Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDucky
Governor ofRhythm
Male

Loc: on a boat somewhere
Casing Additive, Successful!
    #5723974 - 06/07/06 07:02 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

A few days ago a person cased two shot cup-sized cakes (crumbled) into a 1.5 cup plastic Ziploc brand food container with a relatively airtight lid.  Today that same person did some patching, and expects tomorrow or the next day to show myc. poking up fairly evenly throughout the surface. 

Here's the catch:
He used a standard casing composition of vermiculite, peat, and oyster shell (for pH), but also added in some bee pollen.  Now I know that there's a steroid bee pollen that affects the growth of mushrooms in a positive way, and I was skeptical of the idea of adding it, as it also contains sugars that might favor growth of contams.  I've also heard that bee pollen contains some sort of natural antibacterial.  The casing smelled of fermenting apples for a little while, and even puffed up at first, but some holes were poked in the lid for airflow. 

Is it possible that the added bee pollen, sprayed with enough H2O2 solution, is staying fairly clean and available to the myc. network, and firing up growth as a result?  First nutritive casing layer? :eek:

--------------------
"Whoa! ...did you just see that too?"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshopdropper
Professional Psychonaut
I'm a teapot User Gallery
Loc: Sailing the sea of cheese
Re: Casing Additive, Successful! [Re: Ducky]
    #5724274 - 06/07/06 08:18 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

interesting topic i might wanna give it a try. can you microwave beepollen?

--------------------
DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME: no guarantees can be made about the accuracy of the information herein. The information dicussed in these posts is purely hypothetical, and for intelectual purposes only. Any similarity between internet chat and real life is pure coincidence.

:google:

OfflineTonyMontana
Montana RealtyCompany

Re: Casing Additive, Successful! [Re: shopdropper]
    #5725520 - 06/08/06 01:31 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Where did you get the bee pollen, mang?
Joo kill da bees and take their pollen yourself?

--------------------
"GULF COAST TEXAS SYRINGE! EVERYTHING IS BIG IN TEXAS! Dear Keeper, I send you these pictures and spores so you may pass on this wonderful strain to the world! My cat accidentally ate a spore print and washed it down with 'Keepers Brew' when I wasn't looking. He took a 'DUMP' in your Kit A and before I new what had happened I found these monsters! WHAT THE HELL IS IN THAT BREW!?!? $35.00 + S/H " - SporeTradingPost's 'Keeper': douchebag of the century! [a not so cleverly fabricated testimonial for his website that is only effective in making even his pretend customers look like morons]

OfflineAscension
Stranger

Loc: Still trying to work it o...
Re: Casing Additive, Successful! [Re: TonyMontana]
    #5725593 - 06/08/06 02:17 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I think the question is, has the bee pollen had any effect?

Offlinemajlo
crazy
Male User Gallery

Re: Casing Additive, Successful! [Re: Ascension]
    #5725629 - 06/08/06 02:39 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

any contams? because bee pollen is from allaround....

--------------------
Come see our country, but don't stay too long :smile:

OfflineDucky
Governor ofRhythm
Male

Loc: on a boat somewhere
Re: Casing Additive, Successful! [Re: majlo]
    #5728148 - 06/08/06 07:54 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Word has it that most of the lowspots of the casing are colonized, about 50-60% looking from above. It seems to really have gone fast, however this is someone's first casing too!

Ya, just slaughtered dem bees and robbed 'em... no actually any health food store, like Whole Foods for example, depends where ya live, should have it. It will be refridgerated in a section with other stuff in the nutritional supplements area.

No contams. At first it had a sweet composting apple smell, but it's healthy. No visual contams at all. The casing composition I believe is:
-3 parts vermiculite
-2 parts peat moss
-oyster shell, not sure on amount, just enough to buffer pH
-approx. 5% bee pollen
all measured by dry volume

There is a vermiculite layer at the bottom half the thickness of the crumbled cake layer. All casing mixture was steam sterilized, as this person doesn't have access to a PC, yes for the cakes too. The pollen kernels were processed briefly with a coffee grinder.

Word also has it that due to the immense amount of H2O2 spraying which has taken place so far with this little colony, the following experiment of the same casing with have small drainage holes in the bottom of the container. One has had to tilt it from time to time to soak up a little excess water. Also, with the next run, there might be two casing layers:

1) directly on crumbled cakes will be the layer containing pollen.
2) directly above that will be the surface case

...little concerned about contams once fruiting begins since no more food will be consumed - will leave food in open for bad creatures to get into. Hopefully enough H2O2 will be his answer.

Again, the idea was to get the already colonized myc. in the substrate layer all tweaked out while providing it with some extra super nutrients so that contamination before rebirth wasn't an issue to worry about. So far it works great! Curious to see how fast it begins to pin. Will keep you all updated!

Ideas anyone?

--------------------
"Whoa! ...did you just see that too?"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix