Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
HOW to HARVEST??? from casing....
    #566747 - 03/01/02 12:23 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

First of all, I want to thank all of you for the infinite wisdom. My friend has been doing this for less than a month, and now he has a nice crop of psychodudes growing on his casing, although being the first time, the pinset is uneven, but heck, who cares for now.
So now to my rather dum question. As I said, my friend is a newbie and he doesn't know HOW to harvest because most techs take it for granted. Do you sterilize a blade and cut the stalk near the surface? He tried that for a couple and is worried the remaining base will rot and contaminate. So do you pull them off? He also tried this and noticed that you pull out a significant chunk of the casing layer. Perhaps filling that hole with new damp verm?
BTW, if anyone does casings with the PF strain, do it with straight verm. I've read postings that say the PF strain doesn't do well in casings, and indeed my friend has gotten many aborts and some really weird looking dudes (wish he had a camera) but he's still getting a first flush of about 30 that have an average height of 5-6 inches. From one 3 cake casing. I'm sure there's better strains and teks, but this one has made my friend the hero of all his closest friends, so he's pretty happy.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: HOW to HARVEST??? from casing.... [Re: TrippinCastro]
    #566752 - 03/01/02 12:28 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Nice to hear you got some fungal buddies on yer first try.

My method of picking is to twist em till they are only connected by 1 strand of mycellium or completly come off.

Just yanking them out can leave some craters. Patch over any parts of the casing that came up on the shroom base.

This is the only time I really feel alive.

User Gallery

Re: HOW to HARVEST??? from casing.... [Re: TrippinCastro]
    #566862 - 03/01/02 02:01 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, just grab the base of the shroom, twist, and pull gently, trying to take the least amount of casing layer there is with the shroom.

Patch with damp verm or your desired casing. :wink:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation