Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Has anyone noticed??
    #563743 - 02/26/02 01:43 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I was wondering what results people have had from slightly more advanced innoculation techniques such as honeywater and mycelium syringes as compared to straight up spore innoculation. My friend has been using both of these lately and colonization goes great, but as far as actual fruiting goes, it doesn't seem to compare as well to using spores. Anybody wanna comment on this??

"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Has anyone noticed?? [Re: Visigoth]
    #563762 - 02/26/02 02:05 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

When using spores, you get lots of different races growing at once. The chance of having all "poor fruiting" races is very small. When you switch to liquid innoculation, you are typically using a single race which has been isolated. If the isolated race was a poor performer, then all crops generated from the isolated race will be subpar as well. The upside is that once you isolate a good performing race, you will always get the same results again and again (within reason).

Just another spore in the wind.

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: Has anyone noticed?? [Re: Seuss]
    #564081 - 02/26/02 09:02 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Not quite.

Using a liquid suspension technique to grow live tissue from a multi-spore inoculation would be the same as using a plate of agar. This is not an isolate but a multi-spore or multi-sector culture. If you were right and a strain could isolate itself and extinquish all of it's competitors, the mushroom would soon go extinct.

Now to answer the first question, I have tried the honey water procedure and I can say it is excellent for someone who would want to make much more inoculant from a small supply. I don't really think there was that much improvement in overall colonization speed when I tried it but I'm sure this would be a different story if it actually was in isolate and different strains weren't competing to colonize the substate. However, this was not my goal. I was only interested to see if it would work and it did. It's not something I would use myself in my culturing routine but it was fun to try something different. I would like to try it again one day using a clone from agar. This would work great for those who can't afford an Eberbach container [but it you can, GET ONE!].

Freedom defined is freedom denied.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation