Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Body mods
    #558017 - 02/20/02 11:22 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

http://cbc.ca/stories/2002/02/18/Consumers/modifiedmouthwash_020218

This is a little weird...

Jeffrey Hillman of the University of Florida says he has genetically altered the bacterium, called Streptococcus mutans, into a form which does not produce lactic acid and therefore does not cause tooth decay.

Hillman's team claims the spray mouthwash lasts a lifetime. For less than $200, it would be squirted in the mouth in a one-time, five-minute treatment.

Experiments on animals have shown the modified bacterium took the place of the bad bacterium once it was in the mouth.

The GM bacterium did not cause tooth decay even when rats were fed a high-sugar diet.

I don't know, I'd feel kind of weird about permanently changing the bacteria in my mouth with a $200 spray... Other than that it sounds good.

Things like this could have very drastic, unforseen effects farther down the road. This is what the sci-fi stories are all about, that wonder product, that simple improvement that throws things off course.

New things. Is paranoia justifiable? Hindsight is always 20/20.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
Re: Body mods [Re: Ulysees]
    #558284 - 02/21/02 08:11 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Paranoia is justified

Big brother is watching

Contrary to popular reports I am not an alien

I don't want to be a guinea pig

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #558357 - 02/21/02 09:32 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I always thought it was kind of annoying that teeth rotted and became painfull, doesn't seem like very good design. I wouldn't get that treatment thing though, my teeth are in pretty good condition at the moment anyway so there wouldnt be much point. Maybe later on, I dunno.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #558838 - 02/21/02 06:14 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I'd get that shit!!
They must have modified it to kill the other S. mutans strain.
Not really a body mod, just a parasite mod.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: Body mods [Re: Sclorch]
    #558944 - 02/21/02 08:08 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

It always starts out small. This is only the beginning of the concentric waves that are yet to come, whether they are good or bad I don't know. I'm not afraid of change but at the same time I'd like to know where it's leading.

By the way, this is indeed a body mod.

--------------------

Edited by Ulysees (02/21/02 08:10 PM)

InvisibleLallafa
p_g monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: underbelly
    #559080 - 02/21/02 10:30 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

where do i sign up?

--------------------
my tax dollars going to more hits of acid for charles manson

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: Body mods [Re: Lallafa]
    #559101 - 02/21/02 10:52 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Apparently it will be a common thing soon, at least that's the impression I got.
Don't get me wrong, I don't really think this is a bad thing, it's actually pretty interesting and sounds great. It's just that the range of possibilities is so wide with this kind of technology... There will most certainly be unexpected reprecussions, I just want to be able to say that they weren't unforseen to me:wink: 

--------------------

Offlineketamatic
poolshark
Loc: Ohio, USA
    #559385 - 02/22/02 06:55 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Hopefully it doesn't modify any of the good bacteria in your body, like if it got into your GI tract and mutated some of those vitamin producing ones... but wtf, that's why multivitamins exist...

--------------------
"Tyin' off the dinosaur tonight used to be so cool, but now I've got the needle, and I can't shake, but I can't breathe, you take it away, but I want more and more, one day I'm gonna loose the war..."
--Bradley Nowell

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: Body mods [Re: ketamatic]
    #559660 - 02/22/02 12:20 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

You never know what kind of fucked up shit might happen... maybe the bacteria would grow to like 10 x the normal size and become super intelligent and turn evil. Could happen.

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Body mods [Re: Revelation]
    #563740 - 02/26/02 11:42 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I don't consider parasites part of ME. They live within the host, which just happens to be my body.
Beware the slippery slope, where "what if"s are magically distorted into "will be"s.

--------------------

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#563950 - 02/26/02 03:53 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

First, it's not parasitic, it's bacteria.

Second, if you consider your body useful in any way, then that bacteria, like all the other bacteria and whatnot that makes up your body, is you.

--------------------

InvisiblePGF
square

Loc: Malaysia
    #564613 - 02/27/02 07:59 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think we should go fucking with bacteria like that. It may mutate into somethingfreaky. The decaying bacterum may reform ten times stronger after ten years. No one really knows.

That said, I'd buy that shit. $200 is cheap if it lasts a lifetime too. I bet the ADA shuts it down though. Think of all the business dentists would lose. It'll never make it to market. But, I kinda wish it would. Getting holes drilled in teefeses sucks.

--------------------
***The Real Shroomery nigger

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: Body mods [Re: PGF]
    #565003 - 02/27/02 05:23 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Yo, God built this body, and I'll be damned if I let humans change its form or function. :wink:

What about those implications? Gods work is no longer sufficient.

Not that I believe in the creationism theory or anything, but I'd like to be able to. (It's a fairly pleasant theory.) 

--------------------

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Body mods [Re: PGF]
    #567554 - 03/02/02 06:15 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Thats what came to mind... Like that mathematitian said on jurrasic park, "nature finds a way" The "bad bacteria" in our mouths which befall harm to our teeth won't just die off, they'll evolve.. that would not be good at all =(.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Body mods [Re: Jared]
    #568711 - 03/03/02 02:51 PM (22 years, 30 days ago)

This is just bullshit.
A microorganism that gets something from its host and hurts its host in the process is not a commensalist or "good bacteria". Sure, S. mutans is a bacteria, but bacteria can very much act like parasites.

Second:
If mutation hasn't created some crazy HUMAN-EATING monster out of the normal microflora in our mouths, then I don't see how a genetically altered (no genes added, just removed mind you) S. mutans is GOING TO KILL US ALL!!!!!
We wouldn't be killing them with antibiotics which could build up resistance, we would just be providing a competitor that will thrive better (and in the process won't hurt our teeth).

Enough of the pseudoscience kids.

--------------------

OfflineUnknown
Confused,dizzy,wheream I again?
Loc: MA
    #568942 - 03/03/02 06:48 PM (22 years, 30 days ago)

Some people are really ignorant,and generally dumb.Science altered nature,science bad,BURN THE WITCH.Become a christian scientist if your so averse to science.And deny all medical assistance on your deathbed,most things undergo a reasonable amount of testing to ensure safety before they're unleashed on the world.Sometimes problems develop,but these were not forseeable,otherwise we'd have to wait 50 years for testing on a new pain medication,to ensure all problems were impossible. Thats so impractical as to be laughable.

--------------------
The above is just like,my opinion man

Edited by Unknown (03/03/02 06:59 PM)

Offlineiangato
enthusiast
Loc: maine, USAma
Re: Body mods [Re: Unknown]
    #569179 - 03/04/02 12:20 AM (22 years, 30 days ago)

have you seem any of this " reasonable amount of testing " " reasonable " is an opinion word anyway. what is reasonable to you may be insane to me of vica verca. adios. peace.

--------------------
a blurry dot dances among the shadows
bends the light
and fizzles into my pink and glowing mind

-ian gato

OfflineDivine_Madness

Loc: The Netherlands
    #569759 - 03/04/02 04:01 PM (22 years, 29 days ago)

Their have been enough products brought into the mainstream which later proved to be very very harmfull to humans. Before genetic manipulation became possible!

One simple, relativly possible doomscenario I can come up with: The bacteria mix with other bactrias in your body, and these also become somehow infected with the engeniring. Who know what the effects would be on the rest of your body.

A nice, and compareble excample of already gone wrong genetic manipulations (but on a different field) is that of highly imune soja beans or something. Just some time ago, I read in some newspaper, the seeds or something mixed with wild sorts, and so it spreads through nature.

Of course, you dont hear anything of it anymore. Bad propaganda for the manipulators!
If its really a thread, will hear of it again when it is in undeniable fucked up stages, after some years.

--------------------
its all placebo

Edited by Divine_Madness (03/04/02 04:04 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds