Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetrentallica
Lord Trentnar
Male User Gallery

Loc: virgina Flag
what is the Ph concerns of straw/manure casting??
    #5654864 - 05/20/06 10:56 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

is there a Ph issue when mixing a straw/ manure mix for casting? i read it in connection with the 50/50+ tek but not with this one. why??

--------------------
The only ones for me are the mad ones..........
                  :ass2mouth:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLegalize247
Magnifico

Loc: USA SoMeWheRe
Re: what is the Ph concerns of straw/manure casting?? [Re: trentallica]
    #5654897 - 05/20/06 11:11 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

when you pasturize throw lime in the heated water. Make sure the lime is low in magnesium so it doesnt hurt your pinning. Mushrooms will not pin if the magnesium is above 8% or something. You can use the lime High yield i think its called. Ryche hawk mentions it in his 50/50+ tek.

--------------------
Legalize the FUNGI-USA...I have no more to say.

Offlinetrentallica
Lord Trentnar
Male User Gallery

Re: what is the Ph concerns of straw/manure casting?? [Re: Legalize247]
    #5654927 - 05/20/06 11:20 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Legalize247 said:
when you pasturize throw lime in the heated water. Make sure the lime is low in magnesium so it doesnt hurt your pinning. Mushrooms will not pin if the magnesium is above 8% or something. You can use the lime High yield i think its called. Ryche hawk mentions it in his 50/50+ tek.

i just looked at my lime , and my mag. level is 0.45%. i was thinking of useing the oven bag tek. would i use the same lime to casting mix ratio useing weight %??

--------------------

OfflineLegalize247
Magnifico

#5654972 - 05/20/06 11:40 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

When you heat the water to pasturize add some a spoon fulls of lime to the water and mix it up. Use high-yield lime that ryche hawk uses in his 50/50+ tek.

--------------------

OfflineLegalize247
Magnifico

#5654977 - 05/20/06 11:42 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I'd use half the ratio that ryche hawk uses. Your lime is perfect. Low magnesium equals high yield.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: what is the Ph concerns of straw/manure casting?? [Re: Legalize247]
    #5655675 - 05/21/06 09:27 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I assume by 'casting' you mean casing? If so, neither straw nor manure are suitable ingredients for a casing layer. Read some of the FAQ's before you begin. It will save you a ton of headaches and failures later.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinetrentallica
Lord Trentnar
Male User Gallery

Re: what is the Ph concerns of straw/manure casting?? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5655752 - 05/21/06 10:05 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I assume by 'casting' you mean casing? If so, neither straw nor manure are suitable ingredients for a casing layer. Read some of the FAQ's before you begin. It will save you a ton of headaches and failures later.
RR

excuse me if my terminology is a little off Rogg. I'm some what new at this. I'm talking about the layer that you cover your crumbled up cakes with, wait to colonize then fruit. my original plan was to use the 50/50+ tec, but i keep running into articles talking about the use of straw or poo or both. i just so happen to have some straw and organic cow manure. can i use the straw and manure, or are you saying stick with the 50/50+ tek??

to help me understand better the two different words i used the search area on the shroomery site to see were i was going wrong. i searched casting and got nothing. well i did get a nice little story about how trees are our friends. it was a word that i some how made up all on my own, and i now relinquish it from my vocabulary. i apologies for any confusion that i may have caused. floggings will be administered at high noon,
casings however is defined as being non nutritious, but i read a lot of talk about horse poo being used. so can i still use the straw and cow poo, or just straw? if so what is your take on the Ph issue??

http://www.shroomery.org/index.php/par/23435

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5655966 - 05/21/06 11:38 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Yes. Horse manure and straw are what we call 'bulk substrates'. 'Casing' is the layer we put over the top to provide a micro-climate favorable to fruiting as well as moisture to sustain the flush.

You can mix the cow manure with the straw, but if it's the bagged manure from a nursery, use no more than just enough to make the straw 'dirty', no more than 10% or so by volume the amount of straw.

You'll crumble your cakes into the straw, then wait for that to colonize, then add your casing layer. Do a search for bulk substrates. That should give a bit more info on procedures. Also, look up 'pasteurization', as the straw/manure needs to be pasteurized, not sterilized.

For a first grow, I'd suggest just crumbling your cakes and casing them with 50/50 peat/verm. After you get a bit of experience, go for the bulk substrates since there's a lot more places to screw up with bulk.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds