Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Copyright Issues
    #5657084 - 05/21/06 04:40 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Obviously, we are all familiar with the mp3 sharing situation, but a new recent event has underscored this issue in an entirely different manner.

I, of course, am a guitarist, and I use a program called Guitar Pro, which acts as a tablature interface for MIDI programming. There is an accompanying community, www.mysongbook.com, which allows users to submit their files to share with others.

They have just restricted downloading of all files that are not original compositions, as the Music Publisher's Association has threatened legal action.
Quote:

In December, the MPA Board decided to take action against web sites that post unauthorized sheet music and tablature versions of our members' copyrighted works. We are doing this to protect the interests of the creators and publishers of music so that, the profession of songwriting remains viable and that new and exciting music will be continued to be created and enjoyed for generations to come.

:rolleyes: No one is profiting off of the sharing of these interpretations of songs, which are shared within a community of aspiring musicians in order to benefit the education and development of these musicians.

Copyright law allows for "fair use". Is education not "fair use"? They are simply trying to squeeze profit from an area that they will not be able to. Most of the tabs that are shared are of artists and songs that are not well-known enough for a corporation to profit from offering tablature, and tablature isn't even worth $1 a song - half the time it is inaccurate.

What do ya'll think? The artistic community gains by allowing the development and growth of the thousands and thousands of individuals worldwide who participate in this, from those who can gain access to songs to learn to play, to those who develop compositional skills by attempting to create tabs, to those who learn the songs to jam with a band and practice.

Copyright law in general is pretty fucked up, and Hal Leonard can fuck off. :lol:

:earth: :sun: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Copyright Issues [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5657115 - 05/21/06 04:47 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

People need to stand up and make a stand. Join the EFF http://www.eff.org/ if you value your rights on the net. Information should be free. The best immediate course is civil disobediance. Download all the illegal shit you want and fuck RIAA, MPA, and MPIAA! These organizations are twisting the law to deny fair use.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#5657120 - 05/21/06 04:48 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The Fair Use; Library Reproduction; and Exemption of Certain Performances and Displays Sections of the Law

§107. Limitations on Exclusive Rights: Fair Use

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:

The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
The nature of the copyrighted work;
The amount and substantially of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
The effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
    #5657130 - 05/21/06 04:50 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

so that, the profession of songwriting remains viable and that new and exciting music will be continued to be created and enjoyed for generations to come
???????I don't see the logic.

Copyright laws gone mad recently. If you perform off a photocopy in public, EVEN if you own the original, you can get fined big bucks. Like £100s, even £1000s. Its obscene. Unless you also have the original (which you must own) IN THE SAME ROOM when you are playing off a photocopied part, if they catch you they'll nail you. A choir in th UK got fined something mental like £20,000 for using photocopies cos their books were too haevy to hold for whole concert, and the director lost his job/post. They'd bought all the books and everything, just didnt use them in concert.  :stars:

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #5657177 - 05/21/06 05:03 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Considering most of the BIG COMPANIES own the big bands and their song rights, this part:
Quote:

We are doing this to protect the interests of the creators and publishers of music so that, the profession of songwriting remains viable and that new and exciting music will be continued to be created and enjoyed for generations to come.

The key to this is "viable" in the context of harvesting and marketing....
It is all political money music bullshit....

New an exciting music will ALWAYS continue to be created and enjoyed for as long as there is human life....

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
    #5657221 - 05/21/06 05:14 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

In the words of a great composer, artist and performer:

"The poodle bites, the poodle chews it."  :eek:

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Copyright Issues [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #5657253 - 05/21/06 05:20 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I emailed the EFF about this issue, and maybe they will become involved in the cause? :grin:

Musicians themselves are not going to give a shit if their fans are listening to their songs in order to learn how to play them, and to show others how to do so. The behavior encourages the growth of the musical community itself, and the fan base of the musicians whose music is being used to educate and develop these aspiring musicians.

Offering one's personal interpretation of a work as an educational oppurtunity has got to be fair use. The music itself is not being performed for any profit, the sound format that the program uses to play the composition is not even of any preferential quality.

It is bullshit, plain and simple. I propose that such a thing in such a form is an idea, and is not even subject to copyright law. Fuck them! :mad:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Copyright Issues [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #5657306 - 05/21/06 05:31 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LunarEclipse said:
In the words of a great composer, artist and performer:

"The poodle bites, the poodle chews it."  :eek:

He was quite an avocate of individual rights too. A great guy. I met him when I worked for ticketmaster.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Copyright Issues [Re: Icelander]
    #5657321 - 05/21/06 05:34 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Yes...he taught why I should not eat yellow snow.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Copyright Issues [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #5657338 - 05/21/06 05:39 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Out there where the huskies go?

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Copyright Issues [Re: Icelander]
    #5657660 - 05/21/06 07:24 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

That very same.

--------------------

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Copyright Issues [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #5659242 - 05/22/06 05:33 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

money makes laws
laws make money
repeat

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #5659474 - 05/22/06 09:08 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

That's fucked up man. It's all about the money and the power: greed!

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale