Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBread
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Subs - SE Suburbs, Victoria - Few questions and ID help
    #5640872 - 05/17/06 05:12 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Hey everyone!

Went for a lengthy walk today to tryand find a new patch. Found a few good spots but have some questions, mostly aong the same lines. Weather has been kinda wet lately except for today and yesterday, which were both fairly sunny. All pictures are 800x600 and generally 150kb+ to maintain quality.

To start with, I should probably post a pic of what I hve been going out and looking for. I understand that subs can look different at different stages of growth, but this picture shows what I am used to looking for.

1. These two mushrooms are growing side by side - I believe both are subs but the one on the right has a very different cap to the other one. Is this a result of drying in the sun? The top view shows two different looking caps, and the side view shows bluing on the bigger shroom's stem, but not so much on the smaller one. Are thse both subs or are they two different mushrooms?? Both active?

2. Similar to above, these two mushrooms were growing near each other. Mushroom B (top view, side view) has a strange pattern on it's cap, whereas muchroom A has a plain cap with less bluing on the stem. Again, are these just different stages of growth / age or different mushrooms? Is there any chance that mushroom B could have some sort of pesticide or something in it? If so would mushroom A be bad as well? A patch of these things was also growing nearby (side view).

3. These were all together, about a 15 minute walk from a sign that said THIS AREA HAS BEEN SPRAYED FOR ENVIRONMENTAL --- (I can't remember that last word.... 'pests' or something). They look like sub but none were at all blue, and all had a different shaped cap.

Close-up 1
Close-up 2
A few together
A few more
An (older?) cluster of them - note the browning ones in the middle...???
And then there was this little patch about 10 metres down from the rest.

As I couldn't see any bluing on any of these, and the different shapes and the brown ones, I don't think they are subs...? Some of them do look very alike though??

4. I found this bunch of what I believe to be subs also but they are much darker than what I am used to. Is this due to different location/age or are they not subs/active?

Group photo
Single close-up
Two older ones?
A few more

And finally 5. What I have been doing with my picked shrooms is fan-drying them and then putting them into a rubber-sealed glass jar. Is this okay? I've read through all the methods on the site and am hoping this will suffice. If I put one or two in there that aren't 100% dry, is it going to fuck everything up? Moisture getting caught in the jar?

Thanks to anyone still reading this! This is my first real season for hunting so hopefully I can get some answers and experience from this board. Here are two pics of what I got from today, not heaps (I was walking for six hours!) but at least I've got a couple of new places to check back on.

Thanks everyone!

Nice ones drying
Manky ones drying

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemoshroom
curious
Loc: Ausvicmel s.e
Re: Subs - SE Suburbs, Victoria - Few questions and ID help [Re: Bread]
    #5640975 - 05/17/06 06:47 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

pretty much all of them except -these things- in no. look like subs to me, just bruise them a little on the stems to see if they blue, they arnt always obviously blueing before you pick them sometimes, so if u think ur onto a patch, cut off one with a clean stem and pinch the base, wait about 20 minutes and see if its blueing where u pinched it.
the first 4 pics under point 3. look alot like some i came across the other day with a mate, they have lighter caps and look fucking awsome, the ones i got where all about 10cm tall and all looked picture perfect, wish i had a camera. gonna try em this weekend.

just remember to check each individual mushroom u pick coz you can sometimes mistake gallerinas and hypolimas or whatever they are.

--------------------
Magic Mushrooms are just natures way of saying High!

Offlinetriple_
Mushroom!Mushroom!
Male
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Subs - SE Suburbs, Victoria - Few questions and ID help [Re: moshroom]
    #5641022 - 05/17/06 07:18 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with moshroom. As far as I can tell (and you're probably better off waiting for a couple more opinions), they all *look* like subaeruginosa, with the exception of the "these things" link. They seem to have a reddish tinge on the caps, which is a no no.

However, as moshroom said, make sure you check for blue bruising and spore print them to verify that they are indeed subs.

Props on the pictures too! Nice shots!

OfflineBread
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Subs - SE Suburbs, Victoria - Few questions and ID help [Re: triple_]
    #5645036 - 05/18/06 02:50 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Cool, thanks for the input.  Anybody else got any advice?  I would  like to hear some more in regard to number 3; the ones that have browned strike me as strange...?  Pretty confident with the rest of them now!  :grin:

What kind of signs would I be getting from sprayed shrooms?

Glad you liked the pics, I tried to make sure they were going to help my questions and not confuse!

Cheers!

Offlinemojika
Jonium
Female User Gallery

Loc: the dark side of the moon
    #5645203 - 05/18/06 04:36 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with the top two responses...

The caps start of rounder and they flatten out and sometimes have that nipple looking bit. They are too young to pick if the veil still covers the gills. Not that they wont work, they just will get bigger...

I don't know anything about the spraying? I know there are signs in the botanical gardens saying specifically that mushrooms have been sprayed but i don't know about your sign....

and no you don't want any moisture in the jar at all... i dry mine out on some cardboard or polystyrene or something under my bed for a few days then keep em in a paper bag. In a little bit I'll put em in a sealed jar

nice find  :peace:

--------------------
Three words

...sex acid & psytrance...

amen

OfflineBread
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Subs - SE Suburbs, Victoria - Few questions and ID help [Re: mojika]
    #5645404 - 05/18/06 07:46 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mojika said:
and no you don't want any moisture in the jar at all... i dry mine out on some cardboard or polystyrene or something under my bed for a few days then keep em in a paper bag. In a little bit I'll put em in a sealed jar

Thanks for the tip.  I obviously didn't have my previous finds dry enough coz my jar had a bunch of stinky mouldy mushrooms in it!!!  :mad2: :mad2:  I can't even find where the hell my fan is, so I'm just going to have to air-dry this new lot.  Will this work or do I really need a fan on them?

A sporeprint I did on one of my (now mouldy) ealier ones was pretty black whereas these new ones are less black.  It's hard to tell in these photos, it actually looks pretty black, but they have a purple-red-brown tinge to them?  Here's a pic with flash and a pic without flash.  The right is the print, and the left is from a mushroom that had been lying on it's side.  Can I assume this is just my eyes notciing the difference?  After all, pics seem fine.  It is a white sheet of paper, not yellow as the no-flash pic might make it appear.

Thanks again for the advice, I better go wash my jar out now.  :sad:

Offlinethosemynikes
Gangster
 User Gallery

Loc: CA, monterey bay
    #5646308 - 05/18/06 01:06 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

i believe i see a coprinus to the back left in that 4th picture....

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: Subs - SE Suburbs, Victoria - Few questions and ID help [Re: thosemynikes]
    #5646654 - 05/18/06 03:06 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Best writeup ever :laugh:

Well done on the finds.

Offlinemoshroom
curious
Re: Subs - SE Suburbs, Victoria - Few questions and ID help [Re: Feelers]
    #5648953 - 05/19/06 02:35 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

thoes prints look pretty spot on to me, im guessing the top one is darker because u left the cap on for longer? this lets more spores fall out onto the paper so thats possibly why it looks darker and more dense.

ur number 3 looks like ones ive found, they blued slightly at the base and my mate took them home to put in his freezer, now were both getting paranoid about them because theres something about them, they look a little too perfect, so if someone id's ur no.3 pic then i will be certain about mine. im pretty much 99.9% sure there good, just need that .1% b4 i eat em.

--------------------

Edited by moshroom (05/19/06 03:03 AM)

OfflineBread
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Subs - SE Suburbs, Victoria - Few questions and ID help [Re: moshroom]
    #5649073 - 05/19/06 03:40 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I might go back in the next few days andsee how they're looking. With the exception of those ones, all the other subs I've found have been pretty sattered, no more than say 10 in one area, so I'd be pretty happy if they were the right things.

Fingers crossed!

Invisibleshroomkma
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5649293 - 05/19/06 07:52 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

yeah there all subs dude...
there just small ones.. soon u will be able to id them with out checking 4 the blue/black colour on the stems/caps...

but tho';s shrooms are just small baby ones leave them... untill they open... also from what ive learnt there is bout 5-15 diffrent looken type of subs... when i say that... in some places the caps grow difrent to other places... and sumtimes u can find patchers where they look totaly diffrent size colour ect.. but are extaclty the same...
but after a bit of hunting u get to know all the diffrent type of caps and can pick them easy as outa 1000's of tho's redish oorange ones...

any ways good finds good luck

InvisibleshroominDole
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: O.C . S o. C a l .
Re: Subs - SE Suburbs, Victoria - Few questions and ID help [Re: shroomkma]
    #5666795 - 05/23/06 10:32 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Not ALL those mushrooms can be properly identified as Ps aeruginosa from those pictures

there are POISONOUS lookalikes which some of those might very well be....these mushrooms have accounted for deaths in Europe.....that being Psilocybe fasciculare which is EXTREMELY common in Austrailia

And you must NEVER consider any mushroom that doesnt have the proper spore color AND any of which doesnt bruise....DISTINCLY.....no two ways about it BLUE in time where handled or cut as the poisonous lookalikes not only can LOOK identical but have the same color spores as SUBs and occur in the same habitat.....but DONT bruise BLUE

Some species of mushrooms that bruise BLUE are poisonous but dont have DARK PURPLISH BROWN to PURPLISH BLACKISH spores like Psilocybes and poisonous Hypholomas

--------------------
Worlds Largest 'Liberty Cap' (Cali Libs Confirmed !)
' Comments On Hallucinogenic Agarics And The Hallucinations Of Those Who Study Them '
Alexander H. Smith
Mycologia vol.69 1977

InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery
Loc: Australia brah
Re: Subs - SE Suburbs, Victoria - Few questions and ID help [Re: shroominDole]
    #5667569 - 05/24/06 03:10 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

shroominDole said:
Not ALL those mushrooms can be properly identified as Ps aeruginosa from those pictures

there are POISONOUS lookalikes which some of those might very well be....these mushrooms have accounted for deaths in Europe.....that being Psilocybe fasciculare which is EXTREMELY common in Austrailia

And you must NEVER consider any mushroom that doesnt have the proper spore color AND any of which doesnt bruise....DISTINCLY.....no two ways about it BLUE in time where handled or cut as the poisonous lookalikes not only can LOOK identical but have the same color spores as SUBs and occur in the same habitat.....but DONT bruise BLUE

Some species of mushrooms that bruise BLUE are poisonous but dont have DARK PURPLISH BROWN to PURPLISH BLACKISH spores like Psilocybes and poisonous Hypholomas

They are all defenitely subs except for the ones where you have said "A patch of these things."

shroominDole, when you hunt these for so long, and when you deal with them everyday, you know when they are P.Subaeruginosa. If they weren't clear photos, id be hesistant but in my opinion, every picture contains subs. In the patches where there is 10 or so, i would still check every one to make sure a Galerina or something hasnt snuck in the patch however this is no indication of anything poisonous.

Stem colour matches up, appearance of cap suits subs, gill colour and formation suits subs, lack of veil remnant, lack of orangy coloured stem.

I know your trying to head caution but i think in this case its safe to say what you have in those pictures bar one, are all subs. However a close examination would still be necessary just to be certain.

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

OfflineBread
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #5667575 - 05/24/06 03:17 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Great.

Well they're all drying now, and getting bluer and bluer. So I'll have to check teh spore prints afterwards too then, hey?

Does anyone have any photos of these Galerina lookalikes? Just how similar to they look to a sub?

OfflineWyscuL
Stranger
    #5667577 - 05/24/06 03:18 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

The post above highlights some of the problems that we are having with getting a solid ID on P.Subs in East Vic.

We seem to be having a 'lack of bluing' problem with our (first season) hunting at the moment.  I have tried to be as self-researched as possible, but I would really appreciate some advice! :smile:

We have been fairly selective on what we have been 'test picking' and spore printing, but we are having a really hard time finding p.sub indicative "bluing" in our travels.

Our spore prints have been all the same dark purple-chocolate brown, but the bluing has been absent.

Any bruising that I have seen so far (on two of our test picks) has been more of a black bruising or even a dark green bruising.

An example of the sort of bruising I have been seeing can be seen  here  on the rim of the cap. 

Not all of our test picks bruise like this, even when spore-print and gill structure seem very similar, as can be seen on the stem cut (right hand side) Here

here is a pic of the cap (this one is a little lighter than others I have picked)

My first attempt at IDing a p.sub also had this darker bruising.

I know that we are supposed to be looking for genuine 'blue' bruising, but I am hopeful that wise people can tell me that I am totally off course and that the bluing is an -essential- p.sub trait.

ie: no definitive bluing - no p.sub?

.. and sorry to hijack the thread!

EDIT: I am tech illiterate!

Edited by WyscuL (05/24/06 03:36 AM)

OfflineBread
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Subs - SE Suburbs, Victoria - Few questions and ID help [Re: DepthToTheCore]
    #5667578 - 05/24/06 03:20 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Thnks for that notorious. I'm glad you posted actually, as I had been getting worried as to just how 'lookalike' the lookalikes are. I've felt pretty confident about what I've got so far but would appreciate if anyone has a lookalike photo so I know what they look like.

OfflineBread
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Subs - SE Suburbs, Victoria - Few questions and ID help [Re: WyscuL]
    #5667581 - 05/24/06 03:24 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

I think that this photo is what the typical bluing should be looking like. Some have a litle more and some a little less, but this should give you an idea.

The stem in your last photo seems pretty orange/yellow...? I definitely would not be trying that until someone more experienced can verify.

OfflineWyscuL
Stranger
    #5667585 - 05/24/06 03:30 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

We are a fair way from eating anything at this stage.  We are more likely to try and get the experience behind us so that we can be a lot wiser as to what to aim for!

Its fun going hunting regarless of what we come back with :smile:

Thanks for the warning though!

Edited by WyscuL (05/24/06 03:38 AM)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #5667598 - 05/24/06 03:44 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

'Psilocybe fasciculare' I have never seen this mushroom in Australia.
I am not aware of any blue staining hypholoma or Psilocybes that are poisonous in any way (excluding indole/psilicybin at al. content)
The poisonous mushrooms that are found around subaeruginosa's habitat are for the most part quite distinct with the acception of a couple of stropharia/hypoloma and galerina - none of which have purple spore prints or stain blue.
So if you get blue staining and a purplebrown spore print you reasonably safe.

--------------------

Offlinemoshroom
curious
Re: Subs - SE Suburbs, Victoria - Few questions and ID help [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #5667713 - 05/24/06 06:23 AM (17 years, 10 months ago)

id have to say that bread and wyscul are 2 of the most sensible ppl ive seen on this site, i just got off the phone to a mate that said a stranger handed him a handful of small white mushrooms that made him feel sick. and the people that u see that post pics and then say 'oh btw i just ate 1 to see if they were active'.

wyscul, sometimes i get subs that, when wet start to bruise dark but with a yellow tinge like one of ur pics seems to have, im precautious at first, i dont even mix them with the classic blue staining ones, but usually when they dry more that yellow tinge goes and i can see a definate blue bruising, if it doesnt i just chuck em, usually that only happends with one or 2 per every bunch and its probably safe to say it was a sub but i wouldnt risk it.

ur sporeprints look pretty spot on too btw, but i woulda left the caps on longer for more definition.

and thats a fucking cool looking pic of thoes 2 subs bread.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder