Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinezanchin
Stranger
Loc: New England
heating setup
    #571037 - 03/06/02 01:03 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I live in New England and growing in the winter is a chore as I have come to find. Ambient temp in my house ranges from 60-65 F. Right now I am using a heating pad underneath an aquarium. The pad sits on a flat piece of 2" thick rigid insulation. In the aquarium the jars sit on top of a metal screen elevated 2" from the bottom preventing direct heat transfer. Another piece of the rigid insulation sits on top of the aquarium. The temp leveled off at 76 F (yeah!). When fruiting starts what should I do, I would like to use a perlite humidification tek but I can't put it directly on the bottom. Anyone know of a way to heat without drying? Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: heating setup [Re: zanchin]
    #571051 - 03/06/02 01:22 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Very good tek is to buy a submersible aqaurium heater available alot of places for <$20 and u can regulate the temp very easily without drying out. I use a cheapo like $6 and i get regulated temps outside of jar around 80-82 although mines not a variable temp set. The tek is covered in full here http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/incubator.html

and another here
http://www.fungifun.org/pf/pfdummies_en.htm#inkubation

OfflineNorthernsoul
Your Reality

Loc: Inner Eye
Re: heating setup [Re: zanchin]
    #571219 - 03/06/02 05:17 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I live in Canada and I have very cold temps in my house too (60-68degrees).....The best method Ive found was getting an aquarium heater 50Watts is enough..and putting it in a jar of water. I use 2, 1 in each corner. The great thing about this method is, if you leave the jar with no lid while the aquarium heater is goin, you will get ALOT of humidity 100%!!..Now if you close the jar, and leave it a little open..like a sliver open..you will lower the humidity ...but let me warn you, you will need alot of patience and tinkering to get the humidity perfect AND the heat perfect, just stick with using it for heat and use perlite for humidity.
Let me know if you have any questions :wink: 

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes
I'll know, I know
Just take my clothes and leave
And I'll be gone

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation