Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
This thread is very old and might contain outdated or inaccurate information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge [Bluefoot pics included]
    #5636778 - 05/16/06 11:16 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yesterday I found a completely new hunting ground. This one is most easily accessed by boat.

But I did find one road access point on the West Virginia side of the river.

Please don't think I'm giving away a specific location. The Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge spans the entire length of the river. Most of the islands or included, but some are not.

The place I visited is huge, with several different types of habit in the same general area.

There is an upper woodland habitat, hosting common woodland mushrooms. These Fawn Mushrooms were in abundance.

Fawn Mushroom [Pluteus cervinus]

The Platterful mushrooms were also abundant and can resemble the Fawn Mushroom. Platterfuls should not be eaten;  my mother and father were poisoned from eating them

Platterful Mushroom [Megacollybia platyphylla/ Tricholomopsis platyphylla]

In the same area I also fond this little fellow. I've never seen one in the Spring before.

[Hericium sp.]

There were also a few of these little pink ladies that Falcon and I were unable to ID at the gathering over the weekend.

After a bit, the woods opened into a recently constructed grassy hill area. There  are long lines of construction hay-bails stretching around the hill. I suspect they were placed there for erosion control. I checked for Pan subbs but found only these LBMs. I didn't spend much time trying to ID them, because I had not yet reached the part of the reserve where I suspected Bluefoot to be hiding.

Hay-bail LBM

At the bottom of this hill, and blocking my way to the lowland along the river, was a wall extending as far as I could see in either direction.

My little friend was at a loss.

"How will we ever make it to the land of the Bluefoot?" he said.

Fortunately, I had seen this type of barrier while working with the homeless in Columbus Ohio. There I met a wise old hobo who showed me how to get through. One might be tempted to crawl under standing railroad cars, but this should NEVER be done! The train could start moving at anytime and you could be literally cut in half. The safe way to traverse standing railroad cars is to climb across the link between two cars.

Or, if you don't want to deal with the hassle, you can always just walk around to the end, like I did.

Once across the tracks and down the embankment I found what I was looking for: Large tracks of Japanese Knot-weed, standing under tall silver maples.

Japanese knot-weed is hard to hunt because it's so thick you can only see directly in front of you as you swim through the stuff. But it is certainly rewarding.

I found these colorful little guys.

TBCM [Tiny Brightly Colored Mushrooms]  :grin:

And of course, Bluefoot was hiding under there, just like I hoped he would be.  :smile:

Bluefoot [Psilocybe caerulipes]

I only found the one patch before I stopped looking. I had no intension of collecting them, and having documented their existence and habitat in the refuge, I continued to explore other parts of of this remarkable hunting ground. I image if someone took the time to search for them, many could be found in the area. They grow from debris piles under the Japanese knot-weed. The patch I found was at the base of a silver maple. I also imaging they are living in similar environments up and down the Ohio River. 

On the way back upland I kept smelling what reminded me of really good fruity nugs. I thought maybe it was time to do my shirt laundry, but then I realized it was this tree. The leaves smell like fruity buds, and the gummy berries (left over from the fall) smell like citronella. I saw many saplings and trees about twenty to thirty feet tall.

ID requested

I was forunate enough to encounter a moving train as I approached the tracks separating the upland from the lowland.

And I also saw an invisible black panther. I distinctly saw a black animal, moving like a cat, but two to three time larger than any domestic cat I have ever encountered. He came out of the woods about a hundred yards in front of me and walked down the path, but when I took a picture this is what came out.

I have to admit, I was more concerned with finding a big sturdy stick at the time, than I was with taking pictures. I lost sight of him in my haste to find a weapon, but a little ways further up the path I saw a small black cat. Perhaps I imagined the big cat, or perhaps there were two, a big one and a little one. Anyway, when hunting mushrooms alone, it is always wise to carry a good sturdy stick.

:smile: :heart: :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge [Bluefoot pics included] [Re: shroomydan]
    #5636858 - 05/16/06 11:48 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Great stuff and photos. Those Hericiums are really good.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge [Bluefoot pics included] [Re: ToxicMan]
    #5636863 - 05/16/06 11:51 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks ToxicMan,

I tried a Hericium once. It was really tough and rubbery with very little flavor, but it was about the size of a basketball. How big is a good eating size?

OfflineMead
Closet Chemist
 User Gallery

Re: Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge [Bluefoot pics included] [Re: ToxicMan]
    #5636865 - 05/16/06 11:52 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Awesome adventure, glad you brought us along.
I'm loving this jap weed finds, I find it everywhere around me, hopefully soon I'll find some fungi.

--------------------

OfflineAsianYumYum
Stranger

Loc: Columbus, Ohio, USA
Re: Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge [Bluefoot pics included] [Re: Mead]
    #5636982 - 05/16/06 12:51 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

awesome finds Dan. you always find the bet places! i love those TCBM's. keep up the good work!!!

--------------------
Hail to the King Baby

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge [Bluefoot pics included] [Re: shroomydan]
    #5637040 - 05/16/06 01:17 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Shroomy Dan,

What a wonderful and fantastic travelogue and shroom pictorial adventure to share with all of us,

thanks a lot for the view.

Great footage of your voyage.

btw, Have you considered my note to you about the herbarium deposits and locations for Guzman's revision of the genus Psilocybe?

mj,

InvisiblelIXII
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Ol cane hills
    #5637187 - 05/16/06 02:09 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Seems to be a Phellodendron, cork-bark tree (Rutaceae, citrus family) (the leaflets of the compound leaf should become more lanceolate with age / in sunnier spots, and have some in-turning of margins - bark would be soft, cork-like on this tree), probably Phellodendron amurense, which is noted for fragrance and is widespread in your area.

Invasive from China, bark is febrifuge, stomachic, diuretic, expectorant, +, and should only be used carefully.

I wonder about the easternmost collections (recorded?) of caerulipes in the mid-atlantic??

So nice to come here and find more data, thanks for further habitat info!!!

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge [Bluefoot pics included] [Re: lIXII]
    #5637221 - 05/16/06 02:21 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Wow! An invasive Chinese Citrus! I never would have guessed. Thanks for the ID.  :smile:

---------

PM sent MJ :thumbup:

InvisibleFunkyLoFi
Existing

#5637399 - 05/16/06 03:02 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Nice finds Dan.  It seems you are mastering the "Hunt for the Blue Foot."  :yourock:

--------------------
All the people you knew were the actors

OfflineEinsteinMethod
Stranger

Loc: Cloudy skies
Re: Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge [Bluefoot pics included] [Re: FunkyLoFi]
    #5637431 - 05/16/06 03:11 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Very nice, I've spotted some Japanese Knotweed thanks to you and hopefully soon some MUSHROOMS!

Excellent quality of pictures.

--------------------

Fragments

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #5637538 - 05/16/06 03:35 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Awesome pics! :thumbup:

Were you able to fix your camera?

I remember falcon showing me those funnel shaped purple/pink ones too. I couldn't figure out what they were either.

Hericium is one of my favorite edibles. I mostly collect H. erinaceus though. They look different from yours kind of. Once hericium passes a certain stage, they even develop a sour taste.

What color gills did the colorful one have? It looks very cool. I'd expect it to be from mycena or hygrophorus possibly. I've seen some colorful mushrooms from those two genera anyway.

Great pics. :grin:

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #5637696 - 05/16/06 04:11 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

As eris noted, Hericium seem to become tough and develop a sour flavor with age. If you get them really young and fry them in butter they have a flavor and texture similar to crab. I've only gotten fairly small ones, say half the size of my fist.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #5638034 - 05/16/06 05:30 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I'll check the pm later shroomydan, the hijack trojan is at work again and I cannot open my home page.

Opens at different times and hours of the day. Right now I h am having static problems on my phone line. Cannot connect, takes minutes for a page to open, only if I am lucky and usuallyreads operation timed out when trying to connect.

It is really irritating. Three days ow with the time out problem. This morning the dial up shortcut refused to open for me to dial online. Took three hours of waiting to getr connected.

have a shroomy6 day and will pm youback when I getr in.

mj

OfflineDaveTX
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge [Bluefoot pics included] [Re: mjshroomer]
    #5638080 - 05/16/06 05:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yea thats a realy nice hunting turf that you have there. Dont get cought running your gill net through that river. And you never did PM me back about what a pelicute is...

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #5638863 - 05/16/06 08:49 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Nice finds. :thumbup:

OfflineDaveTX
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge [Bluefoot pics included] [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #5640024 - 05/17/06 12:46 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Hey mjshroomer, it sounds like you may need to reload your computers operating system. Asfar as trojen thing goes, you may need to contact your webserver's administrator and tell him to get that damn thing off the server and/or to reload the servers operating system. And for the phone static, I'm sorry to say but you may need to dig up your phone line and replace it. More than likely water has made its way into the insulation of your phone wires. After replacing your phone wires, try and getahold of the guy that previously installed them and woop some ass.

OfflineDaveTX
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge [Bluefoot pics included] [Re: DaveTX]
    #5640210 - 05/17/06 01:18 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I know that alot of the older phone wire setups were nomore than 2 wires without insulation berried 6 inches apart. Now I don't understand how sense was made of it, but this worked. Only problem is that now its 2006 ware people are running highly sensitive high bandwith computer communications over them. When you got exposed wires bared only 6 inches is when your going to take on electro magnetic interference. All it takes now is for some water to dampen the soil between the two wires and thats it! Your fucked' Water as almost as conductive as gold. And when you got wet dirt as the only thing separating the positive and negative flow in your phone line your fuked! flat out fucked. I meen there is no way in hell your going to run 56k or dsl on peaces of shit like that. this is the new ara!!! you cant have peaces of shits berried 6 inches apart and expect them to work on the information super highway!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains