Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFungusMan
I81U812
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Everywhere
Mycological Career?
    #5648213 - 05/18/06 10:40 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Ever since I started this amazing hobby, I have become infatuated with everything mycological. I would LOVE to legally make money whilst enjoying this science. What kind of work IS there in the world of mycology?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebeyondsisxth
Title?
Male User Gallery

Re: Mycological Career? [Re: FungusMan]
    #5648412 - 05/18/06 11:23 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

For the small time entrepreneur, here is a link from the National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service that goes over professional cultivation and marketing for mushroom.

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/mushroom.html

--------------------
The sun was pulling cheap shots doing commercial body tricks, Behind the back, Under the leg, I think he even did a headspin, On a crossfader that sounded whack, But looked excellent, All of the sudden it gets dim, The crater face steps in, Puts mexican drumbreaks on the Technics, He's like "Let's begin", He conducted an orchestra so dope the sun started sweatin' him, I guess he'd expected to win on pure artistic merit, Composing complex plays with nothin but soundbytes, Burned out the lights, Made MCs too self conscious quit the master mics, For a thousand nights, It continued without a single slip up, Except once the record skipped, But it kinda sounded cool.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: beyondsisxth]
    #5648808 - 05/19/06 01:28 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

You can grow mushrooms, be a consultant for mushroom growers, get a PhD and do your own research, or work in a mycology lab for someone else. I'm sure that there are plenty of other ways to make legal money at it.

A couple of years ago I read about a program that someone had to teach the practical and business aspects or growing and preparing extracts from medicinal mushrooms. It seemed like a pretty cool and sophisticated program. I think the main idea was that there are a ton of very high dollar products you can get out of medicinal mushrooms. They're used for research and treatments for various illnesses. The idea was to make a high-grade finished product by growing various mushrooms and using column chromatography to separate the extracts into different fractions. It seemed like a very good program. I can't seem to remember where I came across it. Maybe it was from the FMRC, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone can help?

-FF

--------------------
It drinks the alcohol and abstains from the weed or else it gets the hose again. -Chemy

The difference between the substances doesn't matter. This is a war on consciousness, on our right to the very essence of what we are. With no control over that, we have no need to speak of freedom or a free society. -fireseed

"If we are going to have a war on marijuana, the least we can do is pull the sick and the dying off the battlefield." -Neal Levine (MPP)

I find the whole "my drug should be legal but yours should be illegal" mindset disgusting and hypocritical. It's what George Bush and company do when they drink a cocktail and debate the best way to imprison marijuana users. -Diploid

OfflineEdgekrusher
God
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: fastfred]
    #5659668 - 05/22/06 10:51 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, medicinal sciences would be the way to go. I'm also considering changing majors. Probably won't though, but it's still a fine hobby. Still, taking a year off to consider my options.

Invisibletoole
white-thumb (Onewhackmycophiliac)
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: spore #1203 - bas 2.34 - ...
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: Edgekrusher]
    #5660149 - 05/22/06 01:21 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Yea, I took a few years solo to work on my own-but I am apprenticing myself to becoming a mycologist. Hoping to attend school in a few years and one day maybe a PhD

--------------------
-the adventures of suse and prescott.9-

..and the neverending triscut of doom !

OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

#5660990 - 05/22/06 05:08 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Having a large mushroom farm is actually quite a labor intensive business venture.

Ever see that show 'dirty jobs'? they did one on a button mushroom farm. pretty neat.

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: Schwip]
    #5662979 - 05/23/06 03:53 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

you know, i also have been thinking about making cash legally with this great hobby for quite some time now.

the only problem is, the hobby i fun, but will the work be fun once its everyday business ?

i can imagine that once your living is based on mycological work, itll soon just be
as any other job, routinous, boring, all the same, everyday. its the small line
between the hobby and the job that actually carries the fascination and i think
that it would cease to fascinate pretty soon.

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: ohmatic]
    #5663291 - 05/23/06 08:24 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

A large mushroom farm is a tremendous amount of work. You can't possibly run one single handed, because selling mushrooms wholesale for $2/pound means you need to have several truckloads leaving your premises every day. Who wants to deal with employees not showing up for work, or the air conditioning system going out just as the shiitakes are pinning, or to go to all the work to get an operation going just to find out they can import mushrooms from China for cheaper than you can grow them. . .Personally, I'll just keep my day job and stick to hobby growing. lol
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineEdgekrusher
God
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5663652 - 05/23/06 10:43 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

There are tons of mycological careers other than being a commercial grower. Thats just the first, and seemingly only, idea that pops through most heads.

Invisibletoole
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: Edgekrusher]
    #5663920 - 05/23/06 11:38 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Seriously-look at the scientific fields opposed to the commercial ones. Sitting in a lab all day long crossing mushrooms and experimenting (aka having fun?) And on the side growing psilocybin mushrooms -

..uh count me in?

--------------------

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: toole]
    #5664309 - 05/23/06 12:57 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Are there any schools (universities) that don't require calculus and such for their biology program/mycology majors? Because calculus is the main thing standing in my way of pursuing this. At this point, I'm going to go into agriculture and see if I can find a backdoor in, if not I'll stick to botany as a profession and mycology as a hobby.

Also, despite the hardwork and annoyances, I'd love to work at or run a mushroom farm. I'd never get tired of it.

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: demiu5]
    #5664699 - 05/23/06 02:10 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

There is always the fmrc's mail order phd in mycology. But seriously, what's wrong with calculus? Surely if you're able to get through genetics you can get through calculus....

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: Mycological Career? [Re: mycofile]
    #5664749 - 05/23/06 02:26 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Haven't taken genetics yet and probably won't since I'm not going into Biology. I hate genetics and microbiology. The cellular level is less interesting to me as opposed to working with live plants/fungi, but I do have a small interest in it.

--------------------

Invisiblemycogirl
goddamn
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5665213 - 05/23/06 03:50 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Some schools allow a statistical math course opposed to a calc class, but I feel you have not considered a few important items.

1. No one gets an undergrad degree in mycology. They usually do botany or biology then go to PhD programs for mycology.

2. Even if you don't have to take calc, you have to take organic chem. That is much more of a killer than calc.

3. You also have to take physics. If you can't handle calc, good luck with physics.

4. As a part of item 1, to go to graduate school for mycology, the school is probably going to want to see calc, even if it wasn't a req. for you undergrad.

As a side note, maybe you should consider starting a small business producing eatables for local restaurants and markets. This seems like much more of the niche you are seeking.

--------------------

Edited by mycogirl (05/23/06 03:50 PM)

OfflineSenselessRebel
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Mycological Career? [Re: mycogirl]
    #5665498 - 05/23/06 04:56 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

toole, most deff the thing im shooting for. i love the idea of sitting in a lab and crossing shrooms and plants and experimenting with genetics
im right there with you toole
-SenselessRebel

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #5665704 - 05/23/06 05:49 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Calculus is 90% hype, you can do anything you put your mind to. I almost quit working towards my dream job because of calculus and physics, but instead buckled down and pulled it off with flying colors--and so can you.

As far as making money with this hobby goes, I've contemplated the same thing until really considering PC'ing and making spawn bags and all day, laying endless tubs of compost, and doing whatever it takes to grow commercial shrooms...but it just doesn't sound like it's worth the switch from a normal job. It's something to get you through the day as a hobby, but seems to me that it would not be so enjoyable 24/7. Who knows though, a small percentage of business owners are doing what they truly love, and that's definitely the place to be. Maybe it's possible to find that kind of happiness with this hobby turned business. Let me know if it is that good, because I'm there.

InvisibleFungusMan
I81U812
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Everywhere
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: Holydiver]
    #5667560 - 05/24/06 03:00 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

The type of career I had in mind was not in running my own business in cultivation. I just want to know what choices I would/could make after spending outrageous sums of cash for school. What I mean is, is there a demand for mycologists? Is it economically a good carrer tree?

Invisibletoole
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5668842 - 05/24/06 01:32 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Nothing in the sciences will be a top "economically' good carreer tree"

Find what you love-then learn how to make money from it.

If you like to sit in a lab do it.

If you like to cultivate crops of mushrooms do that.

Pretty much any activity that you can give a name can be profitable-just depends how much you want to work.

--------------------

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: ohmatic]
    #5669675 - 05/24/06 06:26 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ohmatic said:
its the small line between the hobby and the job that actually carries the fascination and i think that it would cease to fascinate pretty soon.

There is still the excitement and fascination of growing and maintaining your own sucessful business that cannot be contrived from a typical wage slave job.

I think the biggest killer would be failure to innovate.
Once successful techniques are in place the fascination comes from experimenting with possibilities in efficiency, labor-saving and yield enhancements. With fungus there are innumerable paths to fruit.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: Mycological Career? [Re: debianlinux]
    #5669902 - 05/24/06 07:16 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Actually, I like creating life, or at least giving life the ability to be created...that's why I want to do it; therefore, if not mycology, botany is fine with me.

I also agree with

Quote:

debianlinux said:

Once successful techniques are in place the fascination comes from experimenting with possibilities in efficiency, labor-saving and yield enhancements.

That's the science edge I enjoy.

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #5671181 - 05/25/06 12:58 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Stay in school, and study, study, study.
Research is where the money is.

Invisibleindianprincess
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Loc: On my way
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: deanofmean]
    #5674364 - 05/25/06 07:37 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

When a hobby turns into your career, it then becomes work. Sometimes the thing you loved to do becomes a chore, and it loses it's special appeal. I've been down that road. Hobbies and careers are very different and have very different demands.

Invisibletoole
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: indianprincess]
    #5674384 - 05/25/06 07:44 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

indianprincess said:
When a hobby turns into your career, it then becomes work. Sometimes the thing you loved to do becomes a chore, and it loses it's special appeal. I've been down that road. Hobbies and careers are very different and have very different demands.

Lmao, just because that is what happened in your hypothetical or (real?) scenario-doesn't mean anything for the "X" other users.

--------------------

Invisibleindianprincess
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Loc: On my way
    #5674495 - 05/25/06 08:15 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Twice I have tried to turn a hobby into a career and both times it ended with me disliking something that a had previously enjoyed immensely. IME

Invisibletoole
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: indianprincess]
    #5674552 - 05/25/06 08:30 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

But that is just you is all I'm saying.

I know exactly what you mean, it's happened to many.

I'm just getting at-let 'that' person decide to do what and when.

--------------------

Invisiblemycogirl
goddamn
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: deanofmean]
    #5685634 - 05/29/06 04:37 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

deanofmean said:
Stay in school, and study, study, study.
Research is where the money is.

Those color coded action words scream bio lecture power point...

:wink:

--------------------

Offlinetonyperez420
Shaman Rasta

Re: Mycological Career? [Re: mycogirl]
    #5720228 - 06/06/06 07:02 PM (17 years, 9 months ago)

pay shroomery and become a sponsor... make kits, ready to inoculate jars, buy a bunch of equip at wholesale and sell it individually at retail, pretend that you get your spores from a country where it is legal, and steal everybody's ideas like mycoshack (by the way what happened to them, hippiechick must have killed them lol)

am I correct???

personally i love growing psycadelic shrooms that make people trip balls... its actually the most successful thing I have done in my life, i guess I found my niche
my motivation is to grow more efficiently and stronger, more potent shrooms that help people encounter a different reality, help them find themselves...

I love my job!

OfflineWowbobwow12
Devotee ofStamets'Techniques

#5729444 - 06/09/06 02:26 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

Demlus, you sound just lke me. I'm starting a second B.A. in the fall for horticulture, something you may want to consider if you want to go the plant route, as opposed to botany. I'm keeping mycology, or plant pathology, as many universities call their programs, in mind however. Either caring for plants or fungi in a scientific/research position would be a heavenly life. You should consider looking at a couple of interesting programs I found while researching my own future.

Penn State
Penn State's Mushroom Spawn Lab
Washington State University
Oregon State

Also, check out Peterson's plant pathology undergrad/graduate program searcher:
Petersons search page

--------------------
"I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the Customs Agent. I am the Coast guard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable." -Alexander Shulgin, PhD, Chemist and author, at the DPF Conference, November 1996

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: Mycological Career? [Re: Wowbobwow12]
    #5729853 - 06/09/06 06:35 AM (17 years, 9 months ago)

I'll look at those this afternoon after work. Thanks.

--------------------

Offline2FiNiTe
ConsideratlyKilling Me
Male User Gallery

Loc: New England
    #5769059 - 06/19/06 06:06 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

toole said:
Seriously-look at the scientific fields opposed to the commercial ones. Sitting in a lab all day long crossing mushrooms and experimenting (aka having fun?) And on the side growing psilocybin mushrooms -

..uh count me in?

all hail

--------------------
"Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living."

General Omar N. Bradley

Invisiblecappa
Nerd
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: 2FiNiTe]
    #5771104 - 06/20/06 01:44 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I've spoken to too many experienced humans(old farts (50+) :smile: about making a hobby into a business.

Never spoken with one yet that said they enjoyed it after a while. Some of them were successful with it in a business sense. But most basically said the same thing. They lost enjoyment for their favorite hobby.

--------------------
Their are 10 types of people. Those that understand binary, and those who don't.
~Cappa.

OfflineCoolMojo
Imagination iswhat you make ofit
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: cappa]
    #5788450 - 06/25/06 02:12 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I worked at a business that was doing a hobby, for a guy who started it as a hobby. He loved it, I loved it. It depends on how u do it though. Generally speaking if the job is fun, it doesn't pay well (there are exceptions) So the first thing you have to do is relize your probly gonna have to take a paycut.

Next make sure your doing it for the right reasons. If your looking todo it because you want to enjoy working...your gonna hate it. This is where you end up like all these other posts say, after awhile its no longer fun its just work.

The key is todo it for acomplishment. The work we did was hot, sweaty, HARD work. It sucked, it sucked bad. The reason I loved it was at the end of the day, I could look at something I had made with my own hands. I could see how much better I'd become then when I started. I had a sense of acomplishment.

Basically it boils down to, turning a hobby into a job is not the same as turning a passion into a job.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: CoolMojo]
    #5789000 - 06/25/06 09:47 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

CoolMojo said:
The reason I loved it was at the end of the day, I could look at something I had made with my own hands. I could see how much better I'd become then when I started. I had a sense of acomplishment.

thats the reason i left college. i was a chemistry major. my entire life, though, i really enjoyed working on my and friends guitars and other stringed instrument. i decided to take some time off and work on that craft. 2 years later i was working in the gibson custom shop building instruments for some of the best musicians in the world. it was awesome to find out that after years of thinking that i wanted some sort of mental job, i wound up doing something with my hands. nothing feels better than starting with blank materials and having a finished product at the end of the day, whether it be a guitar or a computer program or website or whatever.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlineoneslug
Stranger
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: SenselessRebel]
    #5803593 - 06/29/06 03:07 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

my uncle paul stamets started his career writing books and studying mycology. but now he grows "all" kinds of mushrooms and sells them to resturaunts etc.

Invisibletoole
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: oneslug]
    #5810344 - 07/01/06 05:15 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

oneslug said:
my uncle paul stamets started his career writing books and studying mycology. but now he grows "all" kinds of mushrooms and sells them to resturaunts etc.

Doubtful.

But if that man is your uncle..I'd keep my ears clean when he speaks.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5812128 - 07/02/06 11:06 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Actually, he started his career hunting, tripping, and growing cubes to sell to college students. The writing part came ten years later.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibletoole
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5812351 - 07/02/06 12:22 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Hahaha

Did you all know my aunt is Hillary Clinton? :P

She started off blowing away the competition and eating lots of mushrooms.

Vote Hillary.

--------------------

Offlinedavesj1
Stranger

#5813590 - 07/02/06 08:53 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

A BS in biology is pretty easy. Dont sweat it. Organic is the only thing that gets irtritating, but as long as you stay on top of it definately doable. Im about to get my BS in Bio. Then grad school for either evolutionary bio, sociobio or microbiology.

Invisibletoole
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: davesj1]
    #5813677 - 07/02/06 09:09 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

That's awesome Dave.

I wish I persued traditional college right out of high school, I may return and put my hands towards biology.

Evolutionary Biology, now that sounds like some fun.

--------------------

Offlinedavesj1
Stranger

#5813695 - 07/02/06 09:14 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Yes it deos. Unfortunately there isnt that much profit in it. Thats why im keeping micro open as an option.

Invisibletoole
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Mycological Career? [Re: davesj1]
    #5813701 - 07/02/06 09:17 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Sadly, the world's spendings on the sciences are far too low :frown: Creating a high demand for scientists at low pay.

They know their brains are gold and their knowledge is pure milk for this pussy of a world !

Good Luck to you wherever you go.

--------------------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #5819654 - 07/04/06 11:42 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

There's actually a tremendous amount of money that can made in farming mushrooms, but as said the work load is heavy. I know 2 guys in Pennsylania that are living rather nice lives. I have the option of going to work for either of them, but Lazlo in Pennsylvania is an oxymoron. lol. Besides, i've got enough stuff to keep me busy.

Edited by hotnutz (07/04/06 01:25 PM)

Offlineoneslug
Stranger

#6910840 - 05/13/07 06:59 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

i was at the mans wedding, and recieved christmas grow boxes. hes not my parents sibling but somehow the words uncle and blood relations are very
cognate terms.

OfflineImmortal
Stranger
    #6928528 - 05/17/07 03:55 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Mycology is my only source of income :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck