Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Taliban launch biggest attack since war
    #5648629 - 05/19/06 12:27 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

The storming of Musa Qala was ferocious. Hundreds of Taliban fighters poured incessant fire into the government buildings and police station. The ensuing battle was the longest and fiercest since the end of the war four years ago. As homes and shops were set alight, Qari Mohammed Yousef, a Taliban commander, used his satellite telephone to announce to a news agency that the town in Helmand had fallen to the "forces of Islam".

The Taliban were eventually forced to retreat, but the scale of the offensive was a symbolic declaration of intent as British troops pour into the province for their new mission in Afghanistan.

Sangin district, where yesterday's fighting occurred, is a mountain area close to the point where Helmand, Uruzgan and Kandahar, three of Afghanistan's most lawless provinces, meet. It has been an area of intense Taliban activity for the past year and a half. It is also a region thick with opium poppies this summer as Helmand heads for what is likely to be a record harvest.

The Taliban have kept up a barrage of threats. "We will turn Afghanistan into a river of blood for the British," said one of its commanders, Mohammed Hanif Sherzad, who says that he speaks for Mullah Omar, the former leader of the Taliban who is now believed to be somewhere in Pakistan. "We have beaten them before and we will beat them again."

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article548102.ece

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
Re: Taliban launch biggest attack since war [Re: Alex213]
    #5649755 - 05/19/06 11:08 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

From the post : The Taliban were eventually forced to retreat, but the scale of the offensive was a symbolic declaration of intent

How many casualties?
Any territory gained for strategic purposes?
Looks like a hasty ambush, that was quickly repelled.

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Taliban launch biggest attack since war [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #5650465 - 05/19/06 02:15 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/05/19/taliban-capture.html

"A suspected senior Taliban leader was captured in a battle earlier this week and is now being held in hospital, an Afghan general said on Friday...........
The prisoner, who has one leg, is believed to be Mullah Dadullah, the Associated Press quoted Afghan Gen. Rehmatullah Raufi as saying.

Dadullah lost a leg during fighting in the 1990s and is the group's commander in eastern and southeastern Afghanistan."

Yep, that worked well.

"Eighteen militants were killed and 35 captured during the battle in the Panjwayi district of Kandahar province."

--------------------

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
    #5652211 - 05/20/06 02:17 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Looks like a hasty ambush, that was quickly repelled.

Still the longest and fiercest battle for the last 4 years. You'd think after 4 years the Taliban would be losing ground not launching it's biggest attack yet.

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Re: Taliban launch biggest attack since war [Re: zappaisgod]
    #5652213 - 05/20/06 02:18 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

The prisoner, who has one leg

Catching the ones with two legs is even trickier.. :laugh:

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
    #5652652 - 05/20/06 08:56 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

In my estimation, the Taliban are still very desperate militarily. This ambush, although contained the element of surprise, has no follow through with successive, concise ambushes through the region. You would think that four years would be enough planning time. If they were to hit many geographical areas at the same time, with the same amount of force, now that is something to worry about. The bottom line: they can bearly muster guerrilla war tactics......they are hurting big time

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
    #5652897 - 05/20/06 10:46 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

In my estimation, the Taliban are still very desperate militarily

As desperate as they were back in the days when they were Reagans heroes and fighting the Russians?

The one good thing about this clusterfuck is at least the americans arn't arming them anymore.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #5652963 - 05/20/06 11:13 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The Inaccurate Taliban Offensive; Taliban military commander Mullah Dadullah reported captured
By Bill Roggio

Mullah Dadullah may have been captured during recent fighting in Afghanistan.

The news reports of a major Taliban offensive in southeastern Afghanistan are inaccurate, as Coalition offensives and Taliban attacks have been lumped together to give the impression of a coordinated Taliban assault in multiple provinces. A reading of the various reports indicates that while the Taliban has launched a major strike on a police station and government center in Helmand province and a small scale attack on a police patrol in Ghazni, as well as two suicide attacks against U.S. contractors in Herat and an Afghan army base in Ghazni, the fighting in Kandahar was initiated by Afghan and Coalition security forces during planned operations. Over 100 have been reported killed during the fighting, with 87 being Taliban. Well over half of those killed were killed during the Coalition offensives in Kandahar.

There were two separate major engagements in Kandahar province, and both were initiated by the Coalition. Coalition forces conducted a raid and subsequent air strikes against a Taliban safe haven in the village of Azizi. -- http://www.centcom.mil/sites/uscentcom1/Lists/Press%20Releases/DispForm.aspx?ID=3098 -- As many as 27 Taliban are believed to have been killed during the operation. A joint Canadian and Afghan security force conducted a sweep in the Panjwai district of Kandahar -- http://www.centcom.mil/sites/uscentcom1/...Releases%2Easpx -- and killed 18 Taliban and captured 26 in the process. One Canadian officer was killed and three Afghan police were wounded during the operation.

The fighting in Musa Qala in Helmand province is a bonafide major Taliban attack. The Associated Press -- http://home.bellsouth.net/s/editorial.dl...e&rg=blsadstrgt -- reports an "estimated 300-400 militants with assault rifles and machine guns attacked a police and government headquarters" in Musa Qala. The Afghan police provided reinforcements to the beleaguered police station, fought off the Taliban force, reestablished control over the region, and killed 40 Taliban and took thirteen casualties of their own. Two police patrols were ambushed in Ghazni, and resulted in the death of two policemen. There is no evidence the attacks were coordinated. And they certainly weren't coordinated to occur in conjunction with Coalition operations.

It is important to understand how the fighting was initiated, as the current reporting is giving the impression of a coordinated Taliban uprising. This provides the Taliban with a propaganda victory, as their power is perceived as far greater than it actually is, which can negatively influence the government and peoples of the Coalition forces serving in Afghanistan. The narrow passage of the extension of the Canadian mission in Afghanistan (by a 149-145 vote in Parliament) illustrates the fragile nature of the support for the mission in some Western nations.

During the fighting of the past few days, the Coalition may have scored a major victory. The BBC's Alastair Leithead -- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4997548.stm -- reports Mullah Dadullah, the Taliban's most senior commander, has been captured, however the military has yet to confirm this report. The Jamestown Foundation describes Mullah Dadullah as "The Military Mastermind of the Taliban Insurgency" as well as "a member of the 10-man leading council of Taliban insurgents." Dadullah reportedly escaped the U.S. and Northern Alliance onslaught of the Taliban regime in the winter of 2002 and surfaced in South Waziristan, Pakistan, where he raised funds and organized the Taliban insurgency. Dadullah would be a treasure trove of information on the Taliban's operations in both Afghanistan and Pakistan. Qari Naeem, the Taliban commander of Ghazni province, was also killed.

May 19, 2006 11:38 AM

So the Taliban got stomped. This is news? They've been getting stomped for years now. They'll be stomped for years more to come.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Re: Taliban launch biggest attack since war [Re: Phred]
    #5655475 - 05/21/06 06:01 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Isn't Bill Roggio a guy who goes around requesting people send him money so he can "embed" with the occupation armies in Afghanistan and Iraq? Are you sure he isn't just giving us the "embedded" line?

Obviously you arn't going to be invited to be "embedded" unless you write articles the American army approves of.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#5655624 - 05/21/06 08:39 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Monday, May 08, 2006
Support Bill Roggio

When somebody asks me for money and I don’t know them very well, my first thoughts are: “This is a crooked SOB.” I am such a cynic that I don’t believe anything until the ink is dried and the check has cleared. With that said, every now and then, I meet somebody makes me think outside of norm. One such feller is Bill Roggio, whom I met at the Milblogging conference.

Roggio is a former Marine who volunteered to go to Iraq as a civilian “blogger.” Much like Michael Yon, Roggio gave Americans uncensored an objective perspective and honest writing. But he didn’t earn a dime. While the N.Y. Times re-published Army press releases, Roggio risked his life by going out on patrols in Tikrit and other parts of Iraq. Meanwhile, all the other journalists received steady combat pay from their respective employers and were bedded up in their nice trailers in the Green Zone. But not Bill.

In fact, his readers paid for his way into Iraq. And now he wants to embed in Afghanistan. But he needs your help. Bill still has that Marine swagger; he’s just not receiving their combat pay. His service to our country is worth however many pennies you can spare.

http://desert-smink.blogspot.com/2006/05/support-bill-roggio.html

Seems to be a tad more "independant" than anybody else. Of course, he is ex-military so is no doubt a lying apologist for the Bush/Rove hegemonic war machine. Just not on their payroll.

--------------------

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
    #5656137 - 05/21/06 12:35 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Seems to be a tad more "independant" than anybody else

How can you be "independent" if you're embedded? If you write a story the american army doesn't approve of they're either going to get rid of you or simply restrict your access to zero.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#5656163 - 05/21/06 12:43 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

You will note Roggio didn't write a "story"... he instead provided links to the BBC, AP, CentCom, etc, giving a far more complete picture than the Independent article did.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
    #5656273 - 05/21/06 01:06 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Well, the story he's trying to put across is that all the news reports were wrong and that the Taliban isn't as strong as it sounds. So far he's the only person I've heard claiming this.

he instead provided links to the BBC

Not really. The link to the BBC is a different story to the one the Independent reported.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5656306 - 05/21/06 01:14 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Fucking unbelievable. You are such a goddamn hypocrite.

You tear into Zappa when he posts a news story, and someone follows up with another story that proves the previous one wrong. When your story is challenged, though, you refuse to budge.

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
Re: Taliban launch biggest attack since war [Re: Redstorm]
    #5656401 - 05/21/06 01:34 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Fucking unbelievable. You are such a goddamn hypocrite.

Are you upset? Or do you still think you are talking to your mother?

You tear into Zappa when he posts a news story, and someone follows up with another story that proves the previous one wrong

Let me explain.

Zappas story WAS bullshit.

In this case we've got one ex-marine embedded guy claiming all the news stories by everyone else are inaccurate. Surely you don't automatically take this guys word at face value?

Can you see the difference between the two examples?

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#5656658 - 05/21/06 02:59 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

In this case we've got one ex-marine embedded guy claiming all the news stories by everyone else are inaccurate. Surely you don't automatically take this guys word at face value?

Can you see the difference between the two examples?

Roggio never claimed the Independent story was wrong, just that media stories on the recent actions in Afghanistan are incomplete, leaving the impression that the Taliban is somehow making a comeback rather than sounding its death rattle. When the Independent story is added to those by AP, BBC, and others, then fleshed out with CentCom releases which (surprise, surprise) the MSM refuses to pick up on, it's clear that the Taliban is getting its ass kicked.

Roggio himself did no reporting. He wrote no dispatch. All he did was gather together information from various open sources (CentCom, BBC, AP) and put it all in one place, with commentary showing the obvious -- that far from being a blow to the UN forces operating in Afghanistan, the latest clashes were VERY costly to the Taliban.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#5657594 - 05/21/06 07:04 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

It wasn't my story, it was a major 'nuck news agency, which I checked out before I posted. They burned me and a lot of other people as well. And Alex didn't bust me too bad over it, which I appreciate. And Roggio isn't embedded, which was the point of my link, which is that he doesn't seem to be in anybody's pocket except his own. And the readers who fund him.

--------------------

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
    #5658926 - 05/22/06 12:48 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Roggio never claimed the Independent story was wrong just that media stories on the recent actions in Afghanistan are incomplete

No, he said they were inaccurate.

All he did was gather together information from various open sources (CentCom, BBC, AP) and put it all in one place, with commentary showing the obvious

It's funny how no other news source agrees with his slant tho.

it's clear that the Taliban is getting its ass kicked

If that was the case the UK wouldn't have had to send 8000 troops to the Helmand province last month.

InvisibleAlex213
Stranger
    #5658991 - 05/22/06 01:20 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

And Roggio isn't embedded

I don't know what he's doing now but he has been embedded in Afghanistan and Iraq.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#5659303 - 05/22/06 06:49 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Actually, Roggio never even mentions the Independent article. He may have been referring to the article in the Washington Times, which was inaccurate.

As for your finding it funny that "no other news source" agrees with his "slant", it is indeed suspicious that each MSM report taken in isolation manages to give the very strong impression -- through omission of key facts germane to the story being covered -- that these developments somehow constitute a victory for the Taliban rather than an ass-kicking. Suspicious, but not uncommon. The MSM has been doing this kind of thing for years now.

Now that the UK has sent 8,000 troops to Helmand province, the Taliban will get their ass kicked even more thoroughly.

Phred

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order