Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
    #573532 - 03/08/02 05:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

What's the one best book on this subject?

Does Vispana medition deal with Chakras?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
stranger thanyou

Re: Chakras [Re: Breaka1_9]
    #574052 - 03/09/02 07:43 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Books? You can get everything you want on the internet! Find all the good information and compile your own "books" on everything you want. I have 3 ring binders with those clear protective sheets full of articles off the internet. Just the parts I want, where I want them!!!

Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: Chakras [Re: Breaka1_9]
    #577476 - 03/13/02 01:17 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

It depends on whether you are looking for Hindu or Tibetan Buddhist models. The book that I based my dissertation on was Lama Anagarika Govinda's 'Foundations of Tibetan Mysticism.' Although it is the most complex, it is also the most complete. It is Buddhist, but compares the doctrines and includes illustrations of both models. John Woodroff's (Sir Arthur Avalon) 'The Serpent Power' is the most complete of the Hindu system. Personally, I would avoid the simplified, new age fluff that's out there.

The Tibetan Buddhist system combines the fluid, circulatory model of Taoist Chinese alchemy and yoga with the static system of Indian Yoga, synthesizing the best of both spiritual cultures (Tibet is geographically between both places). The Hindu model ends with the experience symbolized by the seed syllable OM ('The Dewdrop slips into the Shining Sea'). The Buddhist model ends with HUM ( the Infinite [OM] descends from the Head Center, Passing through the Knowledge Center of the Throat [AH], and comes to dwell in the finite Heart [HUM]). Not disappearing into the Infinite, the Infinite 'Incarnates' in the finite. Union is surpassed by Compassion - returning to Earth - the Bodhisattva path. Christian mystical parallel seen in Catholic Sacred Heart symbol: the Crown descends to the Heart.

Hope this knowledge is useful.

γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology