Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Help with pints :(
    #570946 - 03/05/02 11:45 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Ok heres the setup i have like around 8 pint jars incubating around 82 degrees in a rubbermaid with the aquarium thermometer in a tub of water. Guessing rh is pretty high since condensation is gathering on inside of tub. Jars havent been growing well after 13 days and the strain is PF. I've loosened the lids last nite to let some air exchange in? Did i ruin my jars by loosening the lids? Thanks for any/all responses guys the knowledge in these forums is great and i've been trying to deduce the answer myself but cant.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMickyFinn
Fuck the DJ
Loc: VA Beach VA
Re: Help with pints :( [Re: Anonymous]
    #571023 - 03/06/02 12:52 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

does this mean you innoculated 13 days ago, or day 13 is the last day you noticed growth. you shouldnt have caused harm by loosening your lids, as long as you dont open them. i dont know how you feel about flipping your jars, but i havent had decent success with flipping jars, i got a contam the one time i did it and decided against it in the future.
back to your 1 pints. its taken almost 2 months the last time i knocked up 4 pint jars. so you might just have to kick back and relax and keep your temps where they are at. good luck.

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

#571026 - 03/06/02 12:53 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like you did the right thing by loosening the lids. Now remember that the inside of the jars will be hotter than the temperature of the water on the outside. So dont set your thermometer to high or you will cook the mycelia.:)bluhoney 

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Anonymous

Re: Help with pints :( [Re: bluhoney]
    #571038 - 03/06/02 01:04 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well thanks to the both of you your responses are always very informative.  Going to check tonite if any contams have started and also the temp is around 80 outside of jars so im guessing or hoping for around 83-85 inside jars :smile:  primetime baby.  But i've been reading and yea i know made a huge mistake with pint jars.  Next time im thinking of rye grain with honey tek and then doing a casing on something.  But with these pints its been 13 days since innoculation and just started incubating around 3 days ago...and just loosened the jar lids the other nite since i thought about co2/o2 air exchange.  also u guys got any good plans for terrarium setups? and with my incubator is it wrong to have condensation on sides of my tub?? 

Oh yea some bad news after just checking I think almost all of my jars have some type of gree contamination that appears in a ring or a circle near vermiculite layer?  I thought i was clean ? :frown:  Also got any links to jars like 30% colonized and such since im a first timer here....  Any saving for my jars with contams? :frown:

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

#571382 - 03/06/02 10:55 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

If its green, at this stage, Im affraid not. May I ask what your substrate and beginning steps were, then we may be able to fix the next batch.:)bluhoney. Throw those away its time to start a new one. 

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Offlinefungichick
Your mom
    #571846 - 03/06/02 09:23 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Unfortunately, there are many different reasons one can get contams. It's hard to know what may have happened without knowing what steps you took to get to the point you are right now.

A friend of mine had a problem with green contams between the vermiculite and substrate. After taking a look at his jars I noticed the vermiculite was quite damp around the edges. He apparently forgot to wipe the moisture from the top inside of his jars of substrate before adding the top dry layer of vermiculite. When he put in the dry vermiculite over his substrate the vermiculite may have soaked up some of this leftover moisture.

If your lids are on too loose or the holes used to inoculate your jars aren't properly covered during the sterilization process excess moisture may seep into your jars. If the vermiculite layer isn't dry it may not effectively keep out contams during colonization. When wet, it may act like a wick and let contams sink right through to the colonizing substrate.

bluhoney is right, you should toss the contaminated jars. Trying to save them can prove more frustrating (and pointless in most cases) than starting a new batch. Good luck!

Anonymous

Re: Help with pints :( [Re: fungichick]
    #572127 - 03/07/02 02:47 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Welp double crap u guys :frown:  I seperate the ones with possible contam tonite from ones who still look decent. Gonna throwout the ones with green blotches tomorrow and try to find some spores online i guess :frown: Since i never got to my first flush for my prints or anything.  Also any bad exp. with nanook's karo tek?  Thats what im gonna try next time so i always always have a backup :/  Didn't really wanna save them.  Also is there anyway i can insert a sterilized piece of metal or something in between verm/substrate?  Bluhoney the tek was the original PF :smile:  But with pint jars :frown:  Also i forgot to upturn the lids to be inverted :frown:  And as of yet i do not have a pressure canner if someone could write a buyers faq on what to look for cuz im looking to get out as cheap as possible cuz i've put in a fair amount of dough and had no results :frown:  Fungichick it seems that me and your friend have had the same problem :/  But i deliberately loosened lids to kinda try to stimulate growth next time leave them loose or tite????? 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation