Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineseattlekid
Stranger

PR casing - slow growing and small (pics)
    #569853 - 03/04/02 06:48 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

My friend has decided to try to case a muiltspore inoculation of Puerto Ricans on rye in a 50/50+. He is using a rubbermaid tub (14 gal) with damp peralite on the bottom. He also has light 12/12 and a fish pump running roughly 7 hrs a day. Temp is right around 78 F. Substrait (rye grain) is about 1 in to 2 in thick. 50/50+ is about 1 in thick on botton and 1/2 - 1 in on top. Now his problem is that his PR shrooms seem to be very small and very slow growing. Pinning started around the 18th of Feb and the pics included in the post where taken on Mar 4th. Some shrooms with shoot up in a day or two becoming the tallest of the bunch but then stop growing, the cap doesn't even spread out. Now he has noticed that there is a problem with overlay, he is just unsure how to correct the problem. He has heard of deep scratching but it seems that there are as many negative things said about that as positive. It seems like no matter what overlay will develop, pinning actually won't start until the casing was overlaided (has a few other casings that overlaid just the same). His been looking at posting trying to find something similar to his but hasn't found anything. He also noticed how his PR don't really look a whole lot like those pictured on the shroomery. Anyhow, any insight would be extremely helpful. Kinda cool how many of them there are, havn't seen a whole lot of casings like that either...
And yes that is a full sized bic not a mini

--------------------
Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.

Edited by seattlekid (03/05/02 12:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetomldp
Shroomeur

Loc: Europe
Re: PR casing - slow growing and small (pics) [Re: seattlekid]
    #570288 - 03/05/02 05:34 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Very strange looking casing. Are you sure that these are PRs ? You may need to provide more air exchange. I'm not sure, but the humidity seems very high. Please post the results. I'm curious.

--------------------
:laugh: Visit and support the Free Spore Ring Europe :laugh:

InvisibleNighted
Ghost

Loc: Funkytown
Re: PR casing - slow growing and small (pics) [Re: tomldp]
    #570295 - 03/05/02 06:00 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, that looks like PR...and the say that the PF strain is bad for aborts!

--------------------

Freedom defined is freedom denied.

Nighted is better than Google. Please take time to rate 5/5. Thanks!

Offlinelsdncapz
    #570378 - 03/05/02 09:05 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

whats your temperatrure runni at?i had a problem with overlay a few times then fixed my temp. and have had no problem at all with it.or it may be lack of humidity or air exchange.

--------------------
LSD is not for everyone!

InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
    #570437 - 03/05/02 10:44 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

hey Mickey Finn is that you in seattle? lol.. I still like your little red dancing dude... how many more days of the boycott left?

--------------------

Offlineseattlekid
Stranger

Re: PR casing - slow growing and small (pics) [Re: lsdncapz]
    #570528 - 03/05/02 12:33 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

my friend re-measured the temp and its right around 75 with lights off. He has rope lights that run above the setup (around 8-10 inches from tub) and when they are on they raise the temp a few degress but not higher than 82.
In regards to tomldp post about the humity - it could be to high he doesn't know because he doesn't have a gauge in there (can't ever find a good one). His guessing that it can't be that high though because all he has in there is just a layer of damp perilite, plus when the fish pumps are on they are pumping in room air (thru a filter box of course) so that probably keeps the humity from getting to high. Oh yeah and his postive that they are PR (unless spore works made a mistake...but i would seriously doubt it)
He is also currently trying a tray of artic coast under the same conditions above to see if the problem with overlay is because of the setup or because they are just PR. Other ideas?

--------------------
Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #570568 - 03/05/02 01:28 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Perlite provides too much humidity for casings. Keep your temps down if youi can, no need to go over 75. The humidity makes them not mature, or mature slowly. In high humidity, there is no evaporation from the casing surface. The evaporation carries water and nutrients up to the shrooms via a capilary like effect. Proper humidity levels will increase evaporation, increasing growth. Air pumps don't really put out much air, and if it's a good sized chamber, they aren't really helping out with the humidity very much.

Another problem is that there are too many shrooms. Your substrate can't feed that many mouths all at once. A deeper substrate layer might have a better chance with it. A much deeper one. I've only ever seen pin sets that dense and even all fully mature off of 6-8 inches of bulk substrates.

Perhaps if they really don't get any bigger in a day or two, pick all the deffinate aborts (the ones with the brown/black caps) without disturbing the other guys. Maybe once they stop competing with the others, normal maturation will occur.

Thats all standard cube advice, it applies to all strains. Not having any experience with the PR's, I can't comment on anything strain specific. But that is a hell of a pin set. If you could do that on a bulk substrate, you would have some beautiful flushes!

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinetomldp
Shroomeur

Loc: Europe
Re: PR casing - slow growing and small (pics) [Re: mycofile]
    #570699 - 03/05/02 04:47 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I just realised that if the fruits want to grow, you'll have an awesome flush !
I never growed PR, that's why is asked if it was really PR's. I'll try them soon. They seem interesting.
The reason why I thought there was too much humidity/not enough air exchange is that a few shrooms on the first pic (on the left) seem to have mycelium growing on all the stem. Am I wrong or mycelium is actually growing all over the shroom ?
I definitely would like to see the evolution of this casing !

--------------------
:laugh: Visit and support the Free Spore Ring Europe :laugh:

Offlineseattlekid
Stranger

#570771 - 03/05/02 06:11 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

mycofile - what would you suggest using instead of perlite?

--------------------

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
    #570781 - 03/05/02 06:28 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

dont use any perlite. casings provide alot of humidty themselves. just spray the sides of the fruiting chamber and mist your casings as needed

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Offlinehumplok4201
shroomgod! ye yo
Re: PR casing - slow growing and small (pics) [Re: pleezr]
    #571034 - 03/05/02 11:01 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

dont listen to pleezr he sucks dick for money and shrooms

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: PR casing - slow growing and small (pics) [Re: humplok4201]
    #571419 - 03/06/02 09:38 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Hey fuck face, why don't you go elsewhere as I told you in another thread. Your shit ain't welcome here. Tracking in stupid shit from another stupid shit issue in another stupid shit thread is not the way to get along here.

Pleezr's answer was right on the money. It's exactly what I was getting ready to type before I read it. I assume you'll question my growing expertise and flame me as well?

Most casing terreriums can be maintained perfectly well without any further mechanical means other than a fine mist spray bottle. If you want to automate it, a coolmist humidifier as described by shroomgod in the grow section here is a great place to start, once modified, they can provide perfect humidity as well as adequate air exchange. The reduced humidity will not only help the current situation, but also help prevent overlay in the first place.

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Edited by mycofile (03/06/02 09:44 AM)

Offlinehumplok4201
shroomgod! ye yo
    #571488 - 03/06/02 11:13 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

sorry
nice big shrooms in your advar
how did you grow those suckers?

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #571887 - 03/06/02 08:14 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the comment and the apology, don't see to many no strings apologies on these boards.... Those were probably a clone on peroxidated agar to quart of peroxidated birdseed to a bag of peroxidated birdseed to a deep layer of pasteurized straw/cow dung mixture cased with coir/lime. Maybe straight dung though, the coir may have been straight with no lime, and maybe nothing was peroxidated, I'm not sure. I don't grow anymore, just talk, and my memory gets a little fuzzy sometimes.

--------------------

Offlineseattlekid
Stranger

#572387 - 03/07/02 10:23 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Thanx for all the advice. My friend has decied to thin the heard so to speak and we'll see where that gets him. I think he said that he picked something like 200 grams wet of abhorts. Anyhow I'll keep you guys posted and let you know how it turns out

--------------------

OfflineMickyFinn
Fuck the DJ
Loc: VA Beach VA
    #572640 - 03/07/02 03:58 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

hey Seattlekid, thanks for changing your avatar and good luck on your flush! pm me in about a week, ill send you a print from this fl cube that my friend has. peace

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
    #779399 - 07/26/02 10:25 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reply to:

dont listen to pleezr he sucks dick for money and shrooms

WOW! What was the meaning of this shit? I was never aware of this reply..........what a fucknut.

Excuse his ignorance, I dont usually let my children talk to me like this. He will be disaplined I assure you

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract