Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

Dung Brothers compost kits now shipping again
    #565904 - 02/28/02 01:50 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Dung Brothers is now accepting orders for the DB kits again.  There are a lot of changes as outlined on the website now.
They are no longer selling the 10lb compost kit or refills. Only the 15lb kit will be sold, 15lb refills, grain, and a 50lb compost package.
There will be no replacements with a few exceptions, as noted on the website. Further detailed instructions have been posted to aid growers along in avoiding contaminating there kit. Our current success rate with customers have been around 95% , we hope with the new further detailed instructions that number will go up to a %100.
Also there is now an email address to contact DB's helper regardnig questions on orders. This email is not for growing questions, only a point of contact regarding orders.
Many kits are already assembled and ready to ship. DB has promised to try and get all orders out within one week of receiving orders.
We'll see how these new policies and instructions go and if it works out well DB will continue selling the kits :smile:

To access the info, you can always scroll down on the main page of www.thehawkseye.com until you see the Dung Brothers link, or just click on this :smile:
Dung Brothers Mushroom Compost Kits

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

Edited by Ryche Hawk (03/20/02 01:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerice_cake
Re: Dung Brothers compost kits now shipping again [Re: Ryche Hawk]
    #565951 - 02/28/02 02:38 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Does the compost stink up the room it's in?

--------------------
I'll take the high road, you take the low.
This Jam goes round and out to all the people that grow. -Kottonmouth Kings
-rice_cake

Invisibledimitri211
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Dung Brothers compost kits now shipping again [Re: rice_cake]
    #566344 - 02/28/02 09:46 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

No

Offlineretardricky
Loc: hanover park Il
    #566459 - 03/01/02 12:18 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

If I were to buy just the compost how would I go about sterilizing it. Or is it already sterile. I guess if its not sterile it would be well worth it for the extra 35 bucks.

--------------------
Santa's not the only one with a bag this year.

Offlinerecon
Stranger
Re: Dung Brothers compost kits now shipping again [Re: retardricky]
    #566544 - 03/01/02 05:01 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

The DB Compost comes pre-sterilized. This premium compost will amaze you. Well worth it. Just my thoughts on the subject.
Peace

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
    #570422 - 03/05/02 10:24 AM (22 years, 29 days ago)

What's the skinny on the 200# package? How much is it? Perhaps people could get together on a group split.
The site only lists a 50# package for $275 (ouch, only a dollar cheaper per pound, although I'm sure alot of that is shipping).

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
Re: Dung Brothers compost kits now shipping again [Re: mycofile]
    #570546 - 03/05/02 01:01 PM (22 years, 29 days ago)

Yep with the kind of yields it gives I for one wish he had a kit of say 7.5 pounds..LOL... I d be the proud owner but I hate to grow as many as the 15 pound kit will and end up throwing them away or having them rot or whatever. I also like the fact that with the dung kit you dont need any other equipment and such.

--------------------

Offlinemidnitesun
old-school,master-grower
 User Gallery

Loc: East Coast(on the water-f...
    #570774 - 03/05/02 06:16 PM (22 years, 29 days ago)

i might step on some toes here, but someonee has to stop the madness........i double check the price for 15 pds. for $100 dollars ......your got to be kidding even if it comes with a rubbermiad and some bags of rye.......thats way to high......you can make decent compost by mixing horse dung and straw and a few other goodies if you like ...then pasturing....or if your lazy dr.bluethumbs comes pasturized ready to go for i think a buck a pound right now or regurly...2-3 bucks a pound.......i am not trying to flame you ryche i respect your vast knowledge of this hobby......and have given credit to you for your outdoor tek on ocasion...but someone has to say it aint right......your charging an arm and a leg for that shit....literally..........do not take this personal....i was just being honest your price 's suck.........

--------------------
"3 o'Clock Road Block,hey mister Cop, I ain't got no,Ber-surfer-ticket"(rfic). (Bob Marley)

"Here's an idea,lets make the Constitution legal". (Ron Paul)

"The war on drugs is a lie created by the State to enslave it's citizens".(midnitesun)

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Re: Dung Brothers compost kits now shipping again [Re: midnitesun]
    #571452 - 03/06/02 10:27 AM (22 years, 28 days ago)

You are absolutely right. It is outrageous. And that's been mentioned repeatedly. I've personally seen the shit in action, and it is some of the best compost I've ever seen. But how much better? Well to a complete and utter noob, a lot better. To someone who can prep and care for a straw/dung substrate, not much better. Better? Yes. $95 dollars and two hours less work better? I don't think so. But people are evidently eating it up at any price.

Yes you can make your own, but I've never seen anyone make anything so perfect at home. I've never seen dimitri's but would imagine that since he makes it at home it's comparable to other homemade composts I've seen. All of which work very well, but not quite as well as DB's.

I'd like to see a very reasonable price on large amounts so that people can form co-ops to buy the shit. I don't even grow anymore, but would still like to see people be able to try the compost for maybe $4 a pound MAX pref. $3, inluding shipping. IMHO, nothing in any amount is worth more than that.

On a simple, is it the best analysis, yes it is and is therefore worth a premium. On another very simple cost/yield analysis, I don't think it's price adds up. Then again, on the ease of use, it's right up there at the top. None of these have anything to do with determining price though. What matters is what makes the operation cash flow. That's up to DB and hawk entirely. We'll see what they have to say about the bulk order issue.

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Edited by mycofile (03/06/02 08:22 PM)

InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
    #571672 - 03/06/02 02:59 PM (22 years, 28 days ago)

I hear ya Myco.. but I read the tek and info on Ryche's site. If it does yield close to 6 dry oz over 3 or 4 flushes wouldnt that be less than a buck per dry gram including the spores and all? I guess price is relative to each individuals own personal cash flow. Hell i m a consumer and vendor customer here and yes I would also like to see it cheaper because I can already see that I ll eventually be the proud owner of 15 pounds of shit from Ryche, BUT as a businessman I want to state that profit is not a dirty word. If I couldnt profit i d close my doors today. Like you brother I d love to hear Ryche's markup and margins. I m sure we shall hear soon.

--------------------

Offlinevodgod
journeyman
Re: Dung Brothers compost kits now shipping again [Re: SouthernGent]
    #571780 - 03/06/02 05:58 PM (22 years, 28 days ago)

I will say that this compost does perform as advertised.. I got about 6 ounces dry in 3 flushes from the 10lb kit back when they had those, and it probably would have produced more if I hadn't had to leave town after that...so I think its pobably safe to say that the 15lb kit would provide quite a bit more than that..So while it does seem incredibly expensive, I did not feel in the least ripped off. If you don't feel that the results justify the price then the simple solution is not to order it..

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

#571791 - 03/06/02 06:17 PM (22 years, 28 days ago)

Dioze had some pretty good compost.
Gave good results comparable to dung brothers.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

#571907 - 03/06/02 08:45 PM (22 years, 28 days ago)

Your right, profit is no dirty word for a business man. I don't care to know what kind of profit is made. I'm just curious what the bottom line is for bulk orders.

I didn't check your math, but if you want to bring up cost of producing a dry gram consider this. A simple straw/dung tek can provide somewhat similar results to the compost. If you watch your money, you can get about $.01 per dry gram. What's that, a 900% difference in cost per yield?

Not that it really matters, we all know people are willing to spend money on this hobby, especially to get the goods...and $6 and some change a pound isn't really a lot of money for a hobby. If you've got it...

--------------------

InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
    #572256 - 03/07/02 04:37 AM (22 years, 27 days ago)

point well taken myco, and I for one am glad you dont mind asking the tough questions.

--------------------

Offlinehumplok4201
shroomgod! ye yo
    #572339 - 03/07/02 09:04 AM (22 years, 27 days ago)

my posts keep getting takin away but wasnt ryche going to tell us how to make the compost a couple months ago?
and he said he had a movie?
wtf ryce comeone i want some of the shit

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#584378 - 03/20/02 03:04 PM (22 years, 14 days ago)

Well granted it is a little expensive.... but well worth the money. I have several friends that have ordered them now and they keep coming back for more.
I dont see DB having any plans on dropping the prices in the near future either. They also wont be going any higher either. A big problem he was having was with
to many ppl asking for replacement grain and compost, shipping is expensive and it was killing prophits.
And of course the bottom line for them to do all the work involved in making and shipping those kits is to make money for all their time and investement.
  I think that is going to change though now that I have updated a lot of info regarding how to use the kits and not to spawn the compost with questionalble grain. That was the #1 problem, growers would have 2 or 3 bags of colonized grain, and if one of them was not healthy or questionalbe the grower would spawn the compost anyway and ruin in it. Then ask for a replacement. We've enforced a much stricter replacement policy to eliminate that. If growers read the instructions thoroughly there should not be any problems and everyone will be happy and DB will keep producing the kits.
He wanted to call it quits completly but there is a big High Times article coming out on mushroom kits in a couple of months and the DB Kit is featured.

A little food for thought for you all.... High Times will be running an article on mushroom kits available soon.  The DB kit beat all other kits tested including Homesteads, the Hydrapod, sporeworks mycro bags and a few other kits/teks. And the growers only used 1/2 of the compost from the 15lb kit and it still beat all others. I dont want to say much more.. .you can all read about it when it comes out :smile:

So hopefully with the new changes everything will run smoother this time around :smile:
There is other alternatives such as Blue Thumbs compost. He sells it for what about $2 a lb. Although I have not seen a singe picture that comes anywhere close to his claims of what it produces, its still decent compost and you will get decent flushes from it. And just the fact Dimitri is willing to sell it for $2 a lb says a lot. Making and shipping compost is no easy work. So for those looking for a cheaper route perhaps take a look at BlueThumbs compost.

As for the recipe of the Dung Brothers compost, the guy who turned us on to it asked us not to post how its made. We have to honor his request. Its not our recipe or tek to give away. He was making a video about it but he is in the process of making a lot of things that never gets finished :sad:  Everything with mushrooms seems to be slow going ya know.

As for the 200lb... that was typo on my part. That should have only been 50lbs.. that is where that confusion came from.
There wont be any discounts on bulk orders for now. He may add that in later if he starts seeing a reasonable prophit from this. Give it a couple of months for the new changes and further detailed instructions to pan out and hopefully the replacement requests will be eliminated and he will offer discounts again.

I'm not to sure what more I can say for now.... yah the kit is a little expensive but you get what you pay for...its the best damn mushroom substrate I've ever seen. Hopefully everyone will get a chance to enjoy it at least once and see the difference. :smile:

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

Invisibleblack_dove
journeyman
    #585457 - 03/21/02 04:00 PM (22 years, 13 days ago)

The copmpost is expensive, but people realize what they are getting when they order it, i feel. I personally feel it is muush too expensive for me to go shipping that stuff all over. I mean i walk around and theres like 1000 of cows with tons and tons of manure. A huge bail of straw is 2 bucks. Even good quality compost from any local source will be pennies on the dollar for that kit price. Now, I am not knocking the DB deal, so dont say i am. I'm stating a viewpoint, and an alternative with maybe a backyard and some creativity.
I would like to see the the stuff for real cheap too like myco. I know it takes special care to prepare well too. I heard DB had some difficulty before with the sterilization of grain too. Well hopefully that is taken care of and people will now be happier witht the service and product.
People should really learn to prepare their own bulk substrates. And DB is a good alternative for those have more money than time and space. The reason i say that is because a straw bail is 2-4 dollars. It is more straw than one can possibly cook unless they have a walk-in Autoclave. The addtion of manure or 'compost' is said to greatly increase the size of fruit and overall yield. As someone stated on other forum (swami?) you would need to get like 9x the yield to justify the cost of buying this ready made compost kit. Of course anyone can make this same compost(well come on, they can) for under $20. total and a few months time. This would be for hundreds of pounds of the stuff.(youd be set for a long time)
It is difficult to pasteurize large amounts of the stuff unless you have a huge pot /good system or an autoclave.
My brother who lives in Holland, tried straw spawned with rye for his first time with a bulk substr. He had excellent results compared to with straight rye. Still, he didnt get nearly the yield reported by stamets and others per square ft.
Learn to prepare a pillow of straw. If you live in the country, or near it, just stop by a big cow farm and ask to get some fresh or dried manure. Say its for your garden/flowers/compost. Bring a bag/tub, chop some straw up and mix all, wet it, cook it up. Ok, you've spent like 10 dollars so far. 3 for giant strawbale, maybe 2$ or free for the manure, just offer to help them cleaning up shit once a week. Now you have to buy some bags from Sporewoorks. Luckily they offer then for great price compared to FP. MycoSup is good too. anyway....oh whatever.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules