Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
You won't read this? C'mon
    #570739 - 03/05/02 07:37 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I wonder how well the subject title will work...

Schmanyways:
The "Throwin' the Baby out with the bath water" Syndrome...
Why should we give a shit about hypocrisy anyways?
Everyone seems so stuck on consistency.
"Fuckin' hypocrit... blah blah... that's why you're full of shit..."
WHO CARES?
I think it stems from us being raised on that METHOD OF AUTHORITY. Now that we have a little ability to doubt, we start bitching about the absolutes rendered upon us by some authority figure. Maybe we're just being a little too harsh because we're pissed that they weren't perfect like we initially THOUGHT they were. How many times did you hear "I told you so" we you were a kid? After so many times of those authority figures proving themselves right, it was only natural to think that they had all the answers....

Then we get a hang o' life and we start realizing that those authority figures had some wrong ideas and whatnot. So what did we do??? We tried to bash their world apart. Now we do it to everyone all the time (and we even tear ourselves apart)... because of What? Because we were let down. Pity poor us.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe it's just a terrible tragedy.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
Re: You won't read this? C'mon [Re: Sclorch]
    #572411 - 03/07/02 12:56 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

We miss our heros....unfortunately the youngbloods don't feel important enough or worthy enough to become who they truely are....sigh....I like heros.....

Offlinealphatrion
journeyman
    #572606 - 03/07/02 05:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I wonder how well the subject title will work...
it's in the not subject title.

I think it stems from us being raised on that METHOD OF AUTHORITY
anti-authoritive raising of children does not work, they need borders, a sense of direction/meaning from the parents so that they can create their own identity in this contrast and grow beyond it. Too authoritive can indeed be suffocating.

We have to live our own live unfortunately/fortunately. One book i treasure highly is a sci-fi novel by Pamela Sargent 'Earthseed' (1983). It has the best description of the pain of growing up in this regard. From 12-18 it was the only book on spot no. 1 on alphatrion's fav book list.
http://www.sff.net/people/PSargent/earthsee.htm

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: You won't read this? C'mon [Re: alphatrion]
    #574261 - 03/09/02 03:57 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

anti-authoritive raising of children does not work, they need borders, a sense of direction/meaning from the parents so...
I don't think you understand what Method of Authority means...
It is a personal, psychological process that some people use to function in this world. They take what some authority gives them and never question it. This tends to lead to mediocre cognitive functioning. The method of doubt is the opposite... going through cycles of doubting everything, even doubting your concept of your self, betters your reasoning and thinking skills. You'll find these people are more creative and grounded, in general.

--------------------

Offlinealphatrion
journeyman
    #574397 - 03/09/02 06:49 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

ok, i shouldn't have equaled anti-authority with the "method of doubt", they are different. I just wanted to say that the method of doubt in casu the raising of children can have its drawbacks for similar reasons.
Also sometimes the best thing to do is to accept things the way they are and not doubting them, for example death, love, life... not rationalize them to death if you know what i mean. But the method of doubt is a good thing imo, although a little doubt about it doesn't do harm.

OfflinecHeMiCaLoRaNgE
journeyman

Loc: Saskatoon, SK., Canada
Re: You won't read this? C'mon [Re: alphatrion]
    #588300 - 03/24/02 06:47 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

hey if everything was the way it was supposed to be their would be no authority, ever heard the statement " everyone is created equal ", the adults are not smarter than us nor do they know anything more than we do, or deserve any better. think of them as working for the devil and not knowing it, it is their job to blind us from the truth when we are born, the truth that knowledge exceeds the naked eye and comes to us from within and from" out there", hence we keep coming back to that nasty little bitch, the ego.

--------------------
<+> wOrLd PhIlOsOpHy CaN OnLy bE UnDeRsToOd ThRoUgH aStRaL aWaKeNiNg<+>

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: You won't read this? C'mon [Re: cHeMiCaLoRaNgE]
    #588337 - 03/24/02 07:37 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, for instance, priests....
Priests don't know jack about the Bible. Sure, they can quote it, but they interpret everything literally. I can't count on two hands how many priests I've laid into and have had them finally resort to the "I can't explain why I believe this, it's just... you have to have faith in order to really understand" argument. Which reminds me of this post that no one read:

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
    #588339 - 03/24/02 07:38 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

When you give it a name, it means less. Like short, clever one-liners that mean nothing to the masses? it?s no more than a catchy or witty chorus to a song without rhythm. A song sung by only a few martyrs. Martyrs who died and passed on a meme that could only be understood by future martyrs?
But why? Hope. The hope that others will reach out for the grail. Come to think of it, the song does have a discernable rhythm? but it is too complex to understand? it can only be felt. Master those ears and one lives forever? forever-here-and-now and via memes. It?s not logically absolute, but there is a constant beat. A rhythm to be danced to. A rhythm to be loved. What am I doing? What am I saying? If everything goes as planned, ALL this will make sense. Abstraction is necessary though. Those in the past have not been abstract enough. Loose anecdotes do not favor the deaf. Instead, the shallows are somehow twisted into truth. Then some pseudointellectual bastards come and chop up the beautiful song into nice and neat little sound clips. These power-mongering fools then play them whenever (and in whatever order) they see fit. It?s no wonder that many cannot hear the song? they haven?t heard but bits and pieces of it. They?ve been assured, though, that they?ve heard the whole song and just can?t understand it like the fools do. But it?s not all the fools? fault; the song isn?t exactly locked up in a vault. The hollow have not heard the music because they weren?t really listening. They were too blinded by the artificial, menacing fluorescent lights of Easy Street. You know, the street that the fools keep singing about. It?s paved with gold, every traffic light is green, there aren?t any speed bumps, and everyone is smiling. Damn the lying fools!
The fools know the power of the song, so they try to harness it. They create mobs of these Helen Kellers, so we need to write down the notes in such a manner so that only those whom truly feel the rhythm pounding the light into their hearts can enjoy the gains. I suggest the key of Obscurity major.

--------------------

OfflineLethalDoseofLife
Stranger

Loc: New Jersey
    #589019 - 03/25/02 03:48 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Do you think Mehtod of Authority and Method of Doubt are somethings learned alone?

As it takes two to Tango. The rule/idea/one-liner applies here too. When someone goes through life accepting what is handed to them without question and never doubts is that way from the teachings of (at first, early in life) their parent(s), then later by their peer(s, those who have one should be thankful at least one person can deal with you). If your parents are good at parenting then you would have learned to doubt by their rules that contradict eachother, some do this on purpose and others by accident. Ex-not letting you do something one day and then on another even though the scenerio is laid the same way. From that, you begin to ask why now and not then. Obviosly this doesn't happen right-away, that's why it's called "learning" and not "knowing." But through environment(home and well-being) and community(other adults and friends) with all of their input your learning curve is made. Once given two factors you come up with an answer, add another factor, and you come up with more possibilities, add another and so on. Through trial and error (which your "heroes" have done already using their own factors) we begin to decide which answers are not right and won't work for you (but might for another person).

Tearing appart the world of the parent/teacher is a by-product of learning more than your parents. You peers have taught you more in contradiction than your parents did, thus you try to teach them, because you feel superior. And hopefully your intentions are to teach them and not turn out to be inferior/unlearned by trying to show that you are great by nya-nyaing and mocking them. (If you want to measure your dick, do it with a ruler).

It's all a matter of attitude/point-of-view. If you feel "let down" by your teacher then, you haven't learned a thing and it's time to switch gears and go at it(learning, grasping the question, "What does it all mean") a different way. What you might try is looking at it as if you've been given several lifetimes of doubts/contradictions/trial and errors to equate the way you know how. And as it takes two to Tango, it is up to you to carry the 0 and and factor the 1.

Those who are doubtless are those who are missing a few factors and should be, with respect, taught what they are. We, as in those participating in lifffe, are teacher to all. Teaching one person is an acheivement. Teaching none is learning.

Be warry of those who pretend to be doubtless, they may be the ones who are teaching by inciting a frustrating situation that produces doubt. In turn, you learn.

--------------------
I'm not the Begining, but I will be the End.
Death is but a doorway, time is but a window, I'll be back.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: You won't read this? C'mon [Re: LethalDoseofLife]
    #589209 - 03/25/02 07:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Obviously the Method of Doubt comes out of the Method of Authority. Initially it takes the MA and the MD to tango, but I think that the MD ought to replace the MA as soon as possible (it would be a bonus if it were to happen before high school).

--------------------

OfflineLethalDoseofLife
Stranger

Loc: New Jersey
    #589378 - 03/25/02 09:50 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I hadn't mentioned other couples on the dance floor, like MA+MD but yeah they do have an obvious correlation. I was referring to the student/child and the teacher/parent. I was meaning that we can't entirely blame them (the parents) for our destructive "terrible teens." Although, the revelation of finding out that we must start making our own decisions isn't pretty. Before high school, "HA!", remember there are places like North Dakota and Easter Island, where populations are at a bare minimum and inbreeding is on the verge. Places similar won't produce a whole lot of different scenerios where contradiction and MD will take place, because the population is so small. Meaning that some may not shed the MA skin until mid to late twenties.

Take DNA, for example, there are four bases, but thousands of combinations. With that in mind, notice how people have one or two similar physical characteristics. Blonde hair, blue eyes, and Roman nose, etc... Now if you imagine each person is a complex-base and bind them with all the people, teachings, happenings, thoughts, doubts that are in someone's life. That someone will have thoughts, beliefs, favorites and behaviors that are different and similar to others. Someone in Tucson, AZ and someone from Hong Kong, China liking the same music. Combinations repeat, they're bound to. So if you find an asshole/jerk off/moron, genius/power thinker/teacher, don't worry, like cockroaches, find one, there'll be more. So someone lacking these combinations is less likely to shed the MA learning method until a later age.

--------------------
I'm not the Begining, but I will be the End.
Death is but a doorway, time is but a window, I'll be back.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology