Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemidnighttoker
Stranger
newb jar prep questions, plz help :)
    #5705203 - 06/02/06 07:31 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

first time i ever prepared my jars i did not read the pf tek. i just grabbed the jars and stuck 4 holes on the top, i did not put the rubber side up. is this necessary?

should the rubber side be facing up be in that position through sterilization and incubation?
how much water is ideal in the pot for steaming ?
would it be ok if i stacked the jars in the pot?

and last if i put a dry verm layer on the top of my BRF do i need to leave the tape and/or foil ontop of my jar for incubation?

sorry if any of these questions may seem "easy" for most but I tried to research as much as possible before asking.
thank you all in advance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineentelligence
Stranger

Loc: The Great Outdoors
Re: newb jar prep questions, plz help :) [Re: midnighttoker]
    #5705223 - 06/02/06 07:40 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Apparently the rubber seal up/down doesn't matter. More importantly you would want to make sure that the pokey side of the lid (from making the holes) is facing down so that you don't rip the foil. As far as amount of water, the water should be about half way up the jars, more importantly here though is that water wont slosh up to the jar tops. I'm not sure if it would hurt anything to stack the jars, but I probably wouldn't. It isn't too much harder to simply do another batch. Lastly, the verm layer is all that you need. If you have the verm layer, you have no need for foil/tape/etc during incubation

--------------------
First Casing - B+ on HPoo

Offlinekilroy
Hightimes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Deep within my spirit Flag
    #5705231 - 06/02/06 07:42 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

okay lets say B.S. on you researched this, if you had researched any of this you would know some of it and your first statement is that you did not even read the pf-tek right. so where is the research that you did. go to the faq section and look up pf-tek and fallow some of the instructions and you will have a better idea of what you are doing. rubber should face up just so it is easier to get the lid off later, steamer, I have no idea, look it up. read some before you try to get everyone else to do it for you, if you do not have enough patiences to read it then you will fail badly but, GL

--------------------
IS NOT THE JOURNEY OF THE TRIP JUST AS IMPORTANT AS REACHING THE DESTINATION.

OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
    #5705261 - 06/02/06 07:54 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Never did PF but,

When boiling have more then enough, but not that it could bubble to the lids. And no to the staking idea, the jars need to be in the water.

I dont think upside down lids are needed,

Yes, even with the top layer of vermiculite you still need gas exchange I like to use this,

Like I said I have never done it, just a few thought,

On a side note lets try to answer the question, or at least provide a link that would be helpful, instead of berating someone for not posting questions that were not thoroughly searched for.

There is an old saying; if you have nothing nice to say........

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Offlinemidnighttoker
Stranger
Re: newb jar prep questions, plz help :) [Re: kilroy]
    #5705263 - 06/02/06 07:54 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kilroy said:
okay lets say B.S. on you researched this, if you had researched any of this you would know some of it and your first statement is that you did not even read the pf-tek right. so where is the research that you did. go to the faq section and look up pf-tek and fallow some of the instructions and you will have a better idea of what you are doing. rubber should face up just so it is easier to get the lid off later, steamer, I have no idea, look it up. read some before you try to get everyone else to do it for you, if you do not have enough patiences to read it then you will fail badly but, GL

"first time i ever prepared my jars i did not read the pf tek. "

this was in the past, therefore it is not my first time anymore(reading comprehension for the win eh?). i recently read the pk tek before i even posted. if you read the pf tek it doesnt say anything about any of the questions i asked. so why dont you stick your hand back up your ass and remove the bug plz.

ps. fallow?  :tongue:

Offlinekilroy
Hightimes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5705268 - 06/02/06 07:56 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I am going to say I am sorry for my outburst, bad day but that is no excuse. Do mean steamer or pressure cooker, with a steamer I do not think stavking would be very good but I am not sure about this, if you mean PC(pressure cooker) all you need is about 1 inch of water in it. The tape is good to leave on till you see growth then you can remove, the tin foil is only need during the stirilzation part to keep more water from entering your jars and making them to damp. I am sorry for blowing up. GL on your study and learn patiences with this type of hobby is the most important part. Alot of reading in the faq section and past post will help as well, when searching make sure to make it past one year. I hope this will help make up for my bitchyness tonight.

--------------------

Offlinemidnighttoker
Stranger
Re: newb jar prep questions, plz help :) [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5705273 - 06/02/06 07:57 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Snaggletooth said:
Never did PF but,

When boiling have more then enough, but not that it could bubble to the lids. And no to the staking idea, the jars need to be in the water.

I dont think upside down lids are needed,

Yes, even with the top layer of vermiculite you still need gas exchange I like to use this,

Like I said I have never done it, just a few thought,

On a side note lets try to answer the question, or at least provide a link that would be helpful, instead of berating someone for not posting questions that were not thoroughly searched for.

There is an old saying; if you have nothing nice to say........

i have that exact 3m tape. i guess i'll just do a couple jars at a time since i cannot stack. thanks for answering  :grin:

Offlinemidnighttoker
Stranger
    #5705308 - 06/02/06 08:10 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kilroy said:
I am going to say I am sorry for my outburst, bad day but that is no excuse. Do mean steamer or pressure cooker, with a steamer I do not think stavking would be very good but I am not sure about this, if you mean PC(pressure cooker) all you need is about 1 inch of water in it. The  tape is good to leave on till you see growth then you can remove, the tin foil is only need during the stirilzation part to keep more water from entering your jars and making them to damp. I am sorry for blowing up. GL on your study and learn patiences with this type of hobby is the most important part. Alot of reading in the faq section and past post will help as well, when searching make sure to make it past one year. I hope this will help make up for my bitchyness tonight.

its quite alright. all my questions were answered. muchos gracias.  :stoned:

Offlinekilroy
Hightimes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5705331 - 06/02/06 08:18 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I am sorry man, I do not usally do that sort of thing and I feel like crap because I had a bad day and took it out on you and there is no excuse for that behavior. I am sorry and will not let it happen agn. God I feel like crap for doing that. GL with your study and snaggletooth had it dead on if nothing nice to say, then keep my mouth shut. I ask that you and everyone else in here forgive me and I will not let it happen agn.

--------------------

Offlinesplifner180
Student
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, East Coast
    #5705349 - 06/02/06 08:23 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

midnighttoker writes:
"i did not put the rubber side up. is this necessary? should the rubber side be facing up be in that position through sterilization and incubation?"

The point of putting the rubber side up is to prevent having to pry the lid off when you extract the colonized WBS. I put mine rubber side down. Preference.

"how much water is ideal in the pot for steaming ?"

Depends. You could always do this...

Put in some arbitrary amount of water into your PC. Maybe 25% full, whatever. Just make sure you measure how much you put in. Throw in some empty (but sealed) jars just to make the environment similar to what a "live run" would look like. PC this setup for as long as you'd PC your WBS, remove from heat, allow to cool. Open and measure what water remains.

That's how much you can expect to lose in a given PC run so try to make it that amount plus a little extra as a buffer.

"would it be ok if i stacked the jars in the pot?"

No problem.

splif

--------------------
First Grow: Ecuador -> LC -> HPoo/Straw -> Monotub
Build a Do-It-Yourself Magnetic Stirrer in thirty minutes with no money.

Offlinemidnighttoker
Stranger
    #5705390 - 06/02/06 08:34 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kilroy said:
I am sorry man, I do not usally do that sort of thing and I feel like crap because I had a bad day and took it out on you and there is no excuse for that behavior. I am sorry and will not let it happen agn. God I feel like crap for doing that. GL with your study and snaggletooth had it dead on if nothing nice to say, then keep my mouth shut. I ask that you and everyone else in here forgive me and I will not let it happen agn.

blah dont even worry about. everyone has a bad day once in a while some more than others  :grin: thanks again for the input  :thumbup:

Offlinekilroy
Hightimes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5705408 - 06/02/06 08:37 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

oh and by the way, welcome to the shroomery, wow what a way to get greeted huh(lol) Keep up the study and have patiences, looks like I need alot more practice at it myself. but welcome to our big usally happy family, when people like me are not in bad moods(lol). GL

--------------------

Offlinemidnighttoker
Stranger
    #5705419 - 06/02/06 08:41 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kilroy said:
oh and by the way, welcome to the shroomery, wow what a way to get greeted huh(lol) Keep up the study and have patiences, looks like I need alot more practice at it myself. but welcome to our big usally happy family, when people like me are not in bad moods(lol). GL

thanks a bunch. what i intend on doing is setting up 3 diff grow methods and creating an entire log of it all with pics. going to be doing straight cakes in a PMP, spawning cakes to hpoo in baking trays with plastic liner(i read somewhere myc eats tinfoil trays), and the invitro bag tek. :thumbup:

OfflineSnaggletooth
Male User Gallery

#5705481 - 06/02/06 08:59 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Very cool man, keep us informed. And yeah we all have bad days, no biggie. :grin:

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Offlinekilroy
Hightimes
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: newb jar prep questions, plz help :) [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5705659 - 06/02/06 09:55 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

i read that about the the thing about the tinfiol as well but I think I also seen that some have lined thiers with plasit bads like trash bags to keep that from happening, not sure tho. I do the striaght cakes with the pmp but am looking at casings soon, I have to research it alittle more about the best thing to use. I have no poo yet but that is a thing in the future for me. GL

--------------------

OfflineSnaggletooth
Male User Gallery

#5705682 - 06/02/06 10:02 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I used tinfoil, but just started to use black plastic bags.

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale