Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesa_mull
Seeker ofKnowledge
Male User Gallery

Loc: IO
Flushing and dunking definitions * 1
    #5671862 - 05/25/06 08:19 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I've been reading my arse off here and only came across mentions of people flushing, but found nothings on when or exactly how to procede with it. so from what I've strung together, please tell me if this is right, and anything else u may add.

Flushing is the stage that u pick ur crop of mushies, and this can be donea few time from the same cake. is there anything that should be done before a second flush? maybe dunking?

Dunking is used to to re-moisterize your cake in between the transition form the incubation tank to the fruiting chamber? and after flushing?

is this correct or what else do i need to know? Also is it ok to try these for a first time grower?

thanx for your help guys.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepsillyrabit
President

Re: Flushing and dunking definitions [Re: sa_mull] * 1
    #5671924 - 05/25/06 08:47 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

You got it.. just add about 1/10 h202 to water just for good measure.. good luck.

Offlinehfactor
Enthusiast
 User Gallery
Re: Flushing and dunking definitions [Re: psillyrabit] * 1
    #5672037 - 05/25/06 09:27 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

You're right. All that flushing is is picking the mushies. As soon as their caps open up that menas the veil is going to break or has broken. Once they do that pick them up, otherwise they drop their spores and turn black, which isnt a bad thing but some people just dont like eating black shrooms. Once you pick them, clear all the pins off the casing/cake with sterile hands. Dont worry about taking those pins off, if you have got a full flush those pins arnt going to go anywhere. I usually get about 25-40% of my pins to goto full maturity, the rest just sit there because their nutrients got cut off by another mushie. Then proceed to dunk it in water for about 12 hours, add ΒΌ cup of peroxide or h202. I put mine in the fridge while it is dunking this way I have less chance of contams, but some people say you will get a less even pinset if you put it in the fridge. So if you dont think contams will be a problem go ahead and dunk it outside of your fridge.

Edited by hfactor (05/25/06 09:30 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Flushing and dunking definitions [Re: hfactor] * 1
    #5672060 - 05/25/06 09:43 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

hfactor said:
All that flushing is is picking the mushies. Once you pick them, clear all the pins off the casing/cake with sterile hands. Dont worry about taking those pins off, if you have got a full flush those pins arnt going to go anywhere. I usually get about 25-40% of my pins to goto full maturity, the rest just sit there because their nutrients got cut off by another mushie.

Wrong.

A flush is a 'crop' of mushrooms. Mycelium tends to send up fruits in groups, then a brief resting period, then another flush occurs. Flush has nothing to do with picking.

quote:
"Once you pick them, clear all the pins off the casing/cake with sterile hands. Dont worry about taking those pins off, if you have got a full flush those pins arnt going to go anywhere."

If you follow that incorrect advice, all you will do is ruin your project. Mycelium generally sets all the primordia/pins for the first three flushes at the time of the first flush. You'll notice that only about a third or so of the pins grow to maturity. There will be a few aborts that the heads turn black on, but the rest of the pins will be fine and just sitting there dormant. IF YOU PICK THOSE PINS, YOU RUIN YOUR SECOND AND THIRD FLUSH! Pick the mature fruits and any obvious aborts, but leave the rest.

Dunking is an excellent way to re-hydrate your substrate between flushes. You can dunk large trays or tubs by placing in the sink or bathtub and allowing the faucet to fill the tub so the water runs over the side and down the sink drain. Dunk your bulk projects like this for two or three hours maximum. It doesn't take overnight to dunk a bulk grow the way it does for tightly packed brf cakes. The running water will prevent bacteria buildup during the dunk. Cakes can be dunked right in the jar they grew in by filling it up with water and placing in the refrigerator overnight with the lid on the jar.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinehfactor
Enthusiast
 User Gallery
Re: Flushing and dunking definitions [Re: RogerRabbit] * 1
    #5672086 - 05/25/06 09:57 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I guess I should of said my advice was for casings, I dont deal with BRF cakes sorry for the wrong info. Also I was under the assumption that if those pins dont grow they are aborts and a new pin set comes in with the 2nd and 3rd flushes, but maybe its different on BRF cakes.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edited by hfactor (05/25/06 10:01 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5672253 - 05/25/06 10:49 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

My advice was for cased substrate as well. Cakes are no differnt from bulk grows, only smaller. Never pick pins/primordia between flushes. If so, you ruin the next flush. Aborts will have black heads and be obviously dead. If the pins have normal color heads, they're just sitting dormant waiting their turn at the nutrients the substrate has to offer. Sorry to be gruff about it, but folks read these boards and act upon what they read. Bad advice can cause someone to destroy their perfectly good grow.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
    #8070395 - 02/25/08 09:58 PM (16 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

hfactor said:
All that flushing is is picking the mushies.  Once you pick them, clear all the pins off the casing/cake with sterile hands.  Dont worry about taking those pins off, if you have got a full flush those pins arnt going to go anywhere.  I usually get about 25-40% of my pins to goto full maturity, the rest just sit there because their nutrients got cut off by another mushie.

Wrong.

A flush is a 'crop' of mushrooms.  Mycelium tends to send up fruits in groups, then a brief resting period, then another flush occurs.  Flush has nothing to do with picking.

quote:
"Once you pick them, clear all the pins off the casing/cake with sterile hands.  Dont worry about taking those pins off, if you have got a full flush those pins arnt going to go anywhere."

If you follow that incorrect advice, all you will do is ruin your project.  Mycelium generally sets all the primordia/pins for the first three flushes at the time of the first flush.  You'll notice that only about a third or so of the pins grow to maturity.  There will be a few aborts that the heads turn black on, but the rest of the pins will be fine and just sitting there dormant.  IF YOU PICK THOSE PINS, YOU RUIN YOUR SECOND AND THIRD FLUSH!  Pick the mature fruits and any obvious aborts, but leave the rest.

Dunking is an excellent way to re-hydrate your substrate between flushes.  You can dunk large trays or tubs by placing in the sink or bathtub and allowing the faucet to fill the tub so the water runs over the side and down the sink drain.  Dunk your bulk projects like this for two or three hours maximum.  It doesn't take overnight to dunk a bulk grow the way it does for tightly packed brf cakes.  The running water will prevent bacteria buildup during the dunk.  Cakes can be dunked right in the jar they grew in by filling it up with water and placing in the refrigerator overnight with the lid on the jar.
RR

~THIS is the info I've been searching for for the last 40 minutes.  The search feature pays off.  RUNNING water in the pan of substrate...YES! ~Pixie~
:royalrainbow:

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

OfflineJohnsonville
Stranger
    #12942105 - 07/23/10 05:11 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

hfactor said:
All that flushing is is picking the mushies.  Once you pick them, clear all the pins off the casing/cake with sterile hands.  Dont worry about taking those pins off, if you have got a full flush those pins arnt going to go anywhere.  I usually get about 25-40% of my pins to goto full maturity, the rest just sit there because their nutrients got cut off by another mushie.

Wrong.

A flush is a 'crop' of mushrooms.  Mycelium tends to send up fruits in groups, then a brief resting period, then another flush occurs.  Flush has nothing to do with picking.

quote:
"Once you pick them, clear all the pins off the casing/cake with sterile hands.  Dont worry about taking those pins off, if you have got a full flush those pins arnt going to go anywhere."

If you follow that incorrect advice, all you will do is ruin your project.  Mycelium generally sets all the primordia/pins for the first three flushes at the time of the first flush.  You'll notice that only about a third or so of the pins grow to maturity.  There will be a few aborts that the heads turn black on, but the rest of the pins will be fine and just sitting there dormant.  IF YOU PICK THOSE PINS, YOU RUIN YOUR SECOND AND THIRD FLUSH!  Pick the mature fruits and any obvious aborts, but leave the rest.

Dunking is an excellent way to re-hydrate your substrate between flushes.  You can dunk large trays or tubs by placing in the sink or bathtub and allowing the faucet to fill the tub so the water runs over the side and down the sink drain.  Dunk your bulk projects like this for two or three hours maximum.  It doesn't take overnight to dunk a bulk grow the way it does for tightly packed brf cakes.  The running water will prevent bacteria buildup during the dunk.  Cakes can be dunked right in the jar they grew in by filling it up with water and placing in the refrigerator overnight with the lid on the jar.
RR

Ok, so all i have to do is put the cakes back in their jar and fill the jar with water and put it in the fridge overnight?  After that just put them back in the aquarium?

OfflineMango12
Reading and learning!

#12942157 - 07/23/10 05:20 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Is it ok to dunk with some premature mushrooms still on the cake after you have picked the muture ones and aborts? or should u wait till they mature aswell?

OfflineJohnsonville
Stranger
Re: Flushing and dunking definitions [Re: Mango12] * 1
    #12942273 - 07/23/10 05:41 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I am kinda confused about that as well.  this is my first grow.  i didn't get best results, but probably incubated too long.  Hoping for better after the dunk.  My veils broke today for the most part, and i don't really even see any little pins.

OfflineMango12
Reading and learning!

Re: Flushing and dunking definitions [Re: Johnsonville] * 1
    #12942288 - 07/23/10 05:45 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Johnsonville said:
Yeah, I am kinda confused about that as well.  this is my first grow.  i didn't get best results, but probably incubated too long.  Hoping for better after the dunk.  My veils broke today for the most part, and i don't really even see any little pins.

Confused about what? the original posters question or what i asked?

Offlinematter0ni
 User Gallery

Loc: Southeast Flag
Re: Flushing and dunking definitions [Re: Mango12] * 1
    #12942406 - 07/23/10 06:19 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Ok, so all i have to do is put the cakes back in their jar and fill the jar with water and put it in the fridge overnight?  After that just put them back in the aquarium?

Get a pot, or some container large enough to hold what you want to dunk. I generally dunk about 4 cakes at a time, so I use a pot. Just fill it up with water and put the cakes in there. They are buoyant like corks, so place something on them to weigh them down and get them submerged, like a dinner plate or something. Personally I use a couple of wet rags folded neatly when I can't find anything better.

Watch RR's videos, he explains it all, and it will save you a lot of time.

Edit: I assume you are growing cubes (psilocybe cubensis) -- when you dunk cube cakes, you don't need to put them in the fridge. There are some scenarios when you might want to but generally the consensus is that cubes are a tropical species and don't benefit from 'cold shocking' -- that is tricking the mycelium to think it's the cold time of the year, which triggers pinning for other various species of mushroom (but not cubes). All it would do for cubes is give it a cold environment where contaminants don't have much of a chance of doing anything. Also, fridges are nasty places. Years of gunk and buildup and god knows what in there.

--------------------

Edited by matter0ni (07/23/10 06:23 PM)

Invisibleambargh
 User Gallery

Re: Flushing and dunking definitions [Re: matter0ni] * 1
    #12942748 - 07/23/10 07:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

With monotubs, I like to put mine outside during a nice rain. They seem to LOVE it.  But by the time they need a good soak, they're usually past the second flush so I usually leave them outside and keep the lids on. Enough sunlight shines through the holes along with all that fresh air and they'll go another flush.  :smirk:

--------------------
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.." - Douglas Adams

ambargh's easy agar

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Flushing and dunking definitions [Re: ambargh] * 1
    #12942792 - 07/23/10 07:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

If it's extremely hot in your house during the summer months, dunk in the refrigerator.  Otherwise it's not necessary.  The only reason is to prevent bacteria bloom in the water.

You can dunk cakes with pins.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineElusiveCultivator
Government Slave
Loc: The great Ga! Flag
    #12944272 - 07/24/10 04:18 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you everyone for your post. I am starting my first grow and have been looking for this information for some time! Is there a particular water to use if my tap water is a bit hard or would that matter at all?

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
Re: Flushing and dunking definitions [Re: ElusiveCultivator] * 1
    #12944556 - 07/24/10 08:38 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ElusiveCultivator said:
Thank you everyone for your post. I am starting my first grow and have been looking for this information for some time! Is there a particular water to use if my tap water is a bit hard or would that matter at all?

Your water should be fine.  Unless your water isn't drinkable you shouldn't need to worry about it. ~P~

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

OfflineElusiveCultivator
Government Slave
Loc: The great Ga! Flag
Re: Flushing and dunking definitions [Re: Psuper] * 1
    #12946419 - 07/24/10 04:12 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Drinkable....sure I guess if your into that lol. Would distilled water work? I don't wanna risk it. I don't drink this stuff unless I am dieing lol.

Invisibledodson

Loc: America Flag
Re: Flushing and dunking definitions *DELETED* [Re: RogerRabbit] * 1
    #19252071 - 12/09/13 07:29 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by dodson

Reason for deletion: b

OfflineOgreLokon
Pretty Fun Guy
Male

Re: Flushing and dunking definitions [Re: dodson] * 1
    #19252136 - 12/09/13 07:45 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

dodson said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
My advice was for cased substrate as well.  Cakes are no different from bulk grows, only smaller.  Never pick pins/primordia between flushes.  If so, you ruin the next flush.  Aborts will have black heads and be obviously dead.  If the pins have normal color heads, they're just sitting dormant waiting their turn at the nutrients the substrate has to offer.  Sorry to be gruff about it, but folks read these boards and act upon what they read.  Bad advice can cause someone to destroy their perfectly good grow.
RR

Sooo If I picked off my pins what I was thinking were aborts, after my first flush. what should I do? does that mean they are now dead cakes?

No, they aren't "dead cakes", but your remaining flush(es) won't be as good as they could've been.

Offlineturolordender595
Beginner Grower
Male

#21196777 - 01/29/15 01:28 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I'm a beginner grower of mushrooms and i want to think you for your advice. i just got my first flush today and was really happy to read your advice before i picked them.

Thank you RogerRabbit

--------------------
To Grow, is peace of mind in that what you made came from nature and was nurtured by ones own hand.

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Flushing and dunking definitions [Re: turolordender595]
    #21196794 - 01/29/15 01:32 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Welcome to shroomery but please dont bump old threads

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflinePeezyg167
Stranger
Re: Flushing and dunking definitions [Re: sa_mull]
    #23963706 - 12/28/16 07:44 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks RR! I've been doing this for awhile, and still do a lot of reading. That was the best response for aborts! Before anybody says this thread is old; cool, I know.

OfflineKenetic
Nam Sayin
 User Gallery

Loc: I don't believe in land Flag
Re: Flushing and dunking definitions [Re: cronicr]
    #23963717 - 12/28/16 07:48 PM (7 years, 2 months ago)

:rofl:

Quote:

cronicr said:
Welcome to shroomery but please dont bump old threads

(for no reason)

--------------------
Todo Cambia

:cookiemonster::elmo:

DMT said: Everyone know's me, they just don't know it yet

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder