Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Sterilized Grain Bag for Spawn, The Best All in One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetrentallica
Lord Trentnar
Male User Gallery

Loc: virgina Flag
horticultural hydrated lime VS. agricultural limestone in 50/50+ tek???
    #5686946 - 05/29/06 03:26 PM (18 years, 19 days ago)

i have read the 50/50+ tek and i have a few jars ready to go in the next couple of days.ive got all my supplies ready to go but there seems to be some controversy as to use horticultural hydrated lime or not. i have both the horticultural hydrated lime , and agricultural limestone in powder form. witch one is better to use and in what amount based on a 15 1/2 cup of verm and peat moss each ???

--------------------
The only ones for me are the mad ones..........
                  :ass2mouth:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: horticultural hydrated lime VS. agricultural limestone in 50/50+ tek??? [Re: trentallica]
    #5687246 - 05/29/06 04:33 PM (18 years, 19 days ago)

The hydrated lime is water soluable so it goes to work right away. If you have powdered limestone, I imagine it would also go to work very soon. Hydrated garden lime is what I've used for many years. I think somebody accidently bought hydrated lime from an industrial supply and got the kind used in cement work which is ten times or more as potent, and it burned up his crop.

For hydrated garden lime, I use 1 teaspoon per cup of peat. Don't count the verm, because it's neutral. Mix the lime with the dry peat before wetting it and mixing with the verm. I also use about ten percent by volume garden gypsum. My latest bag of garden gypsum came from a drywall factory, because I can tell it's crushed sheetrock. It even has little scraps of drywall paper in it, so you can always find gypsum just by buying a sheet of drywall.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinetrentallica
Lord Trentnar
Male User Gallery

Loc: virgina Flag
Re: horticultural hydrated lime VS. agricultural limestone in 50/50+ tek??? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5687306 - 05/29/06 04:47 PM (18 years, 19 days ago)

so your saying stick with the hydrated lime at 1 tsp / cup peat. i have plenty of oyster shell i can use that insted of the gypsum??

--------------------
The only ones for me are the mad ones..........
                  :ass2mouth:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: horticultural hydrated lime VS. agricultural limestone in 50/50+ tek??? [Re: trentallica]
    #5687396 - 05/29/06 05:07 PM (18 years, 19 days ago)

Oyster shell is good too. Use it. Gypsum supplies both calcium and sulphur, which are used in fruitbody production. Most importantly, gypsum has the awesome benefit of moderating swings in ph, so even if you use a bit too much lime, or the mycelium secretes lots of acids, the ph stays very near neutral.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Sterilized Grain Bag for Spawn, The Best All in One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale