, and then give it a test run. Use a hygrometer to test the humidity. Then make your changes from there... If you have any questions after you get that far, feel free to PM me or ask the community.

Good luck my friend!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates