Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineiangato
enthusiast
Loc: maine, USAma
Q about substrate storing
    #566365 - 03/01/02 12:14 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

does anyone have any ideas on how long well sterilized substrate last in jars? i know that moisture and air exchange are variables but on average, how long can they stay usable while in limbo. thanks for your help. adios. peace.

--------------------
a blurry dot dances among the shadows
bends the light
and fizzles into my pink and glowing mind

-ian gato

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineiangato
enthusiast
Re: Q about substrate storing [Re: iangato]
    #567020 - 03/01/02 04:58 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

any suggestions or words of wisdom?

--------------------
bends the light

-ian gato

OfflineUnder_net
enthusiast
Loc: kentucky
    #567212 - 03/01/02 09:29 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

well, when I sterilize my jars they have tape over the holes. So long as your holes are sealed up and the jar lid is tight I would imagine they would be ok for a matter of months. I have heard of a lot of people letting jats sit a month to see if they have contams in them anyways.
That way if they turn green or some other color, you have a pretty idea they are no good. I have been putting together 24 to 36 jars every 3 weeks. It keeps things on schedule well.

Offlineiangato
enthusiast
Re: Q about substrate storing [Re: Under_net]
    #567503 - 03/02/02 04:25 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

thanks for your insight. it's greatly appreciated. adios. peace.

--------------------
bends the light

-ian gato

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
    #567573 - 03/02/02 09:59 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i personally wouldn't innoc. jars. left to sit mixed, fully sterilized, and ready to go after they had been sitting over a few days. 6 days tops, that is not to say that the substrate is not still viable with enough nutrients and moisture to support the mycelium network, i just personally wouldn't let my STERILIZED jars sit longer than that. but then a great deal of variables come into play. for instance, what size jars are you using, what type of substrate, what conditions are they remaining stagnant, so to say, in(cool temps which slow the breeding process of many contams, or room temp in an open environment with drafts.
i have to admit, i have prepared jars, sterilized (in groups because my pressure cooker only holds 5 - 1/2 pts at a time (i know, time to upgrade and investin a larger pc...[i've been snooping around e-bay lately], but this one was given free, an old school sucka, no psi gauge or anything, just a "jiggler" and a small red "button" which pops UP when the contents inside are under pressure and falls back DOWN when it is safe to unlock and open, but it works.) um i forgot what the f!@# i was even talking about!!... oh yeah! (forgive me its late )

...substrate...anyways...i have sterilized my jars and went to bed and the next day didn't feel like fuckin with them, and the next day you intend to get to them and something comes up (especially when you are a mom of three, all under the age of 6, shit just has a way of "popping up on you!) and the next day you don't get to them either.

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation