Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedeathdes
village idiot
Male User Gallery

lighting MH HPS or Cool whites
    #5712619 - 06/04/06 08:27 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

so i waz wondering what type of lighting is better is it like pot where you need MH for veg and HPS for flower, and these types are better for plant growth then conventional fluorescent tubes (cool whites). or is it they need the light to help induce pinning. but if i had a MH or HPS would this be more effective for these purposes the cool whites

--------------------

Koh Samui strain nice dark spore prints

Orrisa India very nice strain.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: lighting MH HPS or Cool whites [Re: deathdes]
    #5712629 - 06/04/06 08:30 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Coolwhites are best for several reasons most noteable is amount of UV's produced as well as radiant heat issues.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinedeathdes
village idiot
Male User Gallery

Re: lighting MH HPS or Cool whites [Re: hyphae]
    #5712684 - 06/04/06 08:45 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
Coolwhites are best for several reasons most noteable is amount of UV's produced as well as radiant heat issues.

well im a old weed farmer and if i know anything uvs given off buy cool whites is no where nere the high pressure sodium or metal highlide uvs or lumens but for the heat i can see that they would be good for a closet set or something but i have a room for this hobbie it would take me like 24 cool whites to add up to 1 600 watt hps but if that the best for mushrooms ok but i guess you need uvs for pinning and kill  some types of uv sensative bacteria . but if i use cool whites is VHO(very high output)be better

any other opinons :confused:

--------------------

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #5712723 - 06/04/06 08:55 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

By "amount of UV's produced" he meant that fluorescents don't produce UV whereas HPS and MH do. If you used HPS or MH without glass or some sort of UV shield you would kill your mycelium in very short order.

VHO doesn't matter. Since standard lights are cheaper they are a better choice. In fact, the light source doesn't really matter at all. As long as you have enough light to read by it's plenty. Brighter or dimmer doesn't matter.(within reason) 6, 8, 12, or 24 hours a day doesn't matter. There is no way to screw up the lighting, so don't worry about it.

-FF

--------------------
It drinks the alcohol and abstains from the weed or else it gets the hose again. -Chemy

The difference between the substances doesn't matter. This is a war on consciousness, on our right to the very essence of what we are. With no control over that, we have no need to speak of freedom or a free society. -fireseed

"If we are going to have a war on marijuana, the least we can do is pull the sick and the dying off the battlefield." -Neal Levine (MPP)

I find the whole "my drug should be legal but yours should be illegal" mindset disgusting and hypocritical. It's what George Bush and company do when they drink a cocktail and debate the best way to imprison marijuana users. -Diploid

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#5712727 - 06/04/06 08:57 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I use natural lighting... My tubs are in my kitchen near the windows, and get sunlight...

HPS or MH would probably dry your shit up.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5712748 - 06/04/06 09:01 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

deathdes said:
Quote:

hyphae said:

well im a old weed farmer and if i know anything uvs given off buy cool whites is no where nere the high pressure sodium or metal highlide uvs or lumens but for the heat i can see that they would be good for a closet set or something but i have a room for this hobbie it would take me like 24 cool whites to add up to 1 600 watt hps but if that the best for mushrooms ok but i guess you need uvs for pinning and kill  some types of uv sensative bacteria . but if i use cool whites is VHO(very high output)be better

I'm an old hand in that department as well with over thirty years under my belt.
Thanks fastfreddy! Been a long time bro :wink:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinedeathdes
village idiot
Male User Gallery

Re: lighting MH HPS or Cool whites [Re: fastfred]
    #5712786 - 06/04/06 09:09 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
By "amount of UV's produced" he meant that fluorescents don't produce UV whereas HPS and MH do.  If you used HPS or MH without glass or some sort of UV shield you would kill your mycelium in very short order.

VHO doesn't matter.  Since standard lights are cheaper they are a better choice.  In fact, the light source doesn't really matter at all.  As long as you have enough light to read by it's plenty.  Brighter or dimmer doesn't matter.(within reason)  6, 8, 12, or 24 hours a day doesn't matter.  There is no way to screw up the lighting, so don't worry about it.

ah got ya so if i open the window wide its fine ok ty for the help
:thumbup:

-FF

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5712812 - 06/04/06 09:13 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Casings are dark in color this makes radiant heating of the casing an issue it will warm and can easily create excessive transpiration (evaporation). Just something for you to watch out for and take into consideration. :wink:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

Offlinedeathdes
village idiot
Male User Gallery

#5712897 - 06/04/06 09:32 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
Quote:

deathdes said:
Quote:

hyphae said:

I'm an old hand in that department as well with over thirty years under my belt.
Thanks fastfreddy! Been a long time bro :wink:

sorry i did not under stand what y ment by uvs but now i know that there harmful and that lower uvs is better.
rate on 30 years and still growin i cant risk it anymore i waz busted witha 7.8 mil opp in calgary 763 plant according to the news artical i waz 17 sweet im a minor but the pic you see is my last grow the medicine hat police(alberta, canada)kicked in the door 3 weeks after i took the last flowering pic as my avatar now they charge me wife with posstion for the perp, growing with the intenet, and mj extration the courts where asking 18 months incarseration but i got 5 month house arrest to ple guilty to extration and they dropped all my wifes charges oh and 1600$ to the lawyer oh well some how they got the serch warrent for tinfoil over windows i told the go for a drive hlfe the block has tinfoil in the windows but it does not mater judge signed it for that reson lol lol hell that waz 3 years ago. oh well mushrooms for me and cant get in trouble with the law for it well unless there dry

--------------------

Edited by deathdes (06/04/06 09:33 PM)

Offlinedeathdes
village idiot
Male User Gallery

#5712925 - 06/04/06 09:36 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
Casings are dark in color this makes radiant heating of the casing an issue it will warm and can easily create excessive transpiration (evaporation). Just something for you to watch out for and take into consideration. :wink:

ah i never though about it but ya  for pot i put vermic to help bounce that light back up which works great

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order