Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSynesthesia
Stranger
Strain and Pure Culture Technique?
    #570498 - 03/05/02 12:02 PM (22 years, 28 days ago)

I am interested in the theoretical growth of mycelia using the Pure Culture Technique using PDA-PDY broth. I was wondering what strain of psilocybe or other species would best be suited for this technique? Based upon fast colonization, strong mycelia networking, and (not as nearly important) potency.

The setup is a creative one that I hope will work just fine :-) :
5 gallon water jug (Like the culligan water jugs)
Air-pump with air purifier(bubbled through a soln. of H2O2)

If this technique of using a 5 gallon jug is successful I will surely put out a report for the education of the masses.

If anyone is well experienced with this growing technique any suggestions
on possible problems will help out a lot.
Any comments, questions, and criticism is greatly appreciated.

"Tune on, Tune in, Drop out." - The Misunderstood Genius
Chemistry is the psychology of chemicals

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Strain and Pure Culture Technique? [Re: Synesthesia]
    #570571 - 03/05/02 01:31 PM (22 years, 28 days ago)

All strains are equal when it comes to pure culture. H2O2 is not going to sterilize the air effectively. You can buy an inline micron air filter for tubing from fungi perfecti, but they are a little expensive.

If you do get that much liquid culture, I hope you would use it as innoculant and not for extractions. But thats just MO.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineSynesthesia
Stranger
Re: Strain and Pure Culture Technique? [Re: mycofile]
    #570609 - 03/05/02 02:34 PM (22 years, 28 days ago)

Thanks for the tips. I don't know if I should just filter the mycelia soln. to obtain just mycelia... or use a casing tek. What would be the problem with only obtaining the mycelium? Thank you again :smile: 

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #571426 - 03/06/02 09:55 AM (22 years, 28 days ago)

So, were you thinking of simply obtaining mycelium for dosing or extaction? If so, why bother. At best, mycelium is a good bit weaker than fruits, often it's near worthless. It's also not the panacea it's cracked up to be in guides like the psilocybin producers guide. For much more potent and just as efficient production of biomass, simply grow bulk. Cost of supplies, ease of implementation, bio-mass yield from given space, cost per dosage etc etc is all more efficient in a good bulk set-up than from even an optimal mycelium only production method. The only exception would proabably a truly large 100+ gallon fermentation chamber and professional grade extraction. Even at that, the cost and trouble of set-up and trouble shooting would rule that out for even the most advanced hobbyist.

IMHO, mycelium only methods are pipe dreams for all except the easiest to please psilocybin ingesters. And those people are happy with a simply rye grain, cranberry juice extraction method.

On the other hand, 5 gallons of good liquid innoculant would be enough to innoculate more substrate than could fill a small house and it's yard.

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
    #571450 - 03/06/02 10:20 AM (22 years, 27 days ago)

Check out home brew supply stores. You can find huge glass carboys that might be better than the plasic water ones that you are talking about. They also have sterilization stuff as well as airlocks and other goodies for a experiment like this.

Large scale fermentation is how many drugs are produced (antibotics, ect.) in industry. A method like this probibly can be productive if it is done properly.

Also, you may not even need the air pump; it will introduce a way for contams to get in.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Strain and Pure Culture Technique? [Re: Humidity]
    #571460 - 03/06/02 10:35 AM (22 years, 27 days ago)

You will need an air pump. Check out:
In reply to:

In-Line Micron Filters
Designed for in-line filtration of liquids or gases. Particularly useful for in vitro laboratory experiments. Holder is made of tough, transparent polycarbonate, so assembly can be checked and filtration can be observed. Unit can be used for either vacuum or pressure filtration. Unscrew unit to insert 47mm membrane, which is supported on both sides by polypropylene plates. Biologically inert silicone 0-ring seals the membrane and prevents bypass. Removable tubing connectors on either end fit 3/8 inch ID tubing. Holder with membrane is fully autoclavable. Overall length, including tubing connector: 100mm (nominal). Diameter 65mm (nominal).
LFH6527 $79.95
Replacement filters (.2 micron, 47mm diameter, sets of 10)
LF2347 $29.95
Replacement filters (.45 micron, 47mm diameter, sets of 10)
LF4547 $29.95

from http://www.fungi.com/tools/airfilters.html

I still recomend fruits though.

--------------------

Anonymous

#571493 - 03/06/02 11:15 AM (22 years, 27 days ago)

Here's a link to a site that could provide you with the items you need and the price is
less ($8.50 for a .1 micron ULPA filter)

http://www.stpats.com/diffuser.htm#oxygen%20regulator

Anonymous

#571511 - 03/06/02 11:34 AM (22 years, 27 days ago)

If I was going to try to just culture mycellium, I would try one of the sclerotia forming species
such as:
Psilocybe tampanensis
or
Psilocybe mexicana Strain-A

both are available from The Sporeworks:
http://www.sporeworks.com/

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Strain and Pure Culture Technique? [Re: ]
    #572060 - 03/06/02 11:41 PM (22 years, 27 days ago)

Not that I'm for it - cause it's half ass. But -- Hint, start with a fresh tissue culture, in liquid, rather than spores. You can built a real cheap in line filter out of tyvek & pvc pipe & a little ingenuity. Little fish tank air pumps will not have enough pressure to pump through a micron filter - effectivly. A foot pump for a bike will work. Just a few pumps a day. Use a fermentation air trap rubber cork top with peroxide or whatever in it. Best~O~luck. Weak stuff. Fruits are better. SixTango -- out.

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Anonymous

Re: Strain and Pure Culture Technique? [Re: SixTango]
    #572119 - 03/07/02 12:43 AM (22 years, 27 days ago)

Actually, the link I provided is for an in-line filter used for wort aeration, with an aquarium
air-pump. It's used to increase the oxygen to enhance the home brewing process. Check it out...

http://www.stpats.com/diffuser.htm#oxygen%20regulator

Personally, I'll probably stick with fruits myself, but it might be worth experimenting.

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Strain and Pure Culture Technique? [Re: ]
    #572227 - 03/07/02 03:04 AM (22 years, 27 days ago)

OK, That is a cute little pre/fab filter. Just the same -- it has a small sheet of Tyvek in it. You can build one for $1.50

If you going to try it -- suggest tissue to a quart jar & inoc a 5 gallon food grade plastic bucketafter the jar is thick with Myc.

You can drill holes in them to get the air stone near the bottom & a fermentatiom type air outlet valve in the flat lid.

Install a little valve towards the bottom to draw off of & test fluid with a saccrometer (Yaa, I know -- spelled wrong). So you don't have to open & get the batch contaminated.

PDA or MDA (W/O agar) is a simple solution to make in big batch's & works well. Suggest a little peptone -- to boot.

With a bucket -- You can pick them up & swirl to agitate.

Best~O~Luck.

SixTango -- out

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate