Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Testosterone and religion [Re: Icelander]
    #5726472 - 06/08/06 11:53 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Actually, I think it has not so much to do with sexual repression, as much as the degree of patriarchy. As Mushman pointed out, the Romans were one of the most oversexed societies ever. Or at least the men were. There have been plenty of war-like societies where the men had plenty of opportunity for sex, but not the women.

Come to think of it, there have been rather egalitarian war-like societies as well, such as the Celts. I think the bottom line is: War is caused by humans.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Testosterone and religion [Re: Silversoul]
    #5726495 - 06/08/06 12:01 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Fact seems to be that mostly men make war and testosterone seems to be the reason on the chemical level. There may be many factors at work here, but if you look at the bonobos as one example you will find that healthy and frequent sex seems to limit agressiveness and violence.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#5726512 - 06/08/06 12:08 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Fact seems to be that mostly men make war and testosterone seems to be the reason on the chemical level. There may be many factors at work here, but if you look at the bonobos as one example you will find that healthy and frequent sex seems to limit agressiveness and violence.

Correlation does not equal causation. Yes, bonobos have lots of sex and very little warfare, but that does not mean that one causes the other. How war-like a culture is will not be determined by how sexually repressed they are(history will back me up on this), but on how much they value warfare.

--------------------

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
    #5726539 - 06/08/06 12:19 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
Quote:

Icelander said:

Correlation does not equal causation. Yes, bonobos have lots of sex and very little warfare, but that does not mean that one causes the other. How war-like a culture is will not be determined by how sexually repressed they are(history will back me up on this), but on how much they value warfare.

I agree. I've been celebant for the last couple months and I don't feel agressive. I think it's been a good tool to regulate my emotions.

If you consider the amount of testosterone that you produce when wacking off daily, you only get 2/3 of that when you've don't wack (except on the 7th day after not wacking, when your test boosts to 150% of that amount).

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #5726748 - 06/08/06 01:38 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
Quote:

Icelander said:
Fact seems to be that mostly men make war and testosterone seems to be the reason on the chemical level. There may be many factors at work here, but if you look at the bonobos as one example you will find that healthy and frequent sex seems to limit aggressiveness and violence.

Correlation does not equal causation.  Yes, bonobos have lots of sex and very little warfare, but that does not mean that one causes the other.  How war-like a culture is will not be determined by how sexually repressed they are(history will back me up on this), but on how much they value warfare.

You may be right. I wonder though if my term of "healthy" sex might play into this somewhere. Healthy as in loving relationships among equals. There may have been lots of sex going on in Rome and elsewhere but I wonder if there might be a difference between obligatory, or forced sex and loving consensual sex? Of course I'm just speculating. :wink:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#5726791 - 06/08/06 01:50 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Silversoul said:
Quote:

Icelander said:
Fact seems to be that mostly men make war and testosterone seems to be the reason on the chemical level. There may be many factors at work here, but if you look at the bonobos as one example you will find that healthy and frequent sex seems to limit aggressiveness and violence.

Correlation does not equal causation.  Yes, bonobos have lots of sex and very little warfare, but that does not mean that one causes the other.  How war-like a culture is will not be determined by how sexually repressed they are(history will back me up on this), but on how much they value warfare.

You may be right. I wonder though if my term of "healthy" sex might play into this somewhere. Healthy as in loving relationships among equals. There may have been lots of sex going on in Rome and elsewhere but I wonder if there might be a difference between obligatory, or forced sex and loving consensual sex? Of course I'm just speculating. :wink:

Well, like I said, the Celts had a rather high degree of gender equality, and as far as I know, they were far from sexually repressed.  And yet, they were a culture that valued warfare.  In fact, they had many female warlords who fought alongside the men in combat.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds