Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Unusual Looking "Subs" ID request NZ [Re: Feelers]
    #5710229 - 06/04/06 03:09 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

the cystidia are almost classic subaeruginosa - bowlingpin or lageniform in shape - slightly more swollen than usual.
That being said - dint you say that the mushroom didnt stain blue and didnt have a purple brown spore print? If it did both of these its a subaeruginosa phenotype - otherwise its probably something else entirely.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemunter1234
spaciousmind
 User Gallery

Re: Unusual Looking "Subs" ID request NZ [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #5713278 - 06/04/06 11:13 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

i have found some shrooms that look exactly like those ones pictured, im in auckland, and they were growing a few meters away from a regular looking sub patch.....

they werent really growing under any specific bush as far as i could tell, and i only picked a couple of them because i was interested i was pretty sure they werent subs at the time. it was night time and couldnt see the colours very well so i took a couple just in case.
got home and yes they were going blue (after i got home about 20 minutes lateer, sure they werent blue when growing) although more of a lighter blue with slightly greenish tint. the caps are very pale in colour more of a light grey than the brown/gold of regular subs.
also the caps were alot smaller in comparison (although none looked very mature), stems were alot longer and thinner. caps were more pointy shaped than regular subs.

i have dried a couple of them but threw about four or five out because as i took the caps off at the very top they each had about 2 or three disgusting looking maggots waving around coming out of the stem at the top where it meets the cap. these maggots were most disgusting looking usually i dont mind eating shrooms with tiny little maggot fly things in them but these things looked like actuall maggots it seemed they were living inside the stems at the top.
this probably explains why the caps fell off so easily its funny because the shrooms looked very healthy untill you see the maggots.

has anyone eatin these before by themselves can you confirm they have psylosibin in them and are not poisonous otherwise??

im going to go back to that patch in a couple of days so i might pick a whole bunch more. although i hope they dont all contain filthy maggots like the last ones!!!!
none of the normal looking subs from about a meter away had any maggots or anything like that inside i made sure to check thouroughly.

i can get pics next time but these looked pretty much bang on like the two in feelers pic there.
the ones that i picked barely had any resemblance in the colour of the cap to any regular subs. pretty much fully desaturated apart from the faint blue bruising.

Edited by munter1234 (06/04/06 11:19 PM)

Offlinemunter1234
spaciousmind
 User Gallery

Re: Unusual Looking "Subs" ID request NZ [Re: munter1234]
    #5735963 - 06/10/06 10:25 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

here are some pics of these green fuckers thati picked... i had to throw a bunch out because they were crawling with bugs altho most of the ones in these photos seemed healthy and fine...
one thing i noticed when sorting through them was that their stalks were VERY damn juicy compared to normal subs. even the partially dried out ones had juicy as fuck stalks. ..... which might explain why the little fucking maggots like them so much.
anyway i have these drying now but am unsure weather to eat them or nto would someone please tellme if this mushroom is active or poisonious or whats the deal??? has anyone tested it yet? whats the story?

Edited by munter1234 (06/10/06 10:27 PM)

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
    #5736769 - 06/11/06 01:12 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Well on the ones I posted, I confirmed under the microscope that they were Subaeruginosa - the spore size shape and colour were all correct. The basidia were also nearly the same - I dont know if the difference was percieved or actual, probably just minor genetic differences.

I am sure these are an unusual phenotype of Psilocybe Subaeruginosa, but I cant really speculate on your specimens as you don't get compare them under a microscope. The look exactly the same to me, and if they go blue I very much doubt they are something else. Also note that they could not be spore printed - even under the scope there were few spores around.

SO, as for whether to eat them or not, I think it would be safe, but, use caution as awlays. Wait on some expert opinions like Eris or Bluemeanie, they might have some suggestions.

You could always send me or inski a gill fragment for verification.

Offlinemontmont
Tron
 User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand
    #5736965 - 06/11/06 02:17 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The mushrooms in that second photo from the bottom, bottom 3 right shrooms look like what I usually find and eat around here in Hams. I never ever see subs looking like the larger ones you have to the right. But that is probably because its a city, and all the spots get hammered.

Offlinemunter1234
spaciousmind
 User Gallery

Re: Unusual Looking "Subs" ID request NZ [Re: montmont]
    #5737191 - 06/11/06 04:16 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

well i did try to spore print a few of these for a day or two and got absolutely not spores on my paper at all (at least none that i could see)
they have gone blue on the stalks but its much fainter than that on the regular spores at this stage of drying.

is a gill fragment still identifyable if its dried?

note that the caps on the younger ones are always much pointier than a regular sub and also sometimes a very dark greeny/grey colour. also the gills on the smaller ones are mostly light grey with a hint of green/blue.

OfflineFeelers
Male User Gallery

#5737203 - 06/11/06 04:29 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah look at my pics on the first page http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5679508/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1
Also the caps falling off easily is another similarity - are they attatched right at the top of the stem. There's a diagram of what I mean in this thread too.

Pretty cool - I'm thinking of doing an outdoor bed cloning these bastards, that would be interesting.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #5737280 - 06/11/06 06:40 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

it actually kinda looked like Ps.subcaerulipes - and inski has a mushroom that looks like caerulipes under the microscope, but as youve said this one looks like subaeruginosa.

--------------------

InvisibleshroominDole
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: O.C . S o. C a l .
Re: Unusual Looking "Subs" ID request NZ [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #5737485 - 06/11/06 10:38 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

" there seems to be a bit of a nipple at one end. "

" I notice that in these picks there is a definate pinching at one end of the spore - the thing that I described as a "nipple" in my initial description. "

" I think what you called a nipple on those spores is the apical pore, not positive though? "

"(thus the nipple description) but I imagine that is the apical pore. "

this is the 'hilar appendage' and is on the opposite end from the germ pore........it positions the spore at its junction with the sterigmata away from the other spores for 'blast off' at maturity into space.....the gas explosion for seperation occurs at this junction.

--------------------
Worlds Largest 'Liberty Cap' (Cali Libs Confirmed !)
' Comments On Hallucinogenic Agarics And The Hallucinations Of Those Who Study Them '
Alexander H. Smith
Mycologia vol.69 1977

Offlinemontmont
Tron
 User Gallery

Re: Unusual Looking "Subs" ID request NZ [Re: shroominDole]
    #5739424 - 06/11/06 08:05 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Hi,

You probably know about this document, but it might help to identify the spores if you look at them under a microscope. Seems there are more varieties of mushrooms around here (Waikato) than I thought.

NZ Mushroom PDF

OfflineFeelers
Male User Gallery

Re: Unusual Looking "Subs" ID request NZ [Re: montmont]
    #5739436 - 06/11/06 08:08 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

You probably know about this document, but it might help to identify the spores if you look at them under a microscope.

Nope - cheers man that's exactly what I was lookng for! :laugh:

Offlinemontmont
Tron
 User Gallery

#5740733 - 06/12/06 04:28 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

no problem, glad to help.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale