Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Loc: Ontario
Re: Music recommendations for first time [Re: eskay]
    #5720071 - 06/06/06 06:22 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

check out some links in this journal entry.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Music recommendations for first time [Re: kaniz]
    #5720236 - 06/06/06 07:05 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Kaniz, thanks alot for leading me to your dj thread.

Some seriously nutty stuff there. Im big into improvisational music,... jazz, hindi music etc.

I think you have a pretty interesting taste in electronic music.
I could very easily get into that type of stuff. It certainly would be great when tripping.

Ive recommended so much music on these music threads(basically the same threads) that im sick of recommending things like grant green, herbie hancock, pat martino etc(and then explaining why).

I would like to take the time to seriously recommend all the music lovers out there who have not been thoroughly exposed to hindi music go out and buy a ravi shankar CD as an initiation into that style. Its pretty much agreed upon that that would be a good introduction, because that style of music is the hardest music to produce aside from jazz music. It is also the hardest to listen to, and if you dont know much about music you might have a hard time getting into it. The best way to listen to it at first is to let your mind sit back and do the work for you, (you dont want to be trying to pick out rhythms you dont understand because then it sounds like shit). Its best to listen to it as if it was a living organism rather than a song with a beat(although there is always an ultra-complex beat).
While on psychedelics you could likely listen to it the right way without even thinking about it. It is certainly one of the most trippy forms of music ever. The bands are often composed of a sitar player, a tamboura player(An unfretted lute of India and Turkey, used as a drone), and a tabla player.
The interaction between the sitar and tamboura resembles the sucking 3 dimentional noises often heard on high doses of psychedelics. The tabla resembles the structure and pixilation of those sounds. Its quite perfect for hallucinogens or sparking a fatty.

Good album to start with, "sounds of india". (he explains his art and how its done on the first track). Its also a great album.
"Full Circle Carnegie Hall 2000" he plays with his daughter(also on sitar), (possibly the best live performance I have ever heard)<--that too can be found on cd very easily.

Invisiblekaniz
That one, overthere.
Male

Loc: Ontario
Re: Music recommendations for first time [Re: stemmer]
    #5720297 - 06/06/06 07:22 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

not a problem, I think alot of people get turned off by techno, and/or electronic music because they have only been exposed to the really commerical stuff. Which quite frankly - is bad, and I dont really blame them.

Also, if you re-check that link, I've added two new journal posts with some more links. I'm not sure if all those links still work, just went through and found some older posts I made on here with other set links - some may work, some may not.

You may also want to check out mnml.nl - a message board dedicated to minimal music. If you register, you can get access to their 'set links' section (where I find most of these links) and find some really great music.

also, livesets.com tends to get quite a few minimal sets posted there too, but I think you need to register to access that forum also.

OfflineAsmodean
Stranger (thanfiction)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pacific North West
Re: Music recommendations for first time [Re: kaniz]
    #5720349 - 06/06/06 07:37 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

personally I cant stand most music with lyrics (with english lyrics anyway) I tend to listen to sitar and tabla type music (any thing by Ravi shankar will get you goin') and Celtic music sung in gaelic (try Altan)

But I've heard lots of people ranting about your typical grateful dead type stuff (which I enjoy when not tripping oddly enough)

I just find that lyrics are distracting and annoying when I'm tripping but I tend to take high doses (5g plus) and sit in complete darkness with music... so maybe thats why...

To sum up Ravi Shankar, Altan, Any Indian or Persian Music

-Asmodean

--------------------
When they kick at your front door how you gonna come? with you're hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

-Guns of Brixton

OfflineOSUbucksfan
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: East PA, USA
Re: Music recommendations for first time [Re: Asmodean]
    #5720406 - 06/06/06 07:52 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

311 is one of the best bands to trip to. I recommend listening to Transistor or the 311 blue album. both are great for tripping and create a great mood for tripping.

--------------------
The lunatic is in my head... there is someone in my head but it's not me! -Pink Floyd

We trip the 'shrooms fantastic and shit gets drastic elbow pull and kick. We trip the 'shrooms fantastic 'n sit gets drastic, check it out -311

Co Cavs!

Offlinepeace_n_love
Soldier of Knowledge
Male

Loc: Canada :)
Re: Music recommendations for first time [Re: OSUbucksfan]
    #5720506 - 06/06/06 08:18 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Beck(!!!), goldfrapp and jimi hendrix, coldplay and jack johnson are all great.

Offlineno_satori
Mu.
 User Gallery

Re: Music recommendations for first time [Re: eskay]
    #5720618 - 06/06/06 08:46 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I'm all about Mars Volta, it's awesome. Orbital is good. For some reason I get into Louis Armstrong when I'm tripping, good stuff. Let's see um, Bjork fucking kills while tripping. Er, play Eruption by Van Halen really loud when you're tripping sometime, blows me away.

I have to avoid The Doors, Hendrix, The Dead, Pink Floyd, Zepplin ETC. when I'm tripping. They are all great bands (except zepplin), but I just feel weird listening to them while tripping. Makes me feel like a white middle class asshole that doesn't know a damn thing, just pumping out the retro jams because thats what the priviledged folks do when they have too much time, money and drugs on their hands (and I'm too old for that shit). Not that anyone on here does that, but I live right on a college campus where rich kids in fraternities wear grateful dead shirts and throw trash in my yard and drive SUVs (with woodstock stickers next to W stickers on them.) Makes me kinda hate the 70's comeback b.s.

--------------------
~NS

Grow Log #1 (P.E.) -

Offlinestemmer
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Music recommendations for first time [Re: no_satori]
    #5720728 - 06/06/06 09:05 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I can agree with all the stuff that has been mentioned.
Bjork is one VERY trippy artist that I would tend to forget about mentioning. God only knows why. Her first major band was called the sugercubes for gods sake. She is also a fucking musical genius.
SO weird and emotional

Thanks for all the suggestions, and I hoped you liked mine.
I mainly just wanted to say that I hate 311(sort of kidding and am just having fun in this thread). I think they are so annoying and ultra-contrived. Just bad form, and the last thing I would want to listen to on a psychedelic drug. Aside from the fact that they are just too heavy and full of crappy ska rhythms/and rap for me to enjoy while tripping. I just think they have a stagnant emotional vibe.
I hated them when I was a kid. I hate them more now.
Hate is a strong word and I dont really mean it. I think they do suck quite hard.

Id rather listen to pantera or slayer while tripping before I stuped to that sad heavy-ska middle ground stationed between heavy music and chilled trippy music.

No one mentioned portishead. So I will.(I love their later years the most).
Im just fucking around about 311 though. Its so much better than some of the crap out there. Im probably just bored and love to talk about music.

Offlinehybridphil
Student

Loc: Milky Way....they'll neve...
Re: Music recommendations for first time [Re: stemmer]
    #5721252 - 06/06/06 11:25 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I have always loved electronica. I'm surprised that most people in North America don't know about DJ Tiesto, like the best DJ in the world. He has some pretty awesome, flowing, and breathtaking sets. Any In Search of Sunrise is beyond awesome while tripping and almost makes you want to cry when you hear it. I also dig a lot of psytrance, Shpongle, Infected Mushrooms, among others. But recently, while on a K trip, I have learned to love Tool. I never liked them before but I bought their new cd cuz it was on sale and after listening to it, it grew on me and I just love all Tool songs, even the ones I had discarded previously. If you don't know what you like, I suggest getting a playlist ready with a taste of all different kinds of music and listen through it while tripping. To each their own.

--------------------
Psilocybin anonymous

Invisiblejustamonkey
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Upstairs
Re: Music recommendations for first time [Re: hybridphil]
    #5725783 - 06/08/06 05:01 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Listen to the brainwave generator and see if you can alter your trip back and forth from good to bad. **Nevermind, reserve for someone with lots of balls.....and experience**

--------------------
[quote]We don't need anyone to teach us sorcery, because there is really nothing to learn. What we need is a teacher to convince us that there is incalculable power at our fingertips. What a strange paradox! Every warrior on the path of knowledge thinks, at one time or another, that he's learning sorcery, but all he's doing is allowing himself to be convinced of the power hidden in his being, and that he can reach it. [/quote]-Carlos Casteneda

OfflineOSUbucksfan
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: East PA, USA
Re: Music recommendations for first time [Re: justamonkey]
    #5735157 - 06/10/06 06:40 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Im tripping out a little right now, and listening to some 311. Dont mess with my band! seen them twice and again this summer.  :headbanger:

--------------------
The lunatic is in my head... there is someone in my head but it's not me! -Pink Floyd

We trip the 'shrooms fantastic and shit gets drastic elbow pull and kick. We trip the 'shrooms fantastic 'n sit gets drastic, check it out -311

Co Cavs!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract