Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVandenberg
journeyman
Loc: Australia
Hydroponic Mushrooms
    #568099 - 03/02/02 10:03 PM (22 years, 22 days ago)

Im thinking of experimenting with hydro food and foam to create super long
"cake" life. You just dip the foam (low density) in the mix and then innoculate the foam (havnt worked this bit out) then when the flushes deteriorate you just dip it again!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNighted
Ghost

Loc: Funkytown
Re: Hydroponic Mushrooms [Re: Vandenberg]
    #568263 - 03/03/02 02:42 AM (22 years, 22 days ago)

It won't work.

--------------------

Freedom defined is freedom denied.

Nighted is better than Google. Please take time to rate 5/5. Thanks!

OfflineKindnug
Male
Loc: Midwest, Go Bears
Re: Hydroponic Mushrooms [Re: Nighted]
    #571162 - 03/06/02 01:47 AM (22 years, 19 days ago)

wow, now this is a dumb idea. Just get a Hydrapod, don't be a cheap ass.

OfflineVandenberg
journeyman
Loc: Australia
Re: Hydroponic Mushrooms [Re: Kindnug]
    #571188 - 03/06/02 02:24 AM (22 years, 19 days ago)

Oh thankyou

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Hydroponic Mushrooms [Re: Vandenberg]
    #571411 - 03/06/02 09:27 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

Actually, it's not a bad idea. It's not a very popular idea, cuz so many noobs fill up bandwith with pipe dreams and no progress. Everybody thank thinks about it thinks too much along the hydro weed lines, but this isn't weed, it's fungus. It's nutrient and environmental needs are much different. I recomend you talk to doc charlie (aka dr. charles lindeman) if you can find him. He did a lot of research with floral foam which he was really excited about a while back. He thought it had the potential to not only revolutionize our hobby, but end world hunger too. Back in the Drool Donkey days it seemed as if he would get somewhere before he got popped. Don't know if he ever picked the experiments back up after he got released. So, contact him if you can, or search around the shroomery and the Forest floor to see if you can find any of his old posts. Good luck, but don't expect much help or entusiasm from most members. People would even roll eyes and sigh at the liked and respected dr. BTW, tell him I said howdy if you find him.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
Re: Hydroponic Mushrooms [Re: mycofile]
    #571471 - 03/06/02 10:50 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

I was thinking of experimenting with this awhile ago, but forget. One problem, might be that the second stage, mycelium, has a definite life span. Not sure though.

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: mycofile]
    #571477 - 03/06/02 10:55 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

InvisibleNighted
Ghost

Re: Hydroponic Mushrooms [Re: Anonymous]
    #571492 - 03/06/02 11:15 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

Commercial growers have been trying to do this for years. I've discussed this with commercial growers and professors with doctorates in mycology. Many have laughed it off or deemed it impossible. I will believe it when I see it.

--------------------

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: Nighted]
    #571585 - 03/06/02 01:11 PM (22 years, 18 days ago)

InvisibleNighted
Ghost

#571661 - 03/06/02 02:43 PM (22 years, 18 days ago)

What!? You're going to make me do a search? You could have posted the link...

P.S.
Forgive me for being skeptical, but your previous endeavours only give credence to my argument. C'mon...hydro-pod? Weren't you the one responsible for the "spore spreader" too? Please...

n00b's may fall for your spiel but the rest of us see you for the snake oil salesman that you appear to be. There...I've said it. Now come back and talk the talk when you can walk the walk. I promise, I'll eat my words.

--------------------

Edited by Nighted (03/06/02 04:16 PM)

OfflineAzure
old hand
Loc: California, USA
    #571981 - 03/06/02 10:13 PM (22 years, 18 days ago)

Whatever myco is using, it does produce incredible flushes...He's not bullshitting about giving someone some of the formula and testing it...I remember seeing the pictures.

OfflineKindnug
Male
    #572075 - 03/06/02 11:56 PM (22 years, 18 days ago)

No offense Myco, but this person was talking about synthetic foam as a medium. Organic coco husk is a far different thing that you are talking about. Speaking in ganja terms, it would be like comparing a soil medium to a hydro medium. Your theory is to use Coco-husk as a solid carrier that is innoculated (or spawned) and supplemented with purely water. He is talking of inoculating standing water, in a way; because you could never inoculate a synthetic foam by itself. And even if you got some 1/4" layer of myc growing on it, what good do you think that would do you in terms of fruiting? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I've never heard of mushrooms growing in standing water. Much less in moving water like a hydroponic system. And to redip it in (un-sterile probably) juice every once in a while? You are much better off getting a pod and this new substrate Myco is talking about. From other responses it sounds like this idea has already been tried unsucessfully by people who know what they are doing. I can testify to the pods and I have seen all of the coconut substrate pics, everything Myco says about it is very true. Can't wait to get my hands on some myself!!!!

OfflineKindnug
Male
    #572100 - 03/07/02 12:15 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

eat your words Nighted, the pods work. And work better than whatever you are using I'm sure, because otherwise you would have info to back up your argument. Or can you really call it that? More like aggressive statements from a man with way too much time on his hands. Oh yeah, next time you might want to say why you don't like something; you know they call them reasons: don't just keep acting like a prick your whole life. Snake oil huh? If Myco said it was good for the pod, I'd buy it!!!!! I'm not afraid to try new ideas, even if they cost some money to try. With a warranty like the Hydrapod, you can't lose.

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: Kindnug]
    #572136 - 03/07/02 12:56 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

OfflineKindnug
Male
    #572168 - 03/07/02 01:24 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

Wow, that is quite impressive. If I can get enough jars of that stuff for 3 pods, I will be in heaven!!! Much different than what my stuff looked like, which is probably why I am of course having problems! Oh well, it's fun anyway. I have a bunch of grain jars I am incubating, about 5 different strains total with 2-3 each. How would I go about picking the best strain (inoculated with multi-spore syringe) between the 2 jars of each strain? I'm thinking I should attempt this if I have to spawn those jars you are hooking me up with myself. Is there a way, something to look for to pick between the jars? Sorry if that quote pissed you off before, I was simply trying to point out that you have nutrients on (or bonded, in a loose sense of the word) the cake itself, there is no transfer of nutrients from the water supply. Hell, I don't know. If you can say that using a organic material like coco husk (who cares if its nuetral like foam, there are many things in nature with nuetral p.h.) is similar to foam, then I guess it should in theory also be possible to chop or grind up a bunch of foam to the same texture as coco husk and supplement it with the same 5% nutrients as you are using with positive results. But I just don't see that happening. I might be wrong though, and I'd love to be proven wrong here (about spawning or inoculating foam) That was really all I was trying to point out to whoever started this post who we haven't heard from in a while.

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: Anonymous]
    #572172 - 03/07/02 01:27 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

OfflineZorba
journeyman

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
    #572183 - 03/07/02 01:40 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

That does look pretty nice Myco. I would be more impressed if you did a couple jars using geolite pebbles though. Mind you, I don't know if they would hold enough moisture, but it would be a good experiment that looks a little more "hydroponic" for all the naysayers. Why not give it a shot.

Cheers

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: Kindnug]
    #572187 - 03/07/02 01:47 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #572363 - 03/07/02 09:51 AM (22 years, 17 days ago)

mycoteck, as interesting as your subject may be, it has nothing to do with hydroponic mushrooms. Coco husks can be considered by definition to be a soil. I know, I wouldn't have thought so at first, but just look up hydroponic and soil in a dictionary. Still somewhat interesting stuff, but I guess you'll be selling it without publishing a formula, huh? If so, then it's pretty worthless to the vast majority of people here who are in a forum for experimenting, not reading adverts and corporate public relations press releases. Hopefully I'm wrong and you will post a recipe. If so, accept my apology in advance.

Anyway, a couple of things. Shrooms do and can grow from a nutrient solution. Even under water. Some pics were posted here a while back where it happened by accident. Fruits were straight up growing under water. Another thing, don't discount entirely the foam, nutrient solution idea. It has potential, it will just take some working on. From the little playing with it that I did, I found floral foam to be very contam resistant regardless of how contam prone you may think the liquid solution would be. Things like trich would show up, and look like they were going to spread, then they would just die and go away! If anybody finds doc dharlie, I'm sure he'll elaborate as he did way more testing than I did. Anyway, that's all for now.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineKindnug
Male
Re: Hydroponic Mushrooms [Re: mycofile]
    #572392 - 03/07/02 10:35 AM (22 years, 17 days ago)

both Myco sevice and mycofile, I stand corrected. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that mushrooms could grow in water, much less on a synthetic foam!!! Ever since I first got my pod I have been thinking about nutrients in the water, glad to hear that you have been working on that!!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order