Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMushroom_Mike
AGAPE LOVE

Loc: Australia
using 100% peatmoss for casing?
    #5694575 - 05/31/06 11:45 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

any objections to this? ive run out of coir :frown:

--------------------

always remember.... to respect the fungus!:awesomenod::inlove3:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleArrakis
PsilocybinPsycho

Re: using 100% peatmoss for casing? [Re: Mushroom_Mike]
    #5694618 - 05/31/06 12:00 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I say use a peat/verm mixture, but whatever floats your boat. Just make sure that you throw in a bit extra calcium carbonate if you do go 100% peat.

I wouldn't even go with coir anymore if I were you; it colonizes too easily (so it's not a true casing layer) which results in a lot of patching unless you are really anal about everything.

My favorite casing layer now is to buy a bag of Jiffy Mix (which is basically just peat with balanced PH) and use 50/50 Jiffy Mix/Verm. Throw a little calcium carbonate into the "mix" for longer term PH balance, and you're set.

--------------------
Funniest shit I've read in a while:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=886829&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart

"He who controls the spice controls the universe!"

InvisibleMushroom_Mike
AGAPE LOVE

Re: using 100% peatmoss for casing? [Re: Arrakis]
    #5694706 - 05/31/06 12:25 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

i dont have any verm either, all i have is half a bale of peatmoss from another hobby. I guess i will just give it a try, i mean if they dont fruit that well, then ill go with my preferred casing for the following flushes. but i simply dont have any coir at the moment and i need to case jars today because its convenient.

thanks for the advice. anymore is appreciated.
or if anyone has used 100% peatmoss, id like to hear how your results were. the pros and cons. peace.

--------------------

InvisibleMasFina
Snow Shredder
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mountains
Re: using 100% peatmoss for casing? [Re: Arrakis]
    #5694707 - 05/31/06 12:25 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Could you recomend a ratio of materials for this casing mix? I am using verm, peat, and crushed oyster shell flour.

--------------------
A Good Substrate: Poo With Extras
Good Liquid Culture, Step by Step
Timer Modification
PM me if you are interested in buying 140ml syringes. $6 each + $7 shipping

InvisibleMushroom_Mike
AGAPE LOVE

Re: using 100% peatmoss for casing? [Re: MasFina]
    #5694724 - 05/31/06 12:28 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

is there really a major issue with peat that something else absolutely NEEDS to be added? is it that important? :confused:

--------------------

OfflineTheFish
Shakedown Street
Male User Gallery

#5694733 - 05/31/06 12:32 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I would be willing to send you one of my extra bricks of coir if you have some prints you would be willing to send in return.

--------------------
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand,
Says, 'Don't you see?'
Gotta make it somehow on the dreams you still believe.
Don't give it up.
You got an empty cup only love can fill."

Jerry Garcia

InvisibleMushroom_Mike
AGAPE LOVE

Re: using 100% peatmoss for casing? [Re: TheFish]
    #5694793 - 05/31/06 12:46 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

well see, that would be all good, but this needs to be done TODAY.

i was reading the FAQ, and it said peat is acidic and for the best mycelial growth the ph needs to be neutral, so adding the lime should neutralize the ph of the peat. but i dont have any fucking lime handy either..

hopefully the cubes arent too picky and grow healthily like they usually do for me. i know im taking a risk, but HOPEFULLY everything goes well anyway. thanks btw, fish. that would have been awesome of you.

--------------------

OfflineTheFish
Shakedown Street
Male User Gallery

#5694902 - 05/31/06 01:13 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah. I bought quite a few at once from mycosupply since the shipping rate was so high. If you haven't already birthed your cakes, put them in the fridge for a couple of days, and I'd be glad to ship it out 2-3 day with some verm so your progress won't be wasted.

I would just hate to see your casing turn acidic and introduce contams into your grow area.

--------------------
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand,
Says, 'Don't you see?'
Gotta make it somehow on the dreams you still believe.
Don't give it up.
You got an empty cup only love can fill."

Jerry Garcia

InvisibleArrakis
PsilocybinPsycho

Re: using 100% peatmoss for casing? [Re: MasFina]
    #5694917 - 05/31/06 01:18 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I've never used peat that didn't already come pre-PH-balanced; I only have experience with Jiffy Mix (available at Walmart for 3 or 4 bucks) peat which is already balanced with hydrated lime.

Anyways, I just take a quart or so (depending on how high a casing layer I want) of vermiculite and add an equal amount of Jiffy mix.  (About PH: The lime is better for quickly balancing PH, whereas calcium carbonate lasts longer, which is important for the later flushes since the myc makes the casing layer more acidic over time).  That's why I like to add a dash of calcium carbonate to the mixture after moisturizing.  Then I do the 10 minute microwaving, pausing after 5 minutes to stir and putting it back in for another 5 minutes, let it cool for 6 hours (or maybe longer if I'm feeling lazy) and case.

I like to microwave it in a tupperware dish covered with saran wrap so I don't lose any moisture.

I used to use 50/50 Coir/Verm, but I got sick of patching all of the time, and after checking out Roger Rabbit's posts I realized why this was a problem.

I don't like to use straight anything for casing.  I like to go 50/50 with verm and something else.  Verm is great for anything that has to do with shrooms since it holds so much water, but it's a bit difficult to tell how moist it is, so that's the main reason why I always liked to add another ingredient (coir/Jiffy Mix).

I wouldn't want to use straight peat because I don't want to worry about PH levels too much, and I like the casing layer to have lots of places for the myc to poke through so it's very easy to see when colonization is really progressing, and verm is perfect for this job. 

Vermiculite is to shrooms like bread is to me; bread is a must for Italian food, Southern foods (with lots of gravy), soup, breakfast, etc.  It's a staple, just like cheese.  You can't go wrong with bread, cheese, or vermiculite.  :thumbup:

--------------------
Funniest shit I've read in a while:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=886829&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart

"He who controls the spice controls the universe!"

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #5694927 - 05/31/06 01:21 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

It will work perfectly fine. Just make sure you ph balance it and add some oyster shell.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix